Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Is The Disney/Marvel Deal Still Happening?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

We've had over a week to let the news of Disney buying Marvel sink in.  It turns out the deal isn't 100% finalized quite yet.

Let's recap what we do know.  Disney has stated that Marvel's current movie deals will stay in place.  The idea of animated movies is one that could be explored further.  We could be seeing more Marvel characters on television.  Disney XD is already airing several past animated series and Sony even gave up television rights to Spider-Man.  More Marvel products will appear in Disney's retail stores.  Disney Interactive Studios will be looking over video game licenses as they come up for renewal.  The Marvel Super Hero Island at Universal in Flordia still has an exclusive lock on the X-Men, Spider-Man, Hulk and Captain America (along with "related characters").  That means they won't be popping in at Disneyland or Disneyworld for now but other Marvel characters are fair game.  Disney parks outside of the U.S. may be under different regulations.

On Monday it was reported that there is a $140 million termination fee should the deal not close "under certain circumstances."   While it seems as though the sale is going smoothly, it turns out that there maybe a couple of obstacles in the way.

It turns out that there are already two separate lawsuits coming from Marvel shareholders.  Bloomberg.com reported the first, which was filed on September 1.  The lawsuit states that Marvel directors did not conduct an appropriate sale process.  Shareholder Christine Vlatos said:

The proposed transaction does not appear to adequately value Marvel’s shares or serve the best interests of the company’s public shareholders. Disney, with the board’s complicity, appears to have capitalized on non-public information about Marvel in offering to acquire the company.

The sale would give Marvel investors $30 plus a 0.745 share of Disney stock for each Marvel share they hold.

The second lawsuit is a class action lawsuit on behalf of 'certain current investors' in Marvel Entertainment, Inc.  The claim is there are "
    alleged breaches of fiduciary duty and other violations of state law in connection with an alleged unfair takeover."

I guess it will be a matter of how strong are Disney's lawyers.  Will these lawsuits put a monkey wrench into their purchase?  If they have $4 billion to spend on Marvel, you would think they have some heavy duty lawyers at their disposal.  Do those filing the lawsuits have a strong ground to stand on or are they grasping at straws?  More importantly, will I see any Marvel products at Disneyland this December when I make my yearly trip down there?  

It should be interesting to see how this plays out.  The second lawsuit invites other Marvel shareholders to join in on the lawsuit.  When will the purchase of Marvel be fully complete?  Has your opinion over this deal changed?  Do you still think this is a good or bad move for Marvel?
    EternalBiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By EternalBiker

Well in one way if it dosent go threw than no one has to worry about disneys bullcrap and scond if dose as long as they dont corupt marvel its ok 
    but the lawsuits may hurt this but if dose only ones to blame would be the screw ups at marvel but yet again i kinda hope that marvel stays away from disney cause they done great by themselfs for 70 yrs so  if gose bad im sure marvel can do it for ever on there own an find othier place's or othier ways to expand there reach
    ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ARMIV

QUICK MARVEL!
    SAY "NO"!!!!

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Moomin123

I'm not sure this'll work. Please let Marvel carry on without Disney. I hate DISNEY!!! 

Death to Micky Mouse.
    crazed_h3ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By crazed_h3ro

does marvel still have a chance to say no? guess not...marvel get ready for disney shiting on spider-man  ^_^...hope some marvel movies get made. 
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By danhimself

did you guys understand the part  "there is a $140 million termination fee should the deal not close "under certain circumstances."    That means that if the deal doesn't go through someone would be paying $140 million dollars to someone else....I would rather the deal went well and Marvel gained 4 billion dollars then for someone to lose 140 million dollars

RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RaptorFratBoy

Everything will all be fine. Class-action lawsuits of this type rarely get far out the gate, and Disney has some of the best lawyers around. 

@Moomin123 said:

" I'm not sure this'll work. Please let Marvel carry on without Disney. I hate DISNEY!!!  Death to Micky Mouse. "
    *Sigh* Better to keep an open mind and see as NOTHING BAD HAPPENS than throw-up your arms and run away, and when the comic book industry implodes upon itself as it always does, you'll be thanking Disney for being there to make sure Marvel keeps going. Because, and I always say this, if you weren't reading comic in 1996 and don't understand just how close they came to closing their doors, you can't fully understand the benefits. Unless something severely drastic happens, like Marvel and DC's sales-numbers switching, Disney's interference will be minimal as far as the actual comics are concerned. Cartoons, movies, and video games will see the immediate changes and re-structuring.

Marvel/Disney is happening, and a few disgruntled stock-holders will not change that.
    MrCipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrCipher
    @Moomin123 

I get the impression from the fact that Marvel seemed ok with the take over initially, that  Marvel simply cannot carry on alone. It needs a backer or another company to hold it up. I also get the feeling that this was not a one way deal from Disney who was out hunting for new companies to aquire. I think Marvel had let it slip that they were failing.

Comics have been losing money as a business for the last 15 years or so (especially with Marvel pushing the graphic novel). So I truly doubt Marvel could exist for very long on just that media. The movies are all over the place; studios and other corporations own some of the rights to major characters which means that Marvel needed to allow that to happen just to stay afloat and hopefully reap the benefits of those deals. 

It also seems that many regular titles have become uninteresting to the 30-40 year old demographic because of the sharp turn they have taken in the last 10-18 years. And this is the demographic with the most money to spend on such things; established people who still have a love for comics from their youth. Few people in their 20s are capable of spending large sums of money on comics and even fewer in any age range under that (simply because they likely do not have jobs or it is not their money). 

As far as the movies are concerned, everyone I know has had a generally dismal outlook on the movies that have been released save for the second Punisher movie and the Spider-Man films. They all have agreed with me that what they saw was not what they expected. So is the future of the movie media really that solid? I do know that lots of 12-20 year olds loved the movies - maybe that would be enough to allow marvel to soldier on? I am not so certain, but maybe.
    crazed_h3ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By crazed_h3ro
    @RaptorFratBoy said:
    "Everything will all be fine. Class-action lawsuits of this type rarely get far out the gate, and Disney has some of the best lawyers around. 

@Moomin123 said:
    " I'm not sure this'll work. Please let Marvel carry on without Disney. I hate DISNEY!!!  Death to Micky Mouse. "
    *Sigh* Better to keep an open mind and see as NOTHING BAD HAPPENS than throw-up your arms and run away, and when the comic book industry implodes upon itself as it always does, you'll be thanking Disney for being there to make sure Marvel keeps going. Because, and I always say this, if you weren't reading comic in 1996 and don't understand just how close they came to closing their doors, you can't fully understand the benefits. Unless something severely drastic happens, like Marvel and DC's sales-numbers switching, Disney's interference will be minimal as far as the actual comics are concerned. Cartoons, movies, and video games will see the immediate changes and re-structuring.  Marvel/Disney is happening, and a few disgruntled stock-holders will not change that. "

as longe as they don't touch marvel publiser/comics i'm happy
    Kirax20a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Kirax20a

the more i readthis the more i read into the marvel/disney info the more i think disney is already trying so hard to use marvel than actually be partners. i mean already i read this and i think i don't care if they own the action figures and hats and stuff like that as long as they don't mess up my comic reading i'm fine. as long as they stick to the main story if they take over the TV shows and not start changing things to the point of no return then we have a problem. i hate to say this but marvel made a huge mistake to trust Disney for they are are always going to try to do things there  way and not the marvel way
    RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RaptorFratBoy
    @MrCipher: I agree with a lot of what you said, but the bit about the movies is a TAD filled with personal opinion.

"Everyone" you know might not like the movies, but I do believe box office numbers kinda show you that, well, they're doing absolutely fine and will probably continue to do so. Every "X-Men" movie broke the previous one's record. "Iron Man" is a phenomenon unto itself. "Blade" started the whole damn thing in the first place. Yes, there's been the ones that don't do so good (like your second "Punisher", for one), but I'm thinking the general feeling is Marvel movies do great, will keep doing great, and that's probably where the company sees it's money-making future entirely. I have no doubt that within ten years, without Disney, Marvel would be totally relying on their outside projects to keep them alive. 

Analysis of this kind of thing is great, but do keep in mind that there's an entire world outside of the one you're immediately familiar with...
    MrCipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrCipher
    @RaptorFratBoy:
    You're right and I did forget about Iron Man which was HUGE with all the people that I know. Sorry if it seemed like I was skewing things. "Everyone" is a generalist term so I will refrain from using that in the future. 
    Unfortunately, what I have also come to realize is that I absolutely love the exact opposite of what the mainstream populous enjoys. So maybe my opinions aren't really worth airing here. I dunno...
    TheOmegaMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#12  Edited By TheOmegaMan

Snore, wake me when it's over...
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Well, that's just confusing. This has been widely reported all over the news. You'd think if it wasn't a 100% deal. There would of been some sort of statement about it before this.

Avatar image for the_crimson_nutcase
    The Crimson Nutcase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@danhimself said:
    " did you guys understand the part  "there is a $140 million termination fee should the deal not close "under certain circumstances."    That means that if the deal doesn't go through someone would be paying $140 million dollars to someone else....I would rather the deal went well and Marvel gained 4 billion dollars then for someone to lose 140 million dollars "
    Exactly, that caught my eye big time... 
    Im not a big of disney, but i feel this deal will be more good than bad for Marvel... 
    Yeah im a little bummed that their not independent anymore...but hey having disney is just extra back up of keeping them in business IMO...
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Decept-O

I'd been thinking about how much of a windfall the Marvel share holders would receive as a result of the Disney merger, but now I'm scratching my head.  Sounds like no matter what, someone won't be happy. Hate to think lawsuits will hold up any possible deals now.  I am hoping things get resolved.  Hope this doesn't mean any possible future movies will get thrown on the back burner because things will get tied up in court.  Good Grief. 
    BDog23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By BDog23

Uh Oh, thats not good for Disney guess we will see what happens

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

at worst Disney pays off those lawsuits with couch change.lol.
    people need to understand Marvel is 50/50 on this deal.
    they werent bought out. that was a preplanned move from both
    parties in order to facilitate the process with less interferance, 
    and something they needed to keep hush about and surprise us 
    with in order to keep rivals from gumming up the works. 
    id say the chance of this creating any kind of realistic problem
    is not 100%. lol.
    understand exactly how much of everything Disney owns,
    how much money they have and make in a year.
    this is just a buzzing fly.

jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jefprice
    @CATMANEXE said:
    " at worst Disney pays off those lawsuits with couch change.lol.
    people need to understand Marvel is 50/50 on this deal.
    they werent bought out. that was a preplanned move from both
    parties in order to facilitate the process with less interferance, 
    and something they needed to keep hush about and surprise us 
    with in order to keep rivals from gumming up the works. 
    id say the chance of this creating any kind of realistic problem
    is not 100%. lol. understand exactly how much of everything Disney owns, how much money they have and make in a year. this is just a buzzing fly. "
    What he said.
    ninjadude853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By ninjadude853

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, IF YOU OWN STOCK IN MARVEL, JOIN THE LAWSUIT AND FIGHT DISNEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE SAVE MARVEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vindellavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By Vindellavon

Please, Marvel, just say no.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Media_Master

o well, no matter what happens, they don't care about us, just cash

Power NeXus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Power NeXus

Oh Mighty Marvel Bullpen, I beseech thee, DEFY THE MOUSE! Reject him or he will be thine downfall!!!!!
    DragonRex1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By DragonRex1

It's a sign from God... wait, Sony no longer has TV rights to Spider-Man?! SONY QUICK! GET IT BACK BEFORE SOMEONE GETS THEM!
    Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Meteorite

I'd rather not have Marvel owned by Disney, but if they do get bought out then there's not much I can do.

LastSon1027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By LastSon1027

Disney Lawyers are ruthless these people are gonna end up at the bottom of a ravine.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#26  Edited By xerox_kitty

From what I saw those sorts of lawsuits happen quite often with these sorts of take-over bids... and rarely anything comes of it.

Avatar image for the_sharp_dressed_lady
    The Sharp Dressed Lady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disney could definitely help Marvel with those ridiculous lawsuits.

Two Disney properties that could actually be worked into the mainstream Marvel Universe with relatively little alteration would be The Incredibles and Kim Possible. 

Perhaps it's time Marvel had another family superteam on the scene. 

And a privately backed superspy working in the same Universe as SHIELD would not be a ludicrous idea, especially when SHIELD needs an unconnected freelance teenage girl spy to do her handiwork. 

Stormultt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Stormultt

sont worry haters the deal is still gonna be done XDD
    kalel60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kalel60

there's no reason to panic!!!!  some people just don't understand bussiness..and that's what this is bussiness!  you can cry in your milk all you want to but your tears won't change a thing...this happen wheather you like it or not!  disney isn't in bussiness to lose money!  take a class in economics!!!! maybe the cry babies will learn something!  going to court isn't going to help when disney has deep pockets!!!!
    ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ARMIV

C'mon Marvel!
    You were your own thing!
    Don't do this!

RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RaptorFratBoy
    @MrCipher: Of course your opinions are worth airing, it would just benefit the conversation, whether people agree or otherwise. I was just hoping to clarifiy that while you and yours might not be big fans of the movies right now, apparently most of the other people that go to the movies feel otherwise. Being angry at Marvel is fine, vent your anger...just, you know, know when to separate fact from opinion so you don't have jerks like me correcting you all the time...

;)
    MrCipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MrCipher
    @RaptorFratBoy:
    Bah, you're not a jerk.  

I'm not really angry at Marvel; more like upset at corporations and film producers in general lol. They have the gaul to alter things rather than try to stay true to a concept (Daredevil the movie being an excellent example).  
    I just want to see someone adapt a comic or a concept from my youth with minimum damage to the concept instead of making sweeping changes in the name of appealing to this or that demographic. To date Iron Man and the 1st two Spidey films come closest. And I really feel the heart of Punisher was retained in the latest movie (the setting was perfect, he fought a canon villian and he was brutal). I'm wondering what everyone else expected and felt was missing for it to have such horrible ratings (my buddy just picked it up for 9 bucks in the Best Buy bargain rack). 
     Anyway thanks for the chat...
    Stormultt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Stormultt
    @ARMIV said:
    "C'mon Marvel! You were your own thing! Don't do this! "

HAHA!!,but now marvel can finally give us quality cartoons LIKE DC!!!!!!!
    cadaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By cadaver

tell disney to sod off and make mine marvel!

marvelrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By marvelrules

they already ruined marvel they made a new marvel show on cartoon network its called superhero squad show its crap we need to take marvel out of its prison from disney whose with me 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.