Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

It's Official - Marvel is Revamping (Sort Of)

• 61 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Hickman on Avengers is pretty awesome news.

Nudeviking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By Nudeviking

@Prodigy P said:

@Nudeviking said:

@Prodigy P said:

@iLLituracy said:

@Gambit1024: You do understand that Nick Fury is still around, right? Marcus Johnson/Nick Fury Jr. is a different character. That's like saying anyone related to another character or any character designed to replace or usurp an old character's position is unnecessary.

True, but that's not the problem here. Introducing this new Fury is unnecessary because it's a cheap move to bring the movie version into the mainstream universe.

Like it or not, most people are probably more familiar with the Samuel L. Jackson version of Nick Fury than the comic version now so it makes sense from a marketing stand point to have the comic version look like the movie/cartoon/video game version of the character.

Wait though, do you mean most comic readers, or people in general? Because if it's the latter, I'd sort of understand.

People in general. My wife, for instance, never really read western comics, but after watching Avengers wanted read some. One or two trades into her reading adventure I had to explain why Fury was "suddenly white" even though he had been black in the movie and the first book she had read (Ultimates).

Prodigy P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Prodigy P

@Nudeviking said:

@Prodigy P said:

@Nudeviking said:

@Prodigy P said:

@iLLituracy said:

@Gambit1024: You do understand that Nick Fury is still around, right? Marcus Johnson/Nick Fury Jr. is a different character. That's like saying anyone related to another character or any character designed to replace or usurp an old character's position is unnecessary.

True, but that's not the problem here. Introducing this new Fury is unnecessary because it's a cheap move to bring the movie version into the mainstream universe.

Like it or not, most people are probably more familiar with the Samuel L. Jackson version of Nick Fury than the comic version now so it makes sense from a marketing stand point to have the comic version look like the movie/cartoon/video game version of the character.

Wait though, do you mean most comic readers, or people in general? Because if it's the latter, I'd sort of understand.

People in general. My wife, for instance, never really read western comics, but after watching Avengers wanted read some. One or two trades into her reading adventure I had to explain why Fury was "suddenly white" even though he had been black in the movie and the first book she had read (Ultimates).

Ah, the ol' explanation about alternate universes which don't necessarily involve character consistency. I get it ^_^

But still, I don't think it takes away that much from the reading experience. Furthermore, comics are their own medium, with their own plots and quirks. As such, they should not be influenced by the big screen. Comic book movies are adaptations: influence should be the other way around.

Nudeviking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By Nudeviking

@Prodigy P said:

@Nudeviking said:

@Prodigy P said:

@Nudeviking said:

@Prodigy P said:

@iLLituracy said:

Ah, the ol' explanation about alternate universes which don't necessarily involve character consistency. I get it ^_^

But still, I don't think it takes away that much from the reading experience. Furthermore, comics are their own medium, with their own plots and quirks. As such, they should not be influenced by the big screen. Comic book movies are adaptations: influence should be the other way around.

I agree with you for the most part. Comics should be what the movies are based on and not the other way around, but occasionally something from the non-comic world catches on and the comics can't help but to bring those bits and pieces into the comic universe as well. Harley Quinn and Renee Montoya both were created for the Batman cartoon but ended up being fairly important characters in the comic book universe as well.

When the top selling Marvel book is selling under 200,000 copies and The Avengers film has earned all the money the world has it's no surprise that they wanted to try to capitalize on the movie. Personally I think the way they went about creating an Earth-616 black Nick Fury was kind of lame. Nick Fury Samuel L. Jackson edition already exists in the Ultimate Universe and as other books have shown us, there are ways for characters to go between those two worlds. I think people would have less of a problem if Ultimate Nick Fury and 616 Nick Fury had switched places instead of some random third character being created.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By iLLituracy

@Prodigy P said:

@iLLituracy said:

And there's nothing wrong with that.

That's what always happens. They relaunch and make the character appear more like his movie counterpart to grab the attention of people who enjoyed the movie or seek to read a bit before the movie.

People think that's cheap, but when it comes down to it this is a business, and the harsh reality of it is that it's an ailing medium a lot of the time. Not just comic books but books in general. It's stayed afloat partially due to the movies, which means if you can get those people who go see the movie to buy the books and make them avid readers--if you can get at least a FRACTION of those people to do that, then you'll have a healthy business.

Giving the mainstream universe a Nick Fury that looks like Sam Jackson isn't a bad thing, because it seems like Marvel in recent years has pushed the mainstream universe to the forefront compared to before when the Ultimate Universe was the universe for new readers. And it has been stated that Marcus is to take Nick's place eventually, permanently. Though, Marvel has made statements much like this when it comes to other characters and it's been reversed. Sticking to it's guns isn't Marvel's strong suit.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By AgeofHurricane

So, um, i think it's pretty safe to say that Marvel has more or less forgotten that they have characters that appeal to a different sort of audience, not even the so-called "new readers" that they're constantly going on about would know of this these days, though. You know, not the red-faced testosterone filled men who shoot on sight and argue like idiots, or even the odd premenstrual woman whom's past always comes back to bite her on the ass.

Marvel, where have your children gone ?

Not everybody's a fan of sweaty armpits and saggy moobs popping up everywhere, whatever happened to The Runaways, the Young/New X-Men or even those Young Avengers ? (don't want to hear about AA, that's not even a kid's book, it where mentally deranged "teens" gain super-powers and act as if there's a place for them in this world.) This whole revampe/re-launch thing is cute, it really is, but the editorial is getting far too complacent in thinking that they're pleasing the majority of their fans with this (which might be the unfortunate truth), when, they could be getting some profit somewhere else.

Marvel and their money-making schemes.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#57  Edited By Gambit1024

@Nudeviking said:

@Prodigy P said:

@Nudeviking said:

@Prodigy P said:

@Nudeviking said:

@Prodigy P said:

@iLLituracy said:

I agree with you for the most part. Comics should be what the movies are based on and not the other way around, but occasionally something from the non-comic world catches on and the comics can't help but to bring those bits and pieces into the comic universe as well. Harley Quinn and Renee Montoya both were created for the Batman cartoon but ended up being fairly important characters in the comic book universe as well.

When the top selling Marvel book is selling under 200,000 copies and The Avengers film has earned all the money the world has it's no surprise that they wanted to try to capitalize on the movie. Personally I think the way they went about creating an Earth-616 black Nick Fury was kind of lame. Nick Fury Samuel L. Jackson edition already exists in the Ultimate Universe and as other books have shown us, there are ways for characters to go between those two worlds. I think people would have less of a problem if Ultimate Nick Fury and 616 Nick Fury had switched places instead of some random third character being created.

And my stance on the issue is exactly that.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Vance Astro doesn't approve of black Fury.

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By majestic99

@iLLituracy said:

@Gambit1024 said:

No Caption Provided

Cyclops what are you WEARING.

Thor has swords now.

Rocket Raccoon is on the Avengers.

Nick Fury Jr. is on the Avengers.

Is that Cable? Man what.

Well, I can't deny that this team looks Uncanny.

I trust Remender, but...

I can't help but side-eye this.

Why does Thor have swords? Marvel always has to f*ck up my favorite characters...

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @majestic99 said:

Marvel always has to f*ck up my favorite characters...

Does it really ruin Thor for him to have basically the same costume with swords added? Really? I mean it doesn't make any sense but I'd think you'd be more worried about how they are going to write him in the future.
    majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By majestic99

@Vance Astro said:

Does it really ruin Thor for him to have basically the same costume with swords added? Really? I mean it doesn't make any sense but I'd think you'd be more worried about how they are going to write him in the future.

When I learned Wolverine could toe to toe with Thor, I found out Marvel f*cked up Thor beyond belief.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.