Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Marvel Announces new Collections added to the Marvel App!

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By bingbangboom

http://marvel.com/news/story/16657/digital_comics_collections_on_the_marvel_comics_app

Marvel Entertainment, the top comic publisher in the world, has announced the release of digital comic collections on the Marvel Comics app, featuring the world’s most popular super hero icons! This marks the first major digital release of super hero comic collections, featuring some of the most acclaimed and influential stories from the last decade.

“We’ve heard the fans asking for collections on the app and we’re happy to deliver them today at an unbeatable price,” said Peter Phillips, Senior Vice President & General Manager, Marvel Digital Media Group. “This is only the beginning of some exciting new developments to make the Marvel Comics app an even bigger success.”

The collections launching today on the Marvel Comics app are:

• Astonishing X-Men Vol.1: Gifted

• Captain America: Winter Soldier Vol.1

• Invincible Iron Man Vol.1: Five Nightmares

• New Avengers Vol.1: Breakout

• Spider-Man: Maximum Carnage

• Thor By J. Michael Straczynski Vol.1

• Ultimate Spider-Man Vol.1: Power and Responsibility

• Ultimate Fantastic Four Vol.1: The Fantastic

• Ultimates Vol. 1: Super-Human

• Ultimate X-Men Vol. 1: The Tomorrow People

“From the moment Marvel made history as the first major publisher to enter the digital comics space in 2007 to this momentous announcement today, our goal has always been the same—grow this industry,” explained David Gabriel, Marvel Senior Vice President of Sales. “For this launch we’ve chosen some of our top collections that we’re confident will both resonate with new readers and encourage them to visit their local comic shop via an ad in each collection.”

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/story/16657/digital_comics_collections_on_the_marvel_comics_app#ixzz1YGvImQ24

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By bingbangboom

Wanted to post the news story first but just doing price comparisons.

From what I have seen the Digital Collections are cheaper than "retail" but cost more than Amazon's price. I do enjoy the collection stuff and the fact that they are finally embracing it. I think more casual readers would rather get a collection vs. issues because they may not be accustomed to issues. I also think that eventually we will see comics move to this format with books just being released as trades/hardcovers instead of issues. I prefer it even though some people don't like it they would eventually get over it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.