Just Ask The Jonas Brothers

• 81 results
Posted by StrongProtector (92 posts) - - Show Bio

While the Staff at Comic Vine may not agree with the opinions in the article below, we still hold the belief that everyone's opinions are valuable. In fact, I imagine that some of the skeptics over the Disney/Marvel business deal may relate to what they read below. Big thanks to our ghost writer who for obvious reasons wanted his identity to remain anonymous. So for an alternative opinion to mine, enjoy the article below. 
-B

Just Ask The Jonas Brothers

In the life of a geek, there are certain moments that you never forget where you were when it happened. Like when they announced the release date for The Dark Knight or when Robert Downey Jr. was cast as Iron Man. But this was bigger. Much bigger.

I was on the elevator up to the 17th floor of 2 Penn Plaza in NYC around 9AM when the Reuters feed on the bottom line of the news ticker flashed it. I nearly dropped my coffee in disbelief as I exclaimed “Egad!” to myself (okay, maybe I didn’t really exclaim anything, but it was big enough to warrant it). Upon reaching my destination I sprinted to my desk and set up my laptop. A Google search proved fruitful, as NYtimes.com had already run an article on it. Within 10 minutes of that moment, Bob Iger sent out his typical company wide mass e-mail announcing the news.

Marvel was now a property of the Disney Corporation.

It was like my own personal M-Day, but instead of images of fliers instantly losing their powers and crashing into the city streets below though, the thoughts of Wolverine being forced into something like Kingdom Hearts 7 or the wings on the side of Captain America’s head being replaced with giant mouse ears filled my mind.

I am an employee of the Disney Corporation.

I have had the mouse smiling that smug, insidious, all-knowing smile back at me on my paychecks now for almost three years and can tell you exactly what it means that Marvel is now a member of the Disney Corporation.

Imagine the Phalanx from X-Men. An organism bent on assimilating all it comes in touch with and eliminating all original thought from existence as it adds more and more to its all-conquering hive mind.  That is the Disney way.

Sure, Disney can come out during a press conference and say they are going to have a more hands-off approach, but I’ve heard and seen that before. Once Marvel starts making money for its new parent company (fiscal experts are predicting the second quarter of 2012), I would give it six months before characters like Deadpool (whose popularity might be at an all-time high) are forced back into comic book obscurity because Disney only cares about one thing. It has been drilled into me since I set foot into my first Disney owned studio back in January of 2007.

There is nothing more important than the Disney brand and image.

Anything off-brand will be assimilated or eliminated.

I’ve seen it with radio programs, TV concepts, and even sports-related podcasts. Once something shows it can turn a profit and be of use to the hive-mind, the mouse and his subordinates have to sink their fingers into it and meddle around until the original product is a barely recognizable perversion of its original form (just ask all these musical acts Disney has spawned).

Aside from regular FCC rules, Disney enforces a strict moral code that it expects all its employees to follow. Disney is not here to entertain or provide good content, it is here to make money and impose its own code upon the people foolish enough to consume their media.

Anything with excessive blood, language, or questionable topics will see the full wrath of the mouse come down upon them. Disney’s image is a politically correct, non-threatening image and anything that goes against that is either worn down until it breaks so it can be rebuilt in their image or has the plug pulled immediately and will never see the light of day again.

I have been able to avoid full assimilation myself for the most part because, until now, as a comic and video game reviewer, I’ve been able to toe the line between being both unprofitable and off-brand.

So, Disney might stay true to their word for some time that they are only going to use their power to help Marvel’s worldwide influence and to help finance and possibly re-launch their various movie series while trying to make a dent in what has long since been Disney’s Kryptonite (I understand that is a DC reference, but I think it paints the best picture), the 18-34 male demographic.

But give it a little time. We might be revisiting this in just three years when we see the Punisher putting flowers in the guns of enemy soldiers instead of bullets in their face from a high caliber rifle.

I have to go now. The mouse may be on to me….bzzzt….M-I-C….K-E-Y……….

-StrongProtector
#1 Posted by badog (61 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, that could land someone in a lot of trouble lol
I really hope disney does nothing, hopefull y they'll just bring out some more cartoons : D

#2 Posted by ryanwh (373 posts) - - Show Bio

I admire the effort you guys are putting into crowd control here-

RABBLE RABBLE THEY GONNA TURN BLOOD INTO RAINBOWS MY LIFE IS OVER

Oh dear god they're back for more.
#3 Posted by Tyler Starke (4410 posts) - - Show Bio

Well now I just plain don't know what to think about that, I felt  better about the whole Disney take over after reading inferior ego's article yesterday, but gee willickers this article from the anonymous Disney employee has just made me sad again. Well I'll say it right here and now, If and when i see a noticeable difference in marvel comics in a negative way because of Disney, I will put down comics for good, that is untill I have kids who want to read the latest adventures of X-men and pals mousey edition.

#4 Edited by ryanwh (373 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tyler Starke said:

" Well now I just plain don't know what to think about that, I felt  better about the whole Disney take over after reading inferior ego's article yesterday, but gee willickers this article from the anonymous Disney employee has just made me sad again. Well I'll say it right here and now, If and when i see a noticeable difference in marvel comics in a negative way because of Disney, I will put down comics for good, that is untill I have kids who want to read the latest adventures of X-men and pals mousey edition. "

This was satire, guy.
#5 Posted by badog (61 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tyler Starke said:
"  want to read the latest adventures of X-men and pals mousey edition. "
Well the ongoing X-Babies is coming out soon, so you may be reading them again very soon...
#6 Posted by MysterioMaximus (931 posts) - - Show Bio
@ryanwh said:
" @Tyler Starke said:
" Well now I just plain don't know what to think about that, I felt  better about the whole Disney take over after reading inferior ego's article yesterday, but gee willickers this article from the anonymous Disney employee has just made me sad again. Well I'll say it right here and now, If and when i see a noticeable difference in marvel comics in a negative way because of Disney, I will put down comics for good, that is untill I have kids who want to read the latest adventures of X-men and pals mousey edition. "
This is satire, guy. "
The original poster certainly doesn't think so. Though it's certainly riddled with humor, satire is not part of it. Is it so hard to believe that a reasonable person can consider this a bad move? Stop being so opinionated. *rollseyes*
#7 Posted by MrCipher (276 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure I completely understand the Jonas Brothers reference (except for maybe the South Park episode featuring Disney). I don't follow those 3 extremely untalented kids, but I did catch their "performance" on last year's, or the year before's, New Year's Rockin' Eve (New Year's Eve is kind of an annual blur -  and should be). I have to say that they cannot even carry a tune; it was God Awful! 
So maybe Strong was illustrating that Disney produces sub-standard trash and calls it entertainment? Because thats the message I got out of the reference.
#8 Posted by bx1 (193 posts) - - Show Bio

lol. Right now, a Disney operative is checking the elevator surveillance videos at   2 Penn Plaza. 

#9 Posted by MJ Styles (93 posts) - - Show Bio

Very interesting read.  I just don't see the logic in Disney eventually taking a more hands on approach with Marvel.  I mean Disney HAS to know that Marvel publishes violent, gritty, and adult material with some titles, and if they choose to meddle with this then they'd be running the risk  LOSING that demographic (males 18-34) that they so desperately want to attract.  It doesn't make sense to me.

#10 Posted by Tyler Starke (4410 posts) - - Show Bio
@ryanwh said:
" @Tyler Starke said:

This was satire, guy. "
Gee golly it sure looked serious
#11 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

Like I said before and I'll say it again .

Disney is an evil,evil corporation. Seeking world domination.
#12 Posted by Tyler Starke (4410 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not really to worried about it, I'm in the 18-34 male demographic and hell I secretly love it when my girlfriend wants to watch old school disney movies, SHhhhh don't tell her though, I'm tough and only love action movies

#13 Posted by inferiorego (21112 posts) - - Show Bio

Great article! While I agree 100% that Disney is in it to make money, that should be obvious. I'm still not on board with them changing the books up. Disney does own Miramax and Touchstone, they're not always squeaky clean. 

It really is great though to see an opinion of someone from the company.

Staff
#14 Posted by RaptorFratBoy (550 posts) - - Show Bio

Knee-jerk reactions are simply that, nothing more and nothing less. I'm just glad that 99.9% of the people that claim to be leaving Marvel behind just because they got bought by Disney are just saying that to be aborad this Anti-Corporate bandwagon, but will really still be buying the comics. 

Because they WILL NOT CHANGE. Unless Marvel's numbers take a 1996-level dip in sales, Disney has no reason to enforce any changes, and they've even said so themselves. Marvel is a good 30% above their main competition, DC, so why would Disney want to come in and risk destroying what's obviously an already-successful business model? 

I know it's the purpose of the IntardWebz to come together in a mighty rage, fists in the air, at the drop of such a monumental hat. This is big news, yes, and I'm sure changes will in time be made. But if all you're going to see is negative, that's all you're going to feel about it. Look for some positivity, and hopefully you'll find it there. 

But the second I see even a hint of "Xavier's School For Gifted Youngsters The Musical", I'll be right with you in putting the bullet into my Marvel fandom. Hell, I'll just write my own versions...they typically entertain me more, anyway...

#15 Posted by Bobby X (1141 posts) - - Show Bio
@MJ Styles said:
"Very interesting read.  I just don't see the logic in Disney eventually taking a more hands on approach with Marvel.  I mean Disney HAS to know that Marvel publishes violent, gritty, and adult material with some titles, and if they choose to meddle with this then they'd be running the risk  LOSING that demographic (males 18-34) that they so desperately want to attract.  It doesn't make sense to me. "

Exactly. Its not in their best interests to try to sensor or make Marvel content more kid-friendly in anyway.
#16 Posted by Green ankh (998 posts) - - Show Bio

Things will go the way they are going to go.  Wolverine has already been watered down by Marvel its self.  and for me things have swung to a over vilent way any how. So whos to say it will be bad.  Heck its better then Marvel going broke again.
#17 Posted by ARMIV (4140 posts) - - Show Bio

...Since yesterday,I've been trying so hard to try and come to grips with this...but...I can't.
I'm so disappointed in Marvel for actually buying into this just for the sake of money,and I've been disappointed in Disney since the mid-90's. Everywhere I go,I see it or hear about it...and it hurts. I've always wanted to do a project for Marvel,but if Disney is going in for total control,then...I dunno.

Tell me I'm over-reacting,I don't care. Marvel didn't have to do this,but they did,and I'm mad about it.
A little hurt too...

#18 Posted by TommyElliot (1 posts) - - Show Bio

For a guy who works for the Disney corporation, he doesn't seem to be very aware of the fact that Disney also owns Miramax films - the distributors of R-rated films such as "Clerks", "Kill Bill", "Gangs of New York", and such. By his logic of the situation, Disney would have never allowed those films to have seen the light of day, and would have gone all out to make sure they were stopped or heavily toned down to a ridiculous degree. But they weren't.

I'm sure Marvel will be fine.

#19 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7561 posts) - - Show Bio

I swear Disney is getting more and more like Weyland Yutani :P

Funny thread though, I got the impression of a Tyler Durden like existence from our poster.

#20 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

I say we trash Disneyland if they even hint at touching Marvel's comics.

#21 Posted by MysterioMaximus (931 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bruce Vain said:
"Like I said before and I'll say it again . Disney is an evil,evil corporation. Seeking world domination. "

Disney's got nothing on Hell-Mart...I mean Wal-Mart. I'm convinced they'll black out the sun and enslave the human race under the ironic glowing smiley face logo, mocking us as we harvest our friends for enegry. But darn are those prices affordable...who needs freedom when you can buy iced tea for fifty cents? ...
#22 Posted by inferiorego (21112 posts) - - Show Bio
@TommyElliot said:
" For a guy who works for the Disney corporation, he doesn't seem to be very aware of the fact that Disney also owns Miramax films - the distributors of R-rated films such as "Clerks", "Kill Bill", "Gangs of New York", and such. By his logic of the situation, Disney would have never allowed those films to have seen the light of day, and would have gone all out to make sure they were stopped or heavily toned down to a ridiculous degree. But they weren't.  I'm sure Marvel will be fine. "
A lot of people also forget they own ESPN, Touchstone, and a whole lot of other companies.
Staff
#23 Posted by Riezner (417 posts) - - Show Bio

VERY interesting...

#24 Posted by Quest (108 posts) - - Show Bio

everthing i love is a lie

#25 Posted by MysterioMaximus (931 posts) - - Show Bio
@Omega Ray Jay said:
"I swear Disney is getting more and more like Weyland Yutani :P  "

But...but...but the logo says they're building better worlds...*cough*...*cough*...*vomit*...*chest explodes*...X.X...
#26 Posted by Harvester427 (21 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this slightly edited Penny Arcade quote best describes my feelings:

If Disney changes one Goddamn thing– I will kill myself. And when my tainted spirit finds its destination, I will topple the master of that dark place. From my black throne, I will lash together a machine of bone and blood, and fueled by my hatred for Disney this fear engine will bore a hole between this world and that one.

When it begins, they will hear the sound of children screaming – as though from a great distance. A smoking orb of nothing will grow above their beds, and from it will emerge a thousand starving crows. As I slip through the widening maw in my new form, they will catch only a glimpse of my radiance before they are incinerated. Then, as tears of bubbling pitch stream down my face, my dark work will begin.

I will open one of my six mouths, and I will sing the song that ends the Earth.     

#27 Posted by MysterioMaximus (931 posts) - - Show Bio
@Harvester427 said:
"I think this slightly edited Penny Arcade quote best describes my feelings:

If Disney changes one Goddamn thing– I will kill myself. And when my tainted spirit finds its destination, I will topple the master of that dark place. From my black throne, I will lash together a machine of bone and blood, and fueled by my hatred for Disney this fear engine will bore a hole between this world and that one.

When it begins, they will hear the sound of children screaming – as though from a great distance. A smoking orb of nothing will grow above their beds, and from it will emerge a thousand starving crows. As I slip through the widening maw in my new form, they will catch only a glimpse of my radiance before they are incinerated. Then, as tears of bubbling pitch stream down my face, my dark work will begin.I will open one of my six mouths, and I will sing the song that ends the Earth.      "

...you could always just shoot them...
#28 Posted by The Crimson Nutcase (813 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aronmorales said:
" I say we trash Disneyland if they even hint at touching Marvel's comics. "
Yeah and go kidnap those JoBro's and hold them hostage!
#29 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes!

#30 Posted by TheOmegaMan (165 posts) - - Show Bio

How many more articles are we going to see about this on here? You get most people crying like babies about the sale, and a few sane people telling us that if Disney is to spend 4 billion dollars they probably have a good idea of what they are doing... 

GET OVER IT.
#31 Edited by elessar (100 posts) - - Show Bio
GOD HELP US..!!!!!!!
#32 Edited by DMC (1550 posts) - - Show Bio
is it time to hit the PANIC! button again?

@TheOmegaMan said:
" How many more articles are we going to see about this on here? You get most people crying like babies about the sale, and a few sane people telling us that if Disney is to spend 4 billion dollars they probably have a good idea of what they are doing...  GET OVER IT. "
Doesn't this remind you of the President's health care plan? You have people who support it others who have legit concerns and others who think it's the APOCALYPSE.     :P
#33 Posted by CPTSteve (43 posts) - - Show Bio

Disney is not against sex - they own ABC which runs Desperate housewives. 

Disney is not against violence - they own ESPN which occasionally features boxing, MMA, etc. 

Disney is not against adult topics, it created Touchstone to be able to produce movies with sdult themes.  It bought Miramax to be able to support "Indie"-type films. 

Just because Disney owns a company, does not make it Disney.  If they take away the name Marvel and put Disney on the comic books, worry.  The Disney name is what they cherish.  I truly believe Marvel will be run as an independent brand under the Disney coporate umbrella, which can only help for all the reasons previously listed.  There are 2 Disneys out there.  Disney coporate and Disney creative.  Disney corporate is a massive, strong corporation now backing up Marvel, as well as bringing greater experience in the movie field to develop their own properties.  Disney creative makes kiddie entertainment.  You may see more Disney comic books, but don't fret for Deadpool or Wolverine.  They'll be fine.  You're just more likely to find them on a toothbrush now. 

The musical acts spoken of in the article (Jonas Brothers, Demi Lovato, Hannah Montana) are "Disnified" because that's where they live.  They are under the actual Disney brand, not an offshoot.  They sing on the records, star in the TV shows and movies, and represent Disney solely.  They have to remain safe to keep the trust of parents who buy the stuff for their kids.  Notice Miley Cyrus is now releasing edgier stuff.  She's not releasing it on the Disney label.  She's releasing it under Hollywood Records, a different Disney company.  She can stretch there because it's not on the Disney name.  Just like you can see a show about a pregnant teenager on ABC Family but not on The Disney Channel. 

Marvel will be fine and can only become stronger for this
#34 Posted by Samuraikenpo (143 posts) - - Show Bio

All I really have to say about this Disney buying Marvel is Thank God Batman is a dc character!
#35 Edited by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

"Aside from regular FCC rules, Disney enforces a strict moral code that it expects all its employees to follow. Disney is not here to entertain or provide good content, it is here to make money and impose its own code upon the people foolish enough to consume their media. "

i liked this part.  i'm glad this author had the cajones to do this

1. From what i've heard from friends who know ex-employees, they treat their workers like shit. they're under appreciated, over worked, and get really bad benefits.

3. have you seen the disney chanel? anything with a pretty face (and demi lavoto) will be put on air to make those little girls squeel, thinking that they're watching quality tv, while they're watching crap. i could ramble on and on about the horrors of teh jonas brothers and hannah montanna.

@Aronmorales

said:

" I say we trash Disneyland if they even hint at touching Marvel's comics. "

I'll be there.
#36 Posted by Ultimate Lantern (26 posts) - - Show Bio

The minute I see any Marvel character looking like any of disney's sucky poster people I'm dropping Marvel and moving on to DC

#37 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio
@StrongProtector said:
"I am an employee of the Disney Corporation. I have had the mouse smiling that smug, insidious, all-knowing smile back at me on my paychecks now for almost three years and can tell you exactly what it means that Marvel is now a member of the Disney Corporation. "
Of course you are, dear.  Why, we don't need any proof of identity, or occupation.  Aside from the fact that you haven't provided any concrete evidence about the inside structure of Disney, or insider knowledge of the talks involving John Lasseter that all sounds like personal bias without any foundation.

Of course you sound like an 'employee'...  You sound like an employee who has been stuck behind the till of the Disney store.  
#38 Posted by kaorumonster (33 posts) - - Show Bio

Ekkk. I'd barf at the sight of ANY MARVEL CHARACTER be turned into a DISNEY character. I hope to God they don't do anything at all to Marvel. If they interfere in ONE THING I'm off Marvel comics for good. And Disney too. I can't help but imagining that Astonishing X-Men image on one of the poster things they hang by the lamp posts at Disneyland. This image to be exact.

But in a more cartoony, silly way.
#39 Posted by Constantine (16046 posts) - - Show Bio

hmmm I'm just gonna wait

#40 Posted by NightFang (9817 posts) - - Show Bio

Save yourselves  the pian Marve l fans and just kill yourselves right now.

#41 Posted by Lord's Angel (1093 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they knew it was coming all along!
#42 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lord's Angel said:
"
I think they knew it was coming all along!
"
LOL!  I've always loved that cover :D
#43 Posted by Crimson Thunder (286 posts) - - Show Bio

It would b e kind of cool to have Wolverine in Kindom Hearts, but this article was pretty stupid.

#44 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

if anything, this is a bad idea because Disney's monopoly over the entertainment world just expanded to new borders.  and even if they dont touch marvel, they'll still be there.

Walmart is to stores as Disney is to entertainment

#45 Posted by inferiorego (21112 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mbecks14 said:
" if anything, this is a bad idea because Disney's monopoly over the entertainment world just expanded to new borders.  and even if they dont touch marvel, they'll still be there.  Walmart is to stores as Disney is to entertainment "
If you want to talk about monopolies on entertainment, let's talk about Viacom.
Staff
#46 Posted by inferiorego (21112 posts) - - Show Bio
Staff
#47 Posted by Dark Cell (447 posts) - - Show Bio

i say all of us buy marvel shares till we all have more shares than Disney, then once we are all on the board we can take controll! mwahahahahahahah.
#48 Posted by inferiorego (21112 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dark Cell said:
" i say all of us buy marvel shares till we all have more shares than Disney, then once we are all on the board we can take controll! mwahahahahahahah. "
Or just give control to John Lassetter (Head of Pixar). He's a phenomenal storyteller and cares more about the film than the revenue.
Staff
#49 Posted by Psychotime (623 posts) - - Show Bio

Let me just say this - Kill Bill is a Disney movie. There is nothing to whine about.

EDIT: Whoops, someone beat me to it.

#50 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio

If something bad happens to marvel, sad day. 

I won't be that crushed considering I have just as many DC and Darkhorse titles! 

But I'm not to worried about it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.