is there anything marvel creates that arent a rip-off?

• 137 results
#1 Posted by Macest128 (806 posts) - - Show Bio

well?

#2 Edited by JediXMan (29679 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright, I don't like Marvel, I hate most of the things they've done in recent years, and I am quite vocal on both points, but come on now. They do have some original characters. They aren't all ripoffs.

#3 Posted by rawrnosaurous (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadpool

/thread

#4 Posted by SC (12724 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't this thread a rip off of your other thread where you try to claim DC invented (or at least didn't acknowledge he wasn't original) Solomon Grundy and Hulk is a rip off of him? *smile* 

#5 Posted by darth_brendroid (1717 posts) - - Show Bio

Namor the Sub-Mariner.

#6 Posted by JediXMan (29679 posts) - - Show Bio
@rawrnosaurous said:

Deadpool

/thread

Not helping my point...
#7 Posted by Man Without Fear (219 posts) - - Show Bio

None of their characters are rip-offs. Ripping characters off is against the law and since no legal action has been taking against Marvel I would say they don't have ANY rip-offs. Marvel has characters inspired by others but so does DC. Even characters like Superman whom Marvel has used as reference material for quite a few of their characters. Most characters in comics aren't completely original or characters in general. Alot of characters are inspired by something or someone so....

#8 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC said:

Isn't this thread a rip off of your other thread where you try to claim DC invented (or at least didn't acknowledge he wasn't original) Solomon Grundy and Hulk is a rip off of him? *smile*

This.

#9 Posted by JediXMan (29679 posts) - - Show Bio
@Man Without Fear said:
None of their characters are rip-offs. Ripping characters off is against the law and since no legal action has been taking against Marvel I would say they don't have ANY rip-offs. Marvel has characters inspired by others but so does DC. Even characters like Superman whom Marvel has used as reference material for quite a few of their characters. Most characters in comics aren't completely original or characters in general. Alot of characters are inspired by something or someone so....
For the most part, yeah. But some are just blatant about it (example: Deadpool. Mr. Wade Wilson was ripped off of Deathstroke, whose name is Slade Wilson. Not a ripoff, you say? Both are mercs, I'd like to clarify)
#10 Posted by Man Without Fear (219 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
For the most part, yeah. But some are just blatant about it (example: Deadpool. Mr. Wade Wilson was ripped off of Deathstroke, whose name is Slade Wilson. Not a ripoff, you say? Both are mercs, I'd like to clarify)
Right we all know that Deadpool has blatant similarities to Deathstroke but at the end of the day there are alot more things about them that are different than there is that is similar. I can't call Deadpool a rip-off because they have so many huge differences. 
#11 Posted by JediXMan (29679 posts) - - Show Bio
@Man Without Fear

I'm not saying there aren't differences, but...

I mean, look at Sentry. Sure, nothing like Superman. But the guy is looked at as the world's superhero idle (... well kinda) and has a big S on his costume. Maybe it's the S that makes it so blatant. I don't know. But come on. Originality is not dead.
#12 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Man Thing (Marvel) pre-dated Swamp Thing (DC) for one. :p Booya!

#13 Posted by Man Without Fear (219 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
@Man Without Fear:   I'm not saying there aren't differences, but... I mean, look at Sentry. Sure, nothing like Superman. But the guy is looked at as the world's superhero idle (... well kinda) and has a big S on his costume. Maybe it's the S that makes it so blatant. I don't know. But come on. Originality is not dead.
I know that you weren't saying that there aren't differences. I'm just saying that most characters, even ones that get referenced for others repeatedly, like Superman,Batman etc. have traits that appear to be borrowed from characters that came before them. There may be some characters that are somewhat original but I can't think of very many that don't have some traits that where used for previous characters.
#14 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
lol beat me to it by 43 minutes
#15 Posted by Macest128 (806 posts) - - Show Bio

@Man Without Fear said:

we all know the young avengers are a rip-off of the teen titans

#16 Posted by EnSabahNurX (2313 posts) - - Show Bio

@Macest128 said:

@Man Without Fear said:

Because they are legacy characters? You are using the term Rip-off pretty loosely here considering the members of young avengers are just copies of The Avengers

If they were a rip-off their characters would be copies of the teen titans with small changes, just because they are a team of young super heroes doesn't = rip-offs

But if them being young heroes makes them a rip off then teen titans is a rip off of x-men because they are a team of teens with powers XD

And most heroes are inspired by mythology and legends so then Superman is a rip off of Hercules

No character is original, they are all INSPIRED by another character or a story/religion....etc

#17 Edited by Macest128 (806 posts) - - Show Bio

@EnSabahNurX said:

@Macest128 said:

@Man Without Fear said:

Because they are legacy characters? You are using the term Rip-off pretty loosely here considering the members of young avengers are just copies of The Avengers

If they were a rip-off their characters would be copies of the teen titans with small changes, just because they are a team of young super heroes doesn't = rip-offs

But if them being young heroes makes them a rip off then teen titans is a rip off of x-men because they are a team of teens with powers XD

And most heroes are inspired by mythology and legends so then Superman is a rip off of Hercules

No character is original, they are all INSPIRED by another character or a story/religion....etc

no the teen titans's are not a rip-off of the x-men they are nothing alike in any way and the young avengers are the closest marvel has to the teen titans i mean

batman and tim drake vs captain america and patriot would be pretty cool

#18 Posted by Jackson_Hartley (186 posts) - - Show Bio

Almost everything is a ripoff of something.

Batman, Robin, Alfred = Sherlock Holmes, Dr. Watson, Mrs. Hudson.

Hawkeye or Green Arrow = Robin Hood.

Superman = Achilles.

If you look hard enough, you'll find similarities in just about anything. Yes, there will be knockoffs, but it's like arguing over coke or pepsi. They're the same thing with different tastes. Just enjoy the one you like best.

#19 Posted by Macest128 (806 posts) - - Show Bio

@darth_brendroid said:

Namor the Sub-Mariner.

do you have a better match for bizzaro or venom?

#20 Posted by FuriousWeasel (80 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering that Marvel pioneered almost everthing we take for granted in modern comics I'd say that if any company was being copied it's Marvel.

#21 Posted by darth_brendroid (1717 posts) - - Show Bio

@Macest128: Huh? What does Namor have to do with Bizzaro and Venom?

#22 Posted by Macest128 (806 posts) - - Show Bio

@darth_brendroid said:

@Macest128: Huh? What does Namor have to do with Bizzaro and Venom?

no this is for the marvel universe vs 600 spartans thread you just said "he also though venom was equal to bizzaro" what is your better match?

#23 Posted by gethere (164 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually there are many things that are not ripoff in marvel, such as Namor, Human torch(original) SHEILD, Hydra, Spiderman, The hulk, Daredevil, Wolverine,Storm, Silver surfer, many other things as well. Sure most of marvel heroes and villains have some inspiration from other comics, but marvel come up with it own ideas on those characters that may make them completely different, besides it not as DC have not or other comics have taken ideas from marvel as well.

#24 Posted by cosmo111687 (1489 posts) - - Show Bio

@FuriousWeasel said:

Considering that Marvel pioneered almost everthing we take for granted in modern comics I'd say that if any company was being copied it's Marvel.

Such as?

#25 Posted by ARMIV2 (8306 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Spider-man, Hulk, Punisher, Daredevil, Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops, Silver Surfer, Galactus, and Ghost Rider to name a few.

#26 Posted by Man Without Fear (219 posts) - - Show Bio
@Macest128 said:

@Man Without Fear said:

No it's not. It's a similar idea but the line-up is completely different. The characters are nothing alike.
#27 Posted by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

@Macest128: In what way is Venom equal to Bizzaro?

#28 Posted by sky-pirate (111 posts) - - Show Bio

The term "rip-off" is thrown around an awful lot. I've seen Power Girl be accused off being a Supergirl rip-off (despite the fact, that they're both created, owned and published by the same corporation). I've seen some characters be accused of being a rip-off, of characters that were actually created way later (as the person making the accusation, is only familiar with the younger character).

#29 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

who cares who copied who??!! i just want GOOD comics!!!

#30 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jackson_Hartley said:

Almost everything is a ripoff of something.

Batman, Robin, Alfred = Sherlock Holmes, Dr. Watson, Mrs. Hudson.

Hawkeye or Green Arrow = Robin Hood.

Superman = Achilles.

If you look hard enough, you'll find similarities in just about anything. Yes, there will be knockoffs, but it's like arguing over coke or pepsi. They're the same thing with different tastes. Just enjoy the one you like best.

I can't say how much I love this post enough.

#31 Posted by Billy Batson (57799 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe Spider-Man.
BB

#32 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

Only in the "take the hero and make a f**ked up version of him" aspect. But that's been around far before comics were even around.

#33 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio
Thor
#34 Posted by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123: Its actually an ancient cliche' thats even part of some mythology

#35 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (7907 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion said:

who cares who copied who??!! i just want GOOD comics!!!

but still Phantomex Wolverine Beta Ray Bill Spidey (an all his clones) Symbiotes, Forbush Man ;D, Nick Fury, Shield ,Howling Commandos, Thor (rest of asgard) Red Skull, Sin, Luke Cage, Power Fist, Human Torch, Galactus Silver Surfer Rocket Racoon, The ThunderBolts Speedball/Penance, One Above All, Osbornes, Doc Oc, Captain America Iron Man Asbestos Man, Leather Boy Flat Man Big Bertha Cable Doorman Mr. Immortal, Thanos, Beyonder, Watchers, Hulk family, Hope, Magneto, Kraven the Hunter, Avengers West Coast Avengers Great Lakes Avengers Bullseye Stilt Man Lady Stilt Man Daredevil

#36 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

Both companies shared many of the same artists and writers who influence each other and are influenced by each other.

#37 Posted by Pbott (210 posts) - - Show Bio

Who cares if its a "rip off" as long as the storys are well written i could care less, comics is a business and when something works others will take parts of what works and apply it to there product, if you really want to go there swamp thing is a rip off of man thing, but what character is well known?

#38 Posted by Ragnarök (174 posts) - - Show Bio
@sky-pirate said:

The term "rip-off" is thrown around an awful lot. I've seen Power Girl be accused off being a Supergirl rip-off (despite the fact, that they're both created, owned and published by the same corporation). I've seen some characters be accused of being a rip-off, of characters that were actually created way later (as the person making the accusation, is only familiar with the younger character).

They are also the same person. It's like saying Nate Grey is a rip-off of Cable.
#39 Posted by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

Why isn't DC getting any flack here Batman is a rip off of Zorro, Lex Luthor started out as your standard mad scientist villain, Joker was completely ripped off from a silent movie called " The Man Who Laughed" , The Penguin was ripped off from an add campaign, many of Batman's original villains were ripped off from Dick Tracy, Swamp Thing was ripped off from the same character as Man-Thing called the Heap, Lobo is a composite rip off of damn near every violent hero from the 80s and early 90s, just to name a few

#40 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman was a rip-off from Gladiator by Phillip Wylie in the 30s. All characters borrow from one another. Aside from Thor(debatable) early characters were made using Greek gods as the template.Hercules is the father of all hero inspiration.

#41 Posted by PowerHerc (81712 posts) - - Show Bio

When it comes to ripping off ideas/concepts/characters, I see no difference between Marvel and DC.

#42 Posted by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

well yeah of course they do and this is coming from someone on team dc

#43 Posted by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

@gravitypress: You know they say the writers of the Edda, which is the primary source of info on Norse myth, borrowed several traits from Zeus when describing Thor so yea rip offs have been around for a long time

#44 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk. Wolverine. Daredevil.

#45 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: I sort of figured that it might be the case. Roman soldiers probably told tales of Mars, Jupiter, and the rest of the gods.

#46 Posted by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

@gravitypress: Well the Edda was written about a hundred or so years after most of the Vikings had converted to Christianity, and since most of their mythology hadn't been written down it ended up being heavily influenced by those who'd actually wrote their mythology down and their are many who bring up the fact that some cultures saw Thor as above or equal to Odin and it's possible the Edda introduced the idea that Odin was his father but that can't really be confirmed due to lack of evidence to either support or disprove it

#47 Posted by daredevil21134 (10954 posts) - - Show Bio

@RainEffect said:

What about Spidey

#48 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134 said:

@RainEffect said:

What about Spidey

Gah! I deserve to be lynched for forgetting him! Cheers for picking me up on it.
#49 Posted by Macest128 (806 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

it just felt like a good match to me just as good as lady shiva vs elektra or loose cannon vs hulk but i was wrong

#50 Posted by Macest128 (806 posts) - - Show Bio

@RainEffect said:

hulk was a rip-off of solomon grundy

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.