Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Is the tesseract a Cosmic Cube or an Infinity Gem?

Avatar image for theoneabovetoaa
    TheOneAboveTOAA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I'm confused. Please help.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's both. The tesseract is what they're calling the Cosmic Cube in the MCU but it's also an infinity gem.

NoJoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

A cosmic cube.

Avatar image for theoneabovetoaa
    TheOneAboveTOAA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's both. The tesseract is what they're calling the Cosmic Cube in the MCU but it's also an infinity gem.

What kind of Infinity Gem? Time, Space, Reality,etc...? Also thanks for the quick reply.

NoJoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kidchipotle

@theoneabovetoaa: You're welcome. And I believe that the cube is the Space Gem. There's also the Aether from Thor 2, but we don't which Gem that is yet, and I believe we're going to get a new one in GotG.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kidchipotle
    rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

@arturocalakayvee said:

@theoneabovetoaa: You're welcome. And I believe that the cube is the Space Gem. There's also the Aether from Thor 2, but we don't which Gem that is yet, and I believe we're going to get a new one in GotG.

Yeah it is, the orb Peter steals is the power, 'stone'. They are called stones in the mcu for some reason.

Loki's staff's orb could've been the mind stone, I expect we'll see the soul stone in Dr Strange.

NoJoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee said:

Yeah it is, the orb Peter steals is the power, 'stone'. They are called stones in the mcu for some reason.

Loki's staff's orb could've been the mind stone, I expect we'll see the soul stone in Dr Strange.

I bet the Eye of Agamotto will be an Infinity Gem in Doc Strange also I think they will do a switcheroo in GotG and make everybody think the Orb in a gem but really it's something else

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They tell you in the movie

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nojoke said:

@arturocalakayvee: Scans or ur a lyer

^Is this guy for real?

@arturocalakayvee said:

What kind of Infinity Gem? Time, Space, Reality,etc...? Also thanks for the quick reply.

Don't try to make direct or exact analogues between 616 and the MCU, your brain will hurt. The tesseract is the MCU version of the Cosmic Cube and it is also what they're calling an "Infinity Stone." However, we don't even know know if each stone will get a direct label such as "space, time, ect." However, @rogueshadow and arturo's guess' are as solid as any as what the current gyms would be labeled as if they get labels.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nojoke said:

@arturocalakayvee: Scans or ur a lyer

^Is this guy for real?

Literally was asking myself the same thing. All I could think of was 'ugh another noob.'

@rogueshadow said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

I bet the Eye of Agamotto will be an Infinity Gem in Doc Strange also I think they will do a switcheroo in GotG and make everybody think the Orb in a gem but really it's something else

Lol I was about to say that :P

That would be interesting...

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NoJoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rogueshadow  Moderator

@arturocalakayvee: @jonny_anonymous: I could see that happening, makes sense if Loki's staff was in fact the mind stone that Thanos would give one to Ronan. The only problem I have with the theory is that I don't get why Thanos would give away the stones to his lackies, it's foolish. Good call on the EOA, I could see that happening too.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow: I like the idea of the mind gem, and in the same time, I agree that it's unlikely that Thanos would give it away or worse that he would be unaware of it's potential.

Hmmm, quite confusing...

bee14ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it isn't a Cosmic Cube, it's simply an Infinity Stone.

anaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bee14ish said:

I'm assuming you haven't seen Guardians of the Galaxy. It's the cosmic cube of the Marvel cinematic universe. And the fact that it's a containment device in the comics plays into what the Infinity "artifacts" are.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So is loki's sceptre the mind stone then?

Beata

bee14ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By bee14ish

@anaron said:

@bee14ish said:

I'm assuming you haven't seen Guardians of the Galaxy. It's the cosmic cube of the Marvel cinematic universe. And the fact that it's a containment device in the comics plays into what the Infinity "artifacts" are.

I haven't seen it just yet, so can you tell me what they said that would lead to you believing this?

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Tesseract is a cube from the cosmos, but it's hardly a Cosmic Cube. They may have called it that in the movies, but really it's an Infinity Gem.

Specifically, it's the Space Gem.

And the Aether is the Reality Gem.

Which the one from GotG being the Power Gem.

I'm assuming the Soul Gem will have something to do with the Doctor Strange Movie, and the Time and Mind Gems might be featured in either the next Avengers or the Ant-Man movie.

And to answer this question:

Beata

I don't believe so. I'm fairly certain in the Avenger's it's mentioned how his staff was just a fraction of the power of the Tesseract.

However, this could be retconned in a later movie. But for now, it's not it's own Gem.

Jmarshmallow

youngwonderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jmarshmallow: You are right. You definitely know your stuff. Tesseract is space, Aether is reality, and (spoilers) purple stone inside the orb is the power stone.

strangetales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youngwonderman: @jmarshmallow:

Loki was given his staff by thanos before he had the tesseract. And the orb on it is the same color as the mind gem so it's not powered by the tesseract and is its own gem. He uses it to take over people's minds, dead give away.

The only reason the scepter was able to get past the force feild or w/e to close down the portal near the end is because it was also a gem

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is such nonsense the movies clearly state that both the ether and the tessaract are infinity gems. Valstagg when going to the collect says the tessaract is on asgard and it is unwise to have two infinity stones so close, when he drops off the ether with the collector.

lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CCU

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Tesseract is a cube from the cosmos, but it's hardly a Cosmic Cube. They may have called it that in the movies, but really it's an Infinity Gem.

Specifically, it's the Space Gem.

And the Aether is the Reality Gem.

Which the one from GotG being the Power Gem.

I'm assuming the Soul Gem will have something to do with the Doctor Strange Movie, and the Time and Mind Gems might be featured in either the next Avengers or the Ant-Man movie.

And to answer this question:

@spidey_jackson said:

Beata

I don't believe so. I'm fairly certain in the Avenger's it's mentioned how his staff was just a fraction of the power of the Tesseract.

However, this could be retconned in a later movie. But for now, it's not it's own Gem.

Jmarshmallow

I think the Aether might have actually been the Soul Stone.

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@rogueshadow: they started calling em stones way back in Super Hero Squad. Apparently gems is a less impressive word.

PotatoLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm not sure about the Cosmic Cube part, but it is most certainly an infinity stone. When you see the Collector bring up images of infinity stones you can see the Tesseract in the corner.

Hayden86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Wish i could post this pic of Deadpools head blowing up.

"Let's suppose then, that the Tesseract seen in Captain America and the Avengers - long assumed to be the cinematic Cosmic Cube - is in fact one of the Infinity Gems. It's possible the Gem can take new shapes, or, even more likely, that the cube is actually a form of Cosmic Containment Unit, storing the gem for later use.

So if it is a gem, which one is it?

The most likely candidate would be the Reality Gem, as reshaping reality is what the Cosmic Cube is all about, however it has never been shown to do this in the movies.

The next possible candidate is the Power Gem, as that's what Zola was able to draw from it to get all those cool weapons working, but this was more of a side effect of Zola's siphoning device, not so much the gem on it's own.

It's been suggested that it could be the Mind Gem, as Loki used it to control so many people, but in the Avengers movie, he was said to be channeling powers from his mysterious benefactor (i.e. Thanos).

So, my theory? The Tesseract is the Space Gem (or a box containing it). Its primary use in both Captain America and the Avengers - when used on its own without someone trying to figure out what it was - was as a portal to somewhere else in the universe. Heck, even the church that housed it at the start of Captain America saw it as a connection to the gods. So where did those other uses come from? Again, the gems can be used for multiple purposes, and even the residual energy from the gems is more than anything humans could create."

http://observationdeck.io9.com/explaining-the-tesseract-infinity-gems-and-other-power-1462974279

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.