Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

I've got Back Issues

Avatar image for playdohsrepublic
    playdohsrepublic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By playdohsrepublic

About 2 years ago I was rather uncermoniously laid off from my job. It was around the same time that I discovered the GitCorp Marvel DVDs, which offered pdf files of tons of comics. I had purchased Amazing Spider-Man and Fantastic Four, while a friend of mine picked up Captain America. With extra time suddenly in my lap I decided to do something crazy... I was going to read every issue of ever major Marvel title ever!  

Didn't quite  work out that way. I found that some characters, like Daredevil and Thor, didn't interest me enough to dedicate that kind of commitement to. Others were just so damn daunting (X-Men I'm looking at you) that it would require it's own time. But I ended up with a pretty extensive list of titles anyway. Naturally I started at the beginning with Fantastic Four #1.  

I read each issue starting with the earliest cover date for a year and ending with the last for that year before moving on to a new title. Basically I will read Jan-Dec but sometimes a book was bi-monthly or didn't start until the middle of the year etc. I know that often the cover date doesn't mean anything but its easier for me to coordinate all of my titles and the Gitcorp DVDs already organize it that way.

Here is a list of books I'm currently reading: 

Amazing Spider-Man 
    Avengers 
    Captain America 
    Defenders 
    Fantastic Four 
    Iron Man 
    Luke Cage Hero for Hire 
    Marvel Team-Up 

I'm going to start reviewing the years giving them an overall grade and pointing out highlights, like first appearnces or really great story arcs and the like, starting with 1973, which is where I am currently. If there is anyone who would like to join me that would be great because there are a ton of books. like Thor, Daredevil and Hulk that I'd like to do but it really is too much. Also I have other titles in the pipeline when I get to them like West Coast Avengers and the related Spider-Man titles. Anyway, I'll be putting up reviews for Avengers, Defenders and Captain America in the coming days. 
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Mercy_

Awesome!

Cervantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Cervantes

Wow, very ambitious! Sorry about your job -- what an economy...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.