Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Just saw First Class, now I want to read Marvel and be marvelled.

haveanicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By haveanicelife

The movie was great, the xmen were great, it was all great.  Emma Frost had boobs and mystique was awesome.  I really liked all of it.
    Now recommend me some good xmen comics to read, or where to begin.  

I also wouldn't mind reading some cosmic and be marvelled in cosmic proportions.

Also, I'm currently reading spawn, at it issue 15...does it get any better or is it always this boring? 
    I have no idea how it became so popular in the 90s...I mean the concept is cool but omg it's sooo boring. 

Planewalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Planewalker

The X-men from the 90's were the best, it defined the mutants for the new generations, form there on the story lines get kinda complex and weird and with lots of plot holes and major fails, but there's good stuff like what Mike Carey is doing on X-men legacy... search the site of the main storylines and start reading 

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By ReVamp

Some image comics in the 90s are different. They just had a different style. The best way to get into X Men right now is to start in Regenesis.

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4  Edited By noj

I personally dont like the X books since there are so many of them and you have to be VERY caught up on their back story to understand alot of what goes on, but even I would have to recommend Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender. Its an absolutely awesome book. Other than that if you want to check out other X-Men books if you wait a like a month or two Marvel is relaunching Uncanny X-Men at #1, and are launching a new book called Wolverine and the X-Men which looks like it could be cool

Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Larkin1388

Uncanny X-Porce Dark Angel Saga has not disappointed yet.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7  Edited By owie  Moderator
    @Planewalker said:
    The X-men from the 90's were the best, it defined the mutants for the new generations, form there on the story lines get kinda complex and weird and with lots of plot holes and major fails, but there's good stuff like what Mike Carey is doing on X-men legacy... search the site of the main storylines and start reading 
    I'd have to disagree that the 90s was the best period of the X-Men, but that's just individual taste.  I'd go for collections from the 70s and 80s myself.  Chris Claremont wrote them for more than a decade and is usually acknowledged as the guy who really brought them into their own after the initial period.  The Claremont/John Byrne years were full of key runs, including the original Phoenix stuff, and later Claremont runs included the Morlocks and Marauders and much more, with several excellent artists like John Romita Jr and Mark Silvestri. A huge percentage of the current characters were introduced then.

A lot of the original 3 X-men movies, plus First Class, came from Claremont's issues.  Not the whole thing, but lots of pieces.  Emma is evil in that period though.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Gambit1024

Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men's where it's at. 

Seriously. Some of the biggest X-fans will back me up. I've never heard a complaint. It's gold. 

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Don't get your hopes up.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jnr6Lil

If you want a full chunk of X-Men or even a full chunk of Marvel, try reading something like Age of Apocalypse or Civil War, I've enjoyed both of those. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.