Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Literally no idea where to start

Dohyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Dohyl

So, Marvel... I only watched the movies. I have never ever read any comic. And I saw this Marvel universe is really complex. Every character in other character comics, 372625 different versions or alternatives. The only comic I read is Spider-Girl(reading atm, only at 6th issue but seems fun.Btw what is differnce between Spider-Girl and Spider-Woman?)

My question is, where do I start? I read Uncanny X-Men issue 1 is good start, is it?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@dohyl: Are there any specific characters you want to read about?

Dohyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith: Deadpool, but also curious about whole universe, so what comic is where it all began? How to chronologically( wrong spelling?) read to understand marvel universe.

Tempalca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Tempalca

@dohyl: Well considering Marvel is restarting a lot of comics at issue #1 with Marvel Now! it comes down to what kind of characters you wanna read about like Xwraith said. It's not really a linear chronology, I mean, pick something like the Avengers or an X-men series, get to know some characters and then you can always go back to their best story arcs afterwards. If you really need a starting point, I would suggest House of M or Civil War. If you're interested in the Cosmic (Alien) side of things, then it's Annihilation without a doubt. But those go back to ~2006

Here's an overview of the latest renumbering : All-New Marvel NOW!

Dohyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tempalca: Okay, I guess I'll start with Uncanny X-Men...

chem86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By chem86

@dohyl: I totally know where you're coming from, I didn't really get into comics until I saw the Avengers movie. Much like you I didn't know where to start, so I grabed some of the big ones(Iron man, avengers, deadpool, spider man) which was fun I don't recommend it. My advice is to pick up some comics with groups (x-men, avengers, thunderbolts,ect.), this a great way to get a feel for many of the different characters and genre's all in one place.

The only way to find what you is truly for you is to explore, and the quickest way to explore the marvel universe is group's normally. Also maybe try some event's, they normally have massive amount of characters and really give them some chances to shine. ( I recommend Infinitiy Gauntlet, famous marvel event, classic and easier for people new to comics and marvel) I bought a ton of the marvel now stuff, which did help me find what I enjoyed the most, but it really was reading group comics and events that helped me find what I was most into.

Dohyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chem86: Alright, thanks everyone for help.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dohyl: If you want to dive into X-men, it is mandatory that you first read AvX. You can get it off Amazon, ComiXology, or Barnes & Noble.

After that Uncanny X-men and All-new X-men are both pretty good, but I honestly prefer the latter.

I also suggest you read the Dark Phoenix Saga and Civil War.

Good luck, brother!

Dohyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Avatar image for timetraveltravetz
    TimeTravelTravetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You made a huge mistake.

nobodyisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By nobodyisemo

If you want to read street-levelers, to begin, I recommend Frank Miller's Daredevil, which is called Daredevil, Vol. 1 on Amazon, it is average at first because it's just his art and Roger Mckenzie writing, but with issue 167 the comic's quality improves by 100,000,000. on to Bendis's (which is 20 years after Frank Miller's, but easy to comprehend especially if you read Guardian Devil before this), Brubaker's, then Waid's (which is my second favorite DD run). It was hard for me to navigate at first too, but I got used to finding what I want to read and now I know what I like and I like what I know. Another great street-leveler is Iron Fist, but, sadly, all I've read of him is in Daredevil and Fraction/Brubaker's absolutely brilliant Immortal Iron Fist, which, if you want to read, is called Immortal Iron Fist: The Complete Collection Volume 1. Honestly, I only know them at Marvel, I still need to get into Spiderman, Fantastic Four, X-Men, the cosmic stuff by Starlin and what-not. However, I have been collecting the single issues of Walt Simonson's Thor, and Hickman's Fantastic Four (mostly because they are cheap and easy to find and they had an overabundance of both of these runs at an antique store I go to) and I intend to delve into the canyon of Marvel rapidly within the next year.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man my advice on where to start in Marvel is the same advice i'd give for any kind of series honestly. Figure out what characters you like to narrow your focus, and then narrow it a little further to maybe around three at the most. From there, search around for some classic stories on them, along with a few more recent ones, and build your database from there.

Kokemabb200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Kokemabb200

@dohyl: If you like Uncanny X-Men you should--in this order--read:

House of M

X-Men: Schism

[Optional] ---X-Men: Regenesis

Messiah CompleX

Messiah War

Avengers vs. X-Men

You don't HAVE to, and it's a bit convoluted but it gives the best introduction to the Mutants and what they're all about. Also, if you read them all in succession, you get a pretty great understanding of Cyclops and what he's about. Reading it definitely moved him into my top 5 comic characters.

I also find that if you don't read them, you probably end up hating Cyclops or thinking he's boring because there's not much character development in him done by Bendis. It'll also help with easing into "All-New X-Men" which crosses over with "Uncanny X-Men" regularly

Tell me what type of characters you're interested in and I can help you find something you'd like.

Kokemabb200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@timetraveltravetz said:

You made a huge mistake.

lmao.. I know, starting with X-Men is like asking for trouble

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.