Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Is 'Marvel NOW!' a reboot? I'm confused!

Avatar image for deadlywolverine
    DeadlyWolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Some are saying it's a soft-reset, others are saying it's a hard-reboot. Well, what does everyone think of this, 7 months in?

I am really tempted to pick up Savage Wolverine 1-7

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I don't think so. It's just a relaunch as far as I'm aware.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#3 SC  Moderator

A reboot traditionally means to restart, reset and so on, and in comics the New 52 would be a good example, because although many things were similar and familiar, it's purpose was to allow creative teams to recreate, reestablish and redefine many characters. That this was all done at the same time across the company would qualify it as a reboot. Much continuity was discarded, altered, character connections dropped or altered to fit a new vision so on.

With Marvel now, I would say its not a reboot because no continuity was discarded, older characters and teams were just moved around and put in new teams or books/titles with new creative teams, and or given new directions. All the continuity is the same, all the character relationships and connections have the same history behind them, a few characters got new visual looks, but mainly due to established and built storylines. Marvel effectively got to have their cake and eat it. Relaunch maybe a better term for Marvel Now. Or Gigantic Creative Team Mix Up, a GCTMU.

Oh and as far as SAVAGE WOLVERINE goes, the first story arc is issues 1 to 5, and issue 6 starts a new story arc, so you might want to get either SAVAGE WOLVERINE 1 - 5 or else you will end up with two issues of a non related story. That being said JOE MADUREIRA is on starting issue 6 and Spider-Man and Elejtra appear and ZEB WELLS is writer so thats good incentive to keep buying ^_^

Avatar image for deadlywolverine
    DeadlyWolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Thanks mates, I just finished my undergrad, so I hadn't had the time to keep up with the subtleties. I was hoping Marvel would reboot the universe so I could take it easy during school. I'll just buy the relaunch for Wolverine, I SWEAR.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.