Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Marvel Comics doesn't care about you, just your money.

EPIC FAIL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By EPIC FAIL
    Link to original article

I implore you to read the article. It is very important.

It's time people know about this who haven't yet seen this article. Marvel is raising the price of their books only to make more money. It is an insult to everyone who reads comics. We're in the middle of a hard time, especially in America. People are losing their jobs and can't afford to much extra. Comics take our mind off the tougher stuff going on, and a $1 increase in their most popular books does not help the cause.

Marvel declared bankruptcy in 1996... I hope they go there again with b.s. like this.
    Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Aronmorales

Raising prices?
    shame.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By No_Name_

If you think about it, Hallmark cards cost just as much (sometimes more) as comic books...and I feel like a lot more work is put into comics.

Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Andferne
    @Babs said:
    " If you think about it, Hallmark cards cost just as much (sometimes more) than comic books...and I feel like a lot more work is put into comics. "
    Agreed.

That and there are numerous ways that you can look at the rise of comic prices. America's 'hard' times are not just affecting us the comic readings, but the people who produce them as well.
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By No_Name_
    @Andferne said:
    " @Babs said:
    " If you think about it, Hallmark cards cost just as much (sometimes more) than comic books...and I feel like a lot more work is put into comics. "
    Agreed.That and there are numerous ways that you can look at the rise of comic prices. America's 'hard' times are not just affecting us the comic readings, but the people who produce them as well. "
    Yup! And the increasing number of people who feel that they are entitled to download all their comic books, doesn't help the industry one bit. So if you feel like pointing a finger, you need but to look around you.
    Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Aronmorales

money is the reason I don't try and collect single-issues, I'd much rather wait for a series to be put together in a volume before purchasing.

Chaos Agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Chaos Agent

Thing is, Marvel has to pay writers, artists, letterers, inkers, editors, printers, cover artists, etc. to produce their comics, if you don't keep a stable income Marvel would have to fire personal or those same people would go to other mediums to work.

Besides let's face it 3.99 ain't that much

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By No_Name_
    @Aronmorales said:
    " money is the reason I don't try and collect single-issues, I'd much rather wait for a series to be put together in a volume before purchasing. "
    Thats a great way to do it!

I think I'm gonna blog about this today. Thank you Epic Fail :D
    EPIC FAIL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EPIC FAIL

From the article:
    "Marvel titles from $2.99 to $3.99 is part of an ongoing process of testing just how much money they can make from publishing comics."
    "our company is a cash machine"
    "Our goal is to maximize our revenue, and if we’re not maximizing our revenue then our pricing is wrong and we have to take a look at that. So you can hope that we see that attrition and our prices come down."

EPIC FAIL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EPIC FAIL
    @Chaos Agent said:
    " Besides let's face it 3.99 ain't that much "
    It's that mentality that allows them to raise the price this much without offering anything more to the reader.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#11  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

$3.99 to $4.99 adds up after a while

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By No_Name_
    @EPIC FAIL said:
    " @Chaos Agent said:
    " Besides let's face it 3.99 ain't that much "
    It's that mentality that allows them to raise the price this much without offering anything more to the reader. "
    They give us comics for free on their website, though.
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @EPIC FAIL said:
    " From the article:"Marvel titles from $2.99 to $3.99 is part of an ongoing process of testing just how much money they can make from publishing comics.""our company is a cash machine""Our goal is to maximize our revenue, and if we’re not maximizing our revenue then our pricing is wrong and we have to take a look at that. So you can hope that we see that attrition and our prices come down." "
    That's sounds like every companies business model. If we're not making money and people are buying our product we need to raise the price. Its called good business. Now if they start raising prices closer to $6-$7 dollars for a regular 24 page issue, that's when you start complaining about prices.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @EPIC FAIL said:
    "Marvel declared bankruptcy in 1996... I hope they go there again with b.s. like this. "
    It reminds me of the card-o-polooza that happened during the 90s. all their effort went into merchandising and not as much into comics.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#15  Edited By xerox_kitty

The cover price of new comics is shocking... but this isn't news.  It's old.  The article you linked to was a month old, and it was old news by the time Rich Johnston wrote it.

YES, Marvel are out to make money.  That's what publishers do.  Yes, I think the cover prices are too much.  That's why I don't buy every single issue like some brain dead teenager who doesn't understand what the words "quality" and "recession" mean.
    speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By speedlgt

well 1st you dont buy 5 or more hallmark cards a month! and 2nd hallmark cards are a must Buy in most cases that require a card Mothers day and such.
    3rd. I am all for giving the creative staff the money they deserve but we dont know that they are getting that money from this price increase. There is no one who can justify that this increase is a good thing for Comics or fans anyone who thinks this is all fine is dead wrong.

comics cost too much for entertaiment DOLLAR and thats at 2.99 a book! you make it 3.99 a book or 5.99 which is what are all gonna have to live with since all of are us "meant to suppot the industry the the local comic shop"  every time I hear that it sounds like some tree huger save the planet jazz.

look people are stealing comics like nothing.....then the king MARVEL says let me raise the price! Yeah that worked really well for the music industry! its like that video in the other thread you have to compete with the pirate NOT raise the price to where fans cant buy it! or put your fans in jail.

look you marvel zombies dont pay them! we have control stop buying there crap and the sales will drop and so will the price.
    switch to DC for just 2 months and they will learn.
    bunch of greedy suits.

better yet buy TRADES and nothing but JOIN THE DARK SIDE LOL!!!

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By pixelized

Stop producing crap, sales will rise again, and prices will drop. 

I refuse to support Greg Land/Matt Fraction on my X-men.

Beast:"hey Psylocke, where'd that new power come from?"

Psylocke: "I just woke up with it, let's go beast"
    Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Slinger

I doubt that prices will ever drop. It doesn't matter if sales fall too much either. Marvel is a business, they are going to try and make the most money possible. If they raise prices, sure sales may fall, but that alone doesn't mean they will make less money. Some titles will probably have to be cut, but when they cut a title, they also cut a lot of jobs necessary to produce that title, which could save them in the long run. Titles that are selling well, and that are extremely popular will most likely  continue to sell well, despite price increases. If you figure a comic cost $3.00, and assume Marvel isn't raising salaries, depending on how much of a percentage of that three dollars goes to the actual creation of the book adding another dollar per issue on say "Amazing Spider-Man" for example, will make that title's profits soar, and possibly cancel out a weaker title being cut like say, "Captain Britain and MI13".

The only way that prices will come down again is if sales for only the books that's prices increase drop off. So, when you go out to buy your comics, check the price tag, if it says $2.99 or less, go ahead and make the purchase, if it says $3.99 or higher, leave it alone. Even if it's a must have issue that changes the status quo for your favorite character, that's just a trick they throw at you because they think you are stupid enough to fall for it. The only way to get prices to drop, is to show the company that comics that exceed a certain price tag will not sell. This goes for events too. Sick of Marvel using gimmicky events to rope you into buying fifty tie-in comics in a week? Don't buy them. If enough people stop, they'll eventually get the hint. The real reason Marvel, and any company, can get away with high prices and bad stories is because we keep buying instead of "just saying no."

Also, on piracy: I'm against pirating comics, other things I really could care less, but there is a specific reason why comics piracy irks me; I hate digital comics. Now, I know that a lot of people will try to argue against piracy because it hurts the artist/publisher/whoever, but I don't care about them at all, and haven't seen any real data to believe that's necessarily true. The real victim of comic book piracy is the medium itself. Now, in Babs' thread from a few days ago, I posted a video about how to beat pirates companies may need to figure a way to compete with them. The theory behind that, is the pirates often have discovered a "better way" to receive whatever it is they are stealing, and as far as music goes, this is very much the case, and companies such as Apple have created means of competing with the piracy with things like iTunes. The problem with competing with pirates in comics, for me anyway, is I don't want to read comics on my computer screen, and for companies to compete with the pirates, they'll have no choice but to digitize everything. I really would prefer not to have iComics some day. Of course, I could be the minority there. If the market decides that digital comics is what it wants, then who am I to argue? I may not like it, but all things eventually evolve, but until then, I propose that comics fans who don't like comics prices just stop buying the expensive ones, because piracy will lead to a less expensive maybe, but also less interesting product.

speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By speedlgt

I am a huge support of an icomics store its what basically the industry and fans need its the next step...however the price must be correct 1 dollar NO MORE fans must feel like they are geting a deal for a digtal file. it must be cheaper since in owning a digtal file I have something that is not collectable in ANY fashion. to make that appealing (not having a collectable) it must be cheap.

I think it would be great to be able to get 10 comics a month for 10 dollars! 
    collectors who want to buy cardboards and plastic proctors can keep paying 5.99 a comic I want the digtal stuff.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By John Valentine
    @Babs said:
    "If you think about it, Hallmark cards cost just as much (sometimes more) as comic books...and I feel like a lot more work is put into comics. "

I'm sorry but nothing is more sentimental than a Hallmark card. FACT lol

On the subject, I don't really care about the rise; I care about the quality. A dollar here or there is fine as long as it stops at a dollar (which it won't). $3.99 issues should  include a couple of pages more of material or a running sub-story so that the buyers would at least be getting a little more their money.
    Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hawk

I'm fine with them raising their prices.......we don't have .10 cent comics anymore. It's part of life, ink cost more, paper cost more, artist cost more, blah blah blah....ect ect.

Kastiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kastiel

I'm fairly okay with it. Even though I spent $33 today on Marvel Comics trying to keep up, but atleast half of it came from Green Lantern Sinestro Corps War Volume 2.

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Slinger
    @Hawk said:
    "It's part of life, ink cost more, paper cost more, artist cost more, blah blah blah....ect ect. "
    According to the article, it really doesn't have anything to do with cost of production. It's all about maximizing profits, which I'm also okay with since we do live in a capitalist society, which I prefer.
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By No_Name_
    @pixelized said:
    " Stop producing crap, sales will rise again, and prices will drop. 
    I don't think Capitalism works that way. Maybe in theory,
    Avatar image for eisforextinction
    EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By EisforExtinction

All the variant covers I buy are putting somebodies kid through college.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By pixelized
    @Babs said:
    " @pixelized said:
    " Stop producing crap, sales will rise again, and prices will drop. 
    I don't think Capitalism works that way. Maybe in theory, "
    Their Movies see a nice return, surely they aren't hurting too badly.

The point i was trying to make though was that, if you're going to raise a price, i'd like a raise in quality as well. Why would anyone pay 4 dollars for anything Greg Land has touched? It's like paying to watch your favorite singer stand on stage and lip synch, i'll youtube instead and put the money i saved toward a bagel at starbucks.
    Avatar image for theycallmemoney
    TheyCallMeMONEY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheyCallMeMONEY

I agree that if the prices go up the quality needs to step up as well. So far I think Marvel has done a good job keeping up with the quality of their comics. There are some that are complete garbage, but just stop buying those and eventually they will cancel that series.

Someone also mentioned that Marvel offers comics for free online so if you can't afford comics for a time period you can check those out to get your fix. There are also tons of other comics out there that are really good from such publishers as Boom Studios and Dark Horse Comics. I am sure there are many more, but you need to search around and check out some reviews of different stuff. You actually may find some new cool comics you would have never found otherwise.

LastSon1027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LastSon1027

The price raise sucks but I know that my comic shop gives you a ten percent discount on new comics if you have a pull list. I'm not sure if other stores do that but at least that is something.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By Methos

so that's about £2.50 sterling... well, we're already paying about £2.75 to £2.99 anyway because of import costs and all that... so if Marvel put their prices up another doller, then prices will be about another £1 for us after costs.

so we're talking about £4 for a comic... No thanks...

Sorry, but i've got more important things to spend £4 on, i'll just give up buying Marvel and stick to just DC whose comics are still at £2.25 over here

M

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.