Is Marvel going all down hill?

#1 Posted by Deja_vu_x (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Recently, alot of people, including me and my friends have been pretty let down by Marvel. We feel like the stories are just getting terrible, and that some of the writers just haven't quite got what they used to have. In my case, this is about AvX and Thunderbolts.

Firstly. Avengers vs X-men started off okay, but it seemed like a stupid plot about Mr. Summers having a hissy fit. I stopped reading after two issues, but now, Phoenix Five? Seriously? It seems like they ran out of events and just thought they'd make them all fight each other for the hell of it. I've also always felt that you're just pushed to like characters like Hope.

Secondly, I love the Thunderbolts, don't get me wrong, but Jeff Parker doesn't seem to know much about the characters at all. There's too many characters and not enough focus, to be honest.

Anyway, I'd be really interested to know what everyone's views on this topic are. Do you feel as though Marvel is heading to a disaster, or do you like the direction they're going in?

Also, I apologise if there's a thread like this already made. :/

#2 Posted by HotSauceCommittee (345 posts) - - Show Bio

Only reads a third of an event, then complains it sucks? Yep, you'll fit in well here.

David, Hickman, Remender, Waid, Slott, Brubaker, Rucka, Gillen, Marvel is in good hands.

#3 Posted by Deja_vu_x (3 posts) - - Show Bio

@HotSauceCommittee: Usually I get into events on the first two issues, is what I'm trying to say. Scott just annoyed the hell out of me, because it was him having a hissy fit.

#4 Posted by MTHarman (725 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deja_vu_x said:

@HotSauceCommittee: Usually I get into events on the first two issues, is what I'm trying to say. Scott just annoyed the hell out of me, because it was him having a hissy fit.

Marvel has always let down it's fans on numerous occasions, it's practically a common thing with both modern Marvel and DC comics.

But this complaint is indeed like a broken record that has actually made this site possibly one of the worst community sites online,...... great site, but a horrible social club that only consist of trolls, disgruntle fans, or somebody who's utterly lost.

#5 Posted by Illuminatus (9503 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh, Marvel isn't going downhill. The entire industry is.

#6 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@MTHarman said:

@Deja_vu_x said:

Marvel has always let down it's fans on numerous occasions, it's practically a common thing with both modern Marvel and DC comics.

But this complaint is indeed like a broken record that has actually made this site possibly one of the worst community sites online,...... great site, but a horrible social club that only consist of trolls, disgruntle fans, or somebody who's utterly lost.

Not to mention those who complain about the people who complain.

We get a few of those here too.

Oh wait...

#7 Edited by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123: found another one. i've got MAD skills

#8 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17791 posts) - - Show Bio

Jason aaron has let me down in the Hulk department but i think he is improving so i'll hold on for a while

#9 Edited by _Zombie_ (10381 posts) - - Show Bio

It's at the state the entire industry is; the people in charge are idiots and there's a handful of incredibly talented writers underneath them.

@InnerVenom123 said:

@MTHarman said:

@Deja_vu_x said:

Oh wait...

And don't forget those who complain about the people who complain about the people who complain.

#10 Posted by MTHarman (725 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZombieBigfoot said:

It's at the state the entire industry is; the people in charge are idiots and there's a handful of incredibly talented writers underneath them.

In the world of industry business, I doubt that good talent is essential.

#11 Posted by _Zombie_ (10381 posts) - - Show Bio

@MTHarman said:

@ZombieBigfoot said:

In the world of industry business, I doubt that good talent is essential.

Good thing I care about comics and not the world of industry business.

#12 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
@ZombieBigfoot said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@MTHarman said:

@Deja_vu_x said:

Oh wait...

And don't forget those who complain about the people who complain about the people who complain.

I'd say it's the state of the Big Two rather than the entire industry 
#13 Posted by _Zombie_ (10381 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87: True. Independent comics seem to have a better ratio of good to crap than the Big Two do.

#14 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

Some titles I like. Some I don't. 
Same with DC. Same with Image. Same with Boom. Same with Dark Horse.

#15 Posted by capelesscrusader (103 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz said:

Some titles I like. Some I don't. Same with DC. Same with Image. Same with Boom. Same with Dark Horse.

THIS. Simply put, don't blame the industry for not catering to YOUR specific tastes. Books change, writers change, characters change. If you don't like what you're reading, go read something else.

#16 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

Thirtieth thread about this. Answer is no.

#17 Posted by eregecardoso (20 posts) - - Show Bio

@MTHarman: What other sites? There's no other site like this and we get a bonus too: you're on it!

#18 Posted by MTHarman (725 posts) - - Show Bio

@eregecardoso said:

@MTHarman: What other sites? There's no other site like this and we get a bonus too: you're on it!

Why do I get the feeling that your a second profile for pointless and pathetic online bullying.

Eh..why would I care about what some filthy troll would say.

#19 Posted by TheBigRedCheese (372 posts) - - Show Bio

@MTHarman:I was getting the same feeling about you MTHarman or should I just call you Mr.Mind! Just messing. Nice photo of the worm, hope you don't mind if I add it to my collection.

#20 Posted by theicon (1797 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus: @Illuminatus said:

Meh, Marvel isn't going downhill. The entire industry is.

you are correct

#21 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1008 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say that the quality of their books have been going downhill. They've been stagnant for a year, and the one event that has built some interest has only done so because the premise of the book is a debate comic nerds have had for years.

#22 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:

I would say that the quality of their books have been going downhill. They've been stagnant for a year, and the one event that has built some interest has only done so because the premise of the book is a debate comic nerds have had for years.

#23 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6571 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree> Marvel has sucked recently. Their main avengers title is pretty boring to read. And their prices are too high most books are 3.99, unlike DC.
Only thing I'm liking by marvel is the current Punisher book. I love reading the issues.

#24 Posted by Duke_Nasty (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Marvel and D.C are both going downhill. For Marvel I would love some new characters that arent X-Men, Avengers or Spider-man knockoffs.

#25 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion: LOL

#26 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZombieBigfoot said:

Oh wait...

And don't forget those who mock the people who complain about the people who complain.

Fixed.

I'm hardly complaining.

Life would be boring without double-complainers.

#27 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7659 posts) - - Show Bio

The less you have to do with events the better things look

#28 Edited by _Zombie_ (10381 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

@ZombieBigfoot said:

Oh wait...

And don't forget those who mock the people who complain about the people who complain.

Fixed.

I'm hardly complaining.

Life would be boring without double-complainers.

Neither was I. I was continuing the joke. And I suppose it would be, yes.

#29 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZombieBigfoot: And here I thought you were being serious. My bad. :P

#30 Posted by _Zombie_ (10381 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123: It's all good.

#31 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel is just as bad as DC.

If you want to stay a fan of them but don't really like what they are doing, then don't buy their bad books.

Buy the good books like fantastic 4 ,ultimate x-men, and ultimate spider-man.

#32 Posted by catfightfan (580 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, a lot of people seem to think that Marvel's best days are behind them. Let us hope this is not the case. Hickman has raised interest in Fantastic Four in the last two years.

#33 Posted by AKA_TERMINATOR (332 posts) - - Show Bio

Not going down hill, well marvel seems kinda predictable in so many ways its hard to explain.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.