Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Marvel Character Ages

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By doordoor123

The last issue of Invincible Ironman featured Tony Stark turning 35. That got me wondering. Does Marvel keep track of each character's age? 
    I estimated to about 5 real years to 1 Marvel Universe year and back tracked Tony Starks life. I found that if he is currently at the age of 35, then in 1963, when Ironman was created, he was in his mid 20's. Which could make sense. 
    I took that research and used it elsewhere. Spider-man, AKA Peter Parker was (im guessing) around the age of 15 when he became Spider-man. After i apply my research it seems he would now be around the age of 24 or 25. 
    Recently, in an interview, the writer of the new series "Wolverine and Jubilee" said that Jubilee was 17 years old in this series. I backtracted Jubilee to when she first appeared in 1989. Twelve years old. If you do the math she would be around the age of 16 or 17, which makes sense. 
    So yes, i do believe this company knows how to manage its character's ages. What do you think?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Sometimes I think they do keep track. Though I think they make it up on occasion.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By iLLituracy

I was sort of shocked when Jubilee said she was seventeen in that book. I mistook her for being at the very least 18. 

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Decept-O
    @doordoor123:
    This may have previously been discussed but another criteria to keep in mind is this when applicable to comics:  A single issue of a comic book, which normally gets published every month or every other month, sometimes can feature a story where the time involved is a matter of only minutes.  Heck, sometimes seconds, nano-seconds, or even no "time" at all, depending on the story.   It can also be about one day, a few days or a month.  So the time concept is drastically altered in the comic book universes at large, whether it involves Marvel or DC or other company.   

So while Spidey appeared in the 1960's, in "real life" it was perhaps 10-15 years ago (  I know someone will correct me, ha!). 
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @Decept-O: 

Very true. 52 is one of the only comics told in real time.
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Decept-O
    @JediXMan:
    Wasn't there something else told "in real time" as well?  Seems like there was but my knowledge is failing here.
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By PowerHerc

I think the ages of comic characters are vague and inconsistent.  I think it should stay that way.  
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Decept-O
    @PowerHerc:
    I hear what you're saying.  The thing is, " generations" of readers will come and go concerning comic books, so the trick is for the companies  to make the characters more or less consistent.  I mean, Superman and Wonder Woman and Batman, have been around virtually for 70 years averaged out.  ( Again, my math will be off it is approximate).   

So while these characters have been around longer than most of us have been alive ( excluding G-Man and Red L.A.M.P., God those guys are  old)  I think it has been the comic book companies' plan to make them the same age essentially although, I've noticed some "aging" going on lately, so it will be a slow trend so to speak.   

Oh, to add, that's right, I think Savage Dragon has been written and published with a "real time" concept.  Or at least it was at one time.
    doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By doordoor123

It seems to me that writers try to age characters slowly but also keep the times current. Kind of like the world around the characters is moving faster than the characters themselves.   

@Decept-O:

Yes. well i am well aware how often comic books are made and how much time stories take. That was in no way part of what I am saying. Just because comics are written every month and stories take X amount of time, doesnt mean the writers cant say, "Lets age them every 5 years". Im not saying that  Marvel comics characters live in real time. Im just assuming that writers at Marvel map character's ages.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By danhimself
    @Decept-O said:
    " @doordoor123: This may have previously been discussed but another criteria to keep in mind is this when applicable to comics:  A single issue of a comic book, which normally gets published every month or every other month, sometimes can feature a story where the time involved is a matter of only minutes.  Heck, sometimes seconds, nano-seconds, or even no "time" at all, depending on the story.   It can also be about one day, a few days or a month.  So the time concept is drastically altered in the comic book universes at large, whether it involves Marvel or DC or other company.    So while Spidey appeared in the 1960's, in "real life" it was perhaps 10-15 years ago (  I know someone will correct me, ha!).  "
    this is pretty much my exact argument when people complain about certain characters appearing in to many books
    doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By doordoor123
    @danhimself said:
    " @Decept-O said:
    " @doordoor123: This may have previously been discussed but another criteria to keep in mind is this when applicable to comics:  A single issue of a comic book, which normally gets published every month or every other month, sometimes can feature a story where the time involved is a matter of only minutes.  Heck, sometimes seconds, nano-seconds, or even no "time" at all, depending on the story.   It can also be about one day, a few days or a month.  So the time concept is drastically altered in the comic book universes at large, whether it involves Marvel or DC or other company.    So while Spidey appeared in the 1960's, in "real life" it was perhaps 10-15 years ago (  I know someone will correct me, ha!).  "
    this is pretty much my exact argument when people complain about certain characters appearing in to many books "

and again. this has nothing to do with what i am talking about.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.