Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Looking for a good Starting Point for Marvel Comics

TechXRenAgadeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By TechXRenAgadeX

I'm somewhat new to comics. I've become a big Batman fan (by Scott Snyder) and the Aquaman series was pretty good (Geoff Johns only lol) but I've really wanted to give Marvel Comics a chance as well i just honestly wouldn't know where to start I picked up the Amazing X-Men #1 and thought it was decent but i was looking for something more like where im not coming into a middle of a story. I know its hard to find series like those but can anyone recommend a good Marvel Series where it feels like im starting from somewhat the beginning of something. I know its alot to ask but even if its something that feels new im game to try it out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Read Marvels.

TechXRenAgadeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: is that some kind of a joke? or is it an actual series?...I'm interested in X-Men but i feel its way too far along unless theres some sort of series I havn't checked out.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

@techxrenagadex: Most Marvel NOW issues are good jumping points (the ASM one wasn't exactly the best example of this) so if you see a title you're interested in, give it a try!

Hawkeye, Daredevil, Uncanny Avengers (especially issues 12-) and Thor: God of Thunder are my personal favorites.

As for X-Men, All New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, and X-Men are my favorites although they are pretty far along now though so you might have a little bit of catching up to do

PS Marvels is an actual comic book, it came out in the 90's

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

No Caption Provided

@techxrenagadex: No, it's a real book. It'll give you a working grasp of the Marvel universe.

TechXRenAgadeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphu8414: Ah. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I might check out some of the Marvel Now comics and see which ones I'm interested in. I just wasn't sure if Marvel had something like that Thanks alot :)

TechXRenAgadeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DUY12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I subscribed to Marvel Unlimited for $10/month. It's a great comic book reader app. Has almost all the latest issues of recent years up until maybe 6 months of our current release date.

Binge read like it was Netflix. Then I picked up a lot of the #1 issues that are currently being released. Like: Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk, All New X-Factor, and Silver Surfer. All those are pretty light hearted.

During your time with the Marvel Unlimited App, you might notice some writers and artists that you love, and some that you hate. Those help me form a lot of the titles on my pull list.

GhostRider88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By GhostRider88

@techxrenagadex: Trying out Marvel Comics is a great choice, it's all I read personally. But yeah, it can be tricky so the best thing to do would be to either pick a series or pick a character and just follow them. I don't think there's any certain kind better than the other, as long as you start from the beginning of a series. You can pretty much get all the background information you need on any character or team from a wikia. But it also depends on how you plan your reading schedule to go. If you're going to read a lot, than do what I said, only multiply it to 4 or 5 different series. Also, maybe I'm different than most but I always like getting something a few years old so I don't wait every month for the following issue but that's just me.

There's so many good choices but I'll give you a few REALLY good series recommendations:

Punisher vol. 6

Nova vol. 4

Ghost Rider vol. 3

Daredevil vol. 2

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@techxrenagadex said:

I'm somewhat new to comics. I've become a big Batman fan (by Scott Snyder) and the Aquaman series was pretty good (Geoff Johns only lol) but I've really wanted to give Marvel Comics a chance as well i just honestly wouldn't know where to start I picked up the Amazing X-Men #1 and thought it was decent but i was looking for something more like where im not coming into a middle of a story. I know its hard to find series like those but can anyone recommend a good Marvel Series where it feels like im starting from somewhat the beginning of something. I know its alot to ask but even if its something that feels new im game to try it out.

For good Marvel books that have only started recently, Peter David's All-New X-Factor is really good. There's only 7 issues so far, it's an all-new team, so you don't need to know too much history to get into it, and it probably is one of Marvel's best books right now. It's about a corporately funded superhero team and features primarily Quicksilver, Polaris, and some others, with Gambit is the main character.

Also, the latest version of She-Hulk is only on issue 4, and it's been really fun.

if you're more interested in X-men, Wolverine & the X-Men was just re-launched and there's only been 3 issues so far. It seems to be a bit of a polarizing title among X-fans, but as a longtime X-men fan myself, I think it's quite good.

I'd also highly recommend Bendis' Uncanny X-Men. it's on issue 20 now, but it's really good. If you wanted to give it a chance, I'd recommend starting at issue #14 and just catching up on the earlier stuff if the more recent stuff grabs you.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Spideysense44

@techxrenagadex: Read all new ghostrider, ironfist, and all new xfactor, and nightcrawler. Three of these are only on second issue

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By spider11211

Iron Fist

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.