Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Looking to get into some Marvel comics...

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MiniSaladFresh

I've always been a DC guy, but I'd like to start reading a Marvel series or two. I know that Amazing Spider-Man just restarted at issue 1 following Superior, how is that so far? I'm interested in Spider-Man and that seems like the best jumping on point imaginable, but since my DC reading list is already longer than I can even afford, I don't want to waste my time/money on it if it hasn't been very good since it restarted.

I would also be interested in Thor, Captain America, or Wolverine/X-Men. If I were to only read two series out of Spider-Man, Thor, Cap, or Wolverine/X-Men, which would you recommend? And what would be the best issue to start collecting from?

Thanks in advance

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

its a good jumping point, but i personally don't care for Slott as a writer at all. plenty do though.

Thor's series is great. Start at issue 1 of Thor: God of THunder. Cap's current series sucks ass. Go back and read Ed Brubaker's run - its amazing.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FearTheLiving
    Read it, love it, live it.
    Read it, love it, live it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I second the Thor recommendation. I didn't even like thor before trying that, now I love him.

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MiniSaladFresh

@fallschirmjager: thanks, I'll start picking up God of Thunder in trades and possibly get issue #1 of The Amazing Spider-Man. Probably won't bother with any Cap just yet, like I said, I already have more titles on the go than I can manage, but I'll put Brubaker's run on my list for if I end up dropping anything.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@minisaladfresh: If you're looking for X-men stuff pick up All New X-men- read it from the beginning, if you can. If you have extra cash also check out Uncanny X-men, though that's not as good a title.

Don't bother with Wolverine and the X-men, it's awful.

Try reading Superior Spider-man. Personally I enjoyed it, but it tends to be very divisive.

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MiniSaladFresh

@squares: Thanks, I'll check out All New X-Men when I get the chance.

If anyone has any suggestions on some other titles they've really enjoyed I'm open to pretty much anything, however obscure or out-there it may be.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its a good jumping point, but i personally don't care for Slott as a writer at all. plenty do though.

Thor's series is great. Start at issue 1 of Thor: God of THunder. Cap's current series sucks ass. Go back and read Ed Brubaker's run - its amazing.

I agree except for the Cap part...the current run is decent but not great. Iron Fist is on issue 1 (good start point). Also consider hawkeye.

Please check out Ed Brubakers Cap run you will be happy you did.

If you like Spider-Man check out some older runs you can find info on that on wiki or here in the Spider-Man thread. I say this because you will get a better feeling of who Peter Parker really is.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Black Widow!

Moon Knight!

Both are two of the best books being published right now, and neither of them has even reached 10 issues yet (in fact, I believe Moon Knight is only at #4), so the back issues would be really easy to track down.

hawkgal15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hawkeye is an absolutely amazing series out right now and possibly my favorite. Also, since the movie is coming out soon I'd also recommend Guardians of the Galaxy, not to mention it's a fun read. The current Iron Man series is really good as is the Captain America.

Djainess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black widow is great. Love the writing and Noto's art :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.