Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Marvel Character Dialogue Project - Assistance Needed

Arsonide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Arsonide
    No Caption Provided

Let me get to the TLDR first, and then we'll go over the details. I am collecting a little over eleven thousand lines of dialogue for over four hundred Marvel characters. I have been working on it on a daily basis for about five months now, and I'm about 40% done, but I periodically reach out for assistance, as I have created it as a collaborative spreadsheet that anybody can assist with. I did this because my knowledge of the Marvel universe is not complete, and because of the size of the project. Anybody who contributes and responds to my posts will get credit in the final version of the project. How hard can it be to make up some dialogue? Well pretty tough if you want that dialogue to sound believable. Many characters have mannerisms, accents, or catch phrases that I want to come across in the text, and a lot of these characters are obscure and have only appeared a few times, so there's actually more research involved than you might think. I've actually been using Comic Vine for a lot of that research, in addition to the Marvel Wikia. Up until now I have mostly been using direct quotes from the comics, but that well is starting to run dry, and I'm guessing most of the future contributions will have to be original writing and/or roleplaying.

So why am I doing this? Well I have found a game that can simulate comic book worlds: different dimensions, timelines, areas, people going between them, managing their secret identities, forming supergroups, displaying personality defects, having personal lives, and all of that. You can watch Thor jump back and forth between Asgard and Midgard if you want, doing his thing. It's fascinating to watch. For this game, I have found a Marvel mod that adds a ton of characters, and accurate personalities, attributes, and powers for them. Here is that mod in action...

This essentially creates a pretty realistic Marvel simulation of sorts. You can jump into it and screw with the Green Goblin's plans, or you can sit back and watch as he terrorizes the city, but other heroes will try and stop him. It's fascinating. The only thing - there is support for dialogue in Comic Book Hero, but nobody added dialogue for the Marvel mod, due to the high amount of characters. I think with dialogue, this would be singlehandedly the best Marvel game available. Yes it's text based, but it has so much more potential. Hitler can attack from the past. Spiderman 2099 can assist from the future. The possibilities really are limitless.

The game is already playable, but nobody talks. I want to change that, and I'd love your help to make that happen faster. If you know anything about Marvel characters, please check out the characters you know, if they don't have dialogue, add some, if they do have dialogue, make sure it is accurate, if not, modify it until it is. If you reply after a modification of the spreadsheet, I will credit you when I release the mod. The mod will be a noncommercial fan work. This is a labor of love, not profit. Even if you don't care about the mod, the project itself is pretty interesting, all of the dialogue I've collected in one spot. It could potentially be used for other projects as well. It's a good resource.

The spreadsheet has tabs along the bottom that separate the characters alphabetically. The first tab is a readme page that goes into more depth into certain things, such as why certain characters and certain dialogue cells are shaded different colors. (It might mean, for instance, that a character does not speak often or at all, such as Black Bolt.) So check out that first page. Right now most of the dialogue is combat related. There is non-combat dialogue in the game, but that is going to be added later down the line. The game even supports direct character to character dialogue, such as the Green Goblin directly addressing Spiderman about past events between them, and that's also in the future plans. When that gets in you'll start seeing a lot of personal touches to the mod, but for now I'm focused on generic dialogue in combat.

For now you will need to copy paste any links, as I cannot figure out how Comic Vine external links work. The main project spreadsheet is available HERE: http://goo.gl/mr9E51

The original mod was balanced in a certain way, there had to be more villains than heroes, because over time heroes throw villains in jail, or psychiatric wards, or kill them. The game uses a system of retcons and breakouts and so forth to release them back into the game eventually, but at any given moment there's a good bit of them out of commission. For this reason you might not see some of your favorite characters. I have created a second spreadsheet for this purpose of adding new characters, but it is not my primary focus right now. I will add these characters after the main spreadsheet is complete and implemented, if I can do so and maintain balance. That sheet is available here: http://goo.gl/1KvGjd

Thank you guys for any assistance you do offer. I will finish this eventually, even on my own, the possibility of having a Marvel sandbox of this detail is a good enough motivator - but your assistance will make it happen faster.

Arsonide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have collected a list of characters that I have no dialogue for, and I've made a form submission with those characters only, and on those characters I am only asking for the five most important lines of dialogue, as opposed to the full 20+. I've had a good bit of submissions from this form, and as I get them I remove them from the list, so it will get shorter the more submissions that come in.

I'm hoping this will help ease some of the intensity of the project, and focus the effort on where it is needed most.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/105M6-p9ZNm0rrCpAHu_NyVaI4_4qxhTRTzaWrBN07FU/viewform?usp=send_form

There is the form. I am also considering incentivizing submissions. I have a box of Marvel comics from the 90's incidentally, and might send those out to people that are submitting the most dialogue. I have no idea what they are worth though, so for now, just make sure you fill out that attribution box. At the very least it gets you into the credits, at most, you get a box of comics out of it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.