Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Is the Marvel-616 Universe comin' to an end?

ilikedonuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ilikedonuts

I heard the news about the new Secret Wars comin' up. Really exited for that, I'm tellin' ya. But here's somethin' I heard: Is the 616 Universe comin' to an end? I also heard the Ultimate/1610 Universe is gonna end too, but y'know I never really read the 1610 comics.

Also, if this really is happenin', is there comin' a new mainstream Universe?

gamiz7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@ilikedonuts: yes they are both ending, and they will combine into a new earth

ilikedonuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@gamiz7:

Oh ok, thanks. Do y'know when Secret Wars is comin' out?

GhostRider88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I pray not, I admit things are getting VERY strange in Marvel Universe.. Their comics are starting to look more & more like they're meant for children, their characters & storylines are changing and Spider-Man, nick Fury & Captain America have all gotten..... darker ?? Seriously, i'll try to say this in a way that doesnt come off wrong because its truly not meant wrong. Creating more African heroes is awesome, go right ahead. But Captain America!?!?!? ARE YOU INSANE MARVEL!!!

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pray not, I admit things are getting VERY strange in Marvel Universe.. Their comics are starting to look more & more like they're meant for children, their characters & storylines are changing and Spider-Man, nick Fury & Captain America have all gotten..... darker ?? Seriously, i'll try to say this in a way that doesnt come off wrong because its truly not meant wrong. Creating more African heroes is awesome, go right ahead. But Captain America!?!?!? ARE YOU INSANE MARVEL!!!

Could you elaborate more on the bolded?

GhostRider88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GhostRider88

@micah Sure. For the 2nd part, There's a new Spider-Man, Nick Fury & Captain America, who aren't even the same skin color. It's just wrong, these are classic heroes, totally changed over night, though the only one of which bothered me was Cap.

As for the 1st part in bold, I don't know, I think it's mostly due to the artwork of many Marvel comics lately. They may be under regular titles that i'd normally buy but I'd swear, it looks like it's for kids due to the artwork. Take the new Nova hero for example, he's a disgrace to Ryder's original Nova... Better yet, just go look at many of the new Avengers comics like "No More Bullying"

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah Sure. For the 2nd part, There's a new Spider-Man, Nick Fury & Captain America, who aren't even the same skin color. It's just wrong

@ghostrider88 said:

Seriously, i'll try to say this in a way that doesnt come off wrong

You are'nt suceeding

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By micah007123

@ghostrider88 said:

@micah Sure. For the 2nd part, There's a new Spider-Man, Nick Fury & Captain America, who aren't even the same skin color. It's just wrong, these are classic heroes, totally changed over night, though the only one of which bothered me was Cap.

As for the 1st part in bold, I don't know, I think it's mostly due to the artwork of many Marvel comics lately. They may be under regular titles that i'd normally buy but I'd swear, it looks like it's for kids due to the artwork. Take the new Nova hero for example, he's a disgrace to Ryder's original Nova... Better yet, just go look at many of the new Avengers comics like "No More Bullying"

Ahh I see. Well with Falcon Cap that really didn't bother me that much, it's not like the Cap mantle being passed to another is anything new. Punisher, U.S Agent, Jeffrey Mace, Bucky...having Falcon who in my opinion is the next best candidate to take up the mantle after Bucky seemed like a no brainier to me if your going to have Rogers out of action for awhile. People are looking at it the wrong way, instead of saying look Falcon....one of Captain America's best friend, long-time ally, and fellow soldier is taking up the mantle with Steve's blessings......we are saying look "Black Captain America"......<_< That's just my opinion.

I thought as much you were talking about the artwork, and for some of their comics I agree however the overall feel of the Marvel Universe at this point is very dark. All you need to do is look no farther than New Avengers and Avengers to see that. Both incredible series by the way.

Rebelpunk13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

what the hell? haha Ghostrider88 is either a troll or 10 yrs old. You obviously haven't read a Marvel comic in a few years. Spider-Man is not black, and he didn't change into a black person overnight. Miles Morales, the "darker" spider-man you're referring to took up the Spider-man mantle in the Ultimate universe, assuming you know what that is. Peter Parker and about fifty other white skinned spidermen are currently running around right now in a bunch of Spider books.

I haven't been following Captain America as of late, but as far as I know Falcon took up the mantle of Cap but the original Captain America is still out there and will be back in no time. Hopefully someone can elaborate on this. And as for Nick Fury, the ultimate version is black and based off of Samuel L Jackson and the original Fury has a interracial son in the 616 universe.

And how are their comics looking more and more like for children? I'm currently reading Magneto and Punisher, those are def. not aimed at "children". And the "No more Bullying" is a ad campaign for bullying awareness, no part of the ongoing Avengers titles. How is the artwork made for children? There is so many different styles of art currently in different Marvel titles that you're statement is invalid.

Avatar image for moonlighterstone
    Moonlighterstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently, and what @ghostrider88 forgot to mentioned that Johnny Storm (Human Torch) is also has turn black. I hope Fox really consider this family as a whole and Marvel consider the rest of the replacement characters. Truly something weird is going on. I think Squirrel-Girl looks more like for children IMO.

GhostRider88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GhostRider88
    GhostRider88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GhostRider88

@rebelpunk13:

Woah, someone is very sensitive. Seriously dude, first off, watch your mouth. We're talking comics here, not nuclear weapons in Iran (and you call me the 10 year old). Don't insult me over a disagreement, just explain why you disagree. Unlike most bloggers, I don't naively assume to have it all figured out, I'm open to discussion. With that said, are you honestly just hearing this now for the first time? Hard to believe since many other people also feel Marvel is demolishing it's own heritage. I love Marvel, it's all I read. That's why this effects me, because I have no idea where the hell they're headed. And yes, I was referring to the black Spider-Man in Ultimates, might be a less potent example since it's technically a different Universe but you're missing the point. It's not about them being black. it's about these drastic changes, I listed only a few small examples.

You then go on to list a few comics that don't appear childish lol, as if I was claiming they all seemed to be meant for kids. How intolerably ignorant are you? Just objective by nature or incredibly small-minded?

Rebelpunk13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I was informing you because you came off very ignorant about these characters. LOL missing the point and not about them being black? You just said "there's a new Spider-Man, Nick Fury & Captain America, who aren't even the same skin color. It's just wrong" And I clarified that there still is a white spider-man, white captain america (He'll be back by Secret Wars), and white Nick Fury. Ypu made it seem like they cahnges these character's skin color when they are still around. What is wrong with a little diversity? Welcome to 2015. Its not like you picked up a Spider Man comic and all of a sudden Peter Parker was black. And yet you call me small minded...ooookay budd. And btw Sam Wilson took up the mantle of Captain America back in the late 90's and they've been buddies since 1971. You don't have to like the character of Falcon, but complaining about him being Captain America because of he's skin color is just dumb. WHat about Bucky taking over the mantle?

The most important tradition in comic books is constant change. Writers, artists, and the teams need to tell the stories they are excited to tell. They can't just constantly regurgitate the same thing that came before because you need stability in your life. Peace!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.