Is Ghost Rider the strongest hero in the Marvel universe?

#1 Edited by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Ghost Rider the strongest super hero in the Marvel Universe? We're talking about strongest HERO, not strongest CHARACTER, so the One Above All for example doesn't qualify.

#2 Posted by Farkam (4872 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

Why is this in the Avengers forum?

#3 Edited by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam: It was meant for the Marvel forum but I accidently entered the Avengers forum, my bad.

#4 Posted by tikhunt (676 posts) - - Show Bio

Well the answer is no not even close.

#5 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

2 things:

1. Ghost Rider is not a hero. He is an anti-hero character. He's a neutral figure in the Marvel Universe.

2. The Rider is one of the strongest people in the Marvel Universe, but not the strongest.

#6 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by muhabba (299 posts) - - Show Bio

He's way to easy to defeat. All you have to do is make him recite his back story, wait for him to get confused, whisper the words "Nick Cage" and then just wait for his head to explode.

#8 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@thegreyoutcastx: Since when is he neutral? =\

He has been for years (This sorta started in the 90s when anti-hero were all the rage). When you are the embodiment of God's Wrath, you tend to be neutral as you are forced to be impartial up until you know they have innocent blood on their hands. Hell, early in Danny Ketch's run as the Rider, he couldn't help stop crime unless the blood of the innocent had been spilled. He learned that the Rider wasn't meant for saving, but rather just to punish/avenge.

#9 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@muhabba said:

He's way to easy to defeat. All you have to do is make him recite his back story, wait for him to get confused, whisper the words "Nick Cage" and then just wait for his head to explode.

Nick Cage: the Troll Rider

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

He is one of the most powerful

#11 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio

@thegreyoutcastx: Exactly. His role is punishing sinners and stuff. How is this neutral exactly?

#12 Edited by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper said:

@thegreyoutcastx: Exactly. His role is punishing sinners and stuff. How is this neutral exactly?

Because even Heroes can be sinners, bro. Sin is not an "evil only" thing. This is why he's an anti-hero in the same vein as Punisher or Wolverine (pre-Avengers). He fights both heroes and villains if it is necessary in the goal of avenging the innocent. He isn't aligned to any side but rather to the goal imposed on him by god. "To avenge the innocent blood spilled, and punish those responisble to curb the bloodlust of man."

That's why there are X-Fans who want Ghost Rider to Penance Stare Scarlet Witch or "Burn the Witch" as they say she has the blood of millions of innocent mutants on her hands which logically should happen.

#13 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio

@thegreyoutcastx: An anti-hero is still a hero in my eyes. If he fights for a noble cause, he's a hero.

#14 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper: That's your opinion. In the comics like the scan I posted, Johnny Blaze says otherwise.

#15 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio

@thegreyoutcastx: Anyway, it doesn't rally matter. All I know is that I've heard people say he's the most powerful hero on the Marvel universe and I wanted to ask you guys if it's true. You've told me that it isn't. New question: who IS the most powerful hero in the Marvel universe, and why isn't it Ghost Rider?

#16 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5731 posts) - - Show Bio

He is one of the strongest but not the strongest.

#17 Edited by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper said:

@thegreyoutcastx: Anyway, it doesn't rally matter. All I know is that I've heard people say he's the most powerful hero on the Marvel universe and I wanted to ask you guys if it's true. You've told me that it isn't. New question: who IS the most powerful hero in the Marvel universe, and why isn't it Ghost Rider?

Some would argue Silver Surfer or other cosmic heroes are, but given all the reality warpers that exist in the MU, it's can vary. I know people have formed lists of who they believe is the strongest.

The Rider is one of the strongest. This is stated by Strange during the WWH tie-in. However, the Rider is limited because it requires a human host to temper his powers. That's the weakness of the Rider. It's the trade off.

#18 Posted by Bogey (944 posts) - - Show Bio

Ghost Rider isn't that strong. I kick his butt all the time with Thing in Marvel Avengers Alliance.

#19 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio

@thegreyoutcastx: So let me get this straight... Strange claims that the demon itself does possess unlimited power, and the human host (Blaze) is just there to pull his punches?

#20 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@thegreyoutcastx: So let me get this straight... Strange claims that the demon itself does possess unlimited power, and the human host (Blaze) is just there to pull his punches?

Blaze is possessed by Zarathos, a demon who once was a rival of Mephisto. So Zarathos is on par with Hell Lords. But the Rider has limits cause of his human host (It has trouble existing in the physical plane without a host. This happened to Danny and Noble) and can be beaten by magic, holy weapons, or Hell-fire. Danny as the Rider was nearly killed by Blaze during Danny's early days cause of a Hell-fire Shotgun.

#21 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@thegreyoutcastx: So Zarathos himself is much stronger than the Rider?

Not entirely sure. When Zarathos was able to gain physical form in the 90s, he basically was able to solo the Midnight Sons and sorta but not really killed the Rider (Danny Ketch). Mind you, that was all prior to Noble having his power awakened and the whole Angel of Death thing (This is when GR about equaled a Hell Lord in power and one shotted Blackheart killing him for a time.), as well as some of the more recent power definitions the Rider has had since then. That's the problem with Mystic characters, their power levels can vary.

#23 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio

@thegreyoutcastx: I get you... so can you reccomend any good GR read for a beginner?

#24 Posted by SavageDragon (2250 posts) - - Show Bio

@thegreyoutcastx: I get you... so can you reccomend any good GR read for a beginner?

I hear Jason Arron's run is really good, theres an omnibus of it too. I myself havnt read it but have heard good things.

#25 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper said:

I hear Jason Arron's run is really good, theres an omnibus of it too. I myself havnt read it but have heard good things.

That, plus there is Vicious Cycle (Daniel Way's run) which are good start for Blaze. Those are before and around the Civil War era of Marvel though. Just what ever you do, don't waste your time with the last volume of Ghost Rider (It's volume 7 and features the Female Rider). While it was an interesting idea, the story is terrible and only the Point one issue is good.

I don't know if they have released a omnibus of the 90s stuff, but if you wanted to read about Danny Ketch (the guy who frankly was the Rider when he started to become a badass) you could check on that. Anything modern on him is frankly a travesty to the character which sadly includes the Aaron run.

#26 Edited by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio

@thegreyoutcastx: Usually I don't tend to take Deadpool fans very seriously but I get you, thanks for your help man :)

#32 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@thegreyoutcastx: Usually I don't tend to take Deadpool fans very seriously but I get you, thanks for your help man :)

They say Way's run on Deadpool was either hit and miss or just crap. And yet he's the guy who wrote the Deadpool game.

#33 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper said:

They say Way's run on Deadpool was either hit and miss or just crap. And yet he's the guy who wrote the Deadpool game.

To tell the truth, if there's ONE character that I find very boring, it's Deadpool.

#34 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@thegreyoutcastx said:
@the_red_viper said:

To tell the truth, if there's ONE character that I find very boring, it's Deadpool.

The Aaron omnibus is kinda pricey like most omnibus, and the Way collection is probably cheaper than getting all the individual volumes. (though some of the prices I saw for the individuals were like low, like under 7 bucks.)

It all honestly depends on the writing team, and who he's partnered to. Cable and Deadpool are just freaking awesome. Otherwise, yea Wade can turn from awesome to annoying.

#35 Edited by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio

@thegreyoutcastx: Well yeah he's funny and all (Frosty the Fireman lolz) but I'd always prefer an interesting story over some boom-boom and jokes. In my eyes, there are 2 kinds of Deadpool fans: There's the type of guy who simply likes Deadpool as a parody and enjoys all the action and the jokes and everything.

Then there's the type of guy who thinks that all this action and jokes automatically make Deadpool the best character ever written and when asked why he loves Deadpool so much his only answer will be "coz he's like totally epic brah". You seem more the former though :)

Now regarding GR, aside from the fact that Aaron's one costs nearly 100$, I'd just rather avoid buying anything that's not directly from Amazon.

#36 Edited by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@thegreyoutcastx: Well yeah he's funny and all (Frosty the Fireman lolz) but I'd always prefer an interesting story over some boom-boom and jokes. In my eyes, there are 2 kinds of Deadpool fans: There's the type of guy who simply likes Deadpool as a parody and enjoys all the action and the jokes and everything.

Then there's the type of guy who thinks that all this action and jokes automatically make Deadpool the best character ever written and when asked why he loves Deadpool so much his only answer will be "coz he's like totally epic brah". You seem more the former though :)

Now regarding GR, aside from the fact that Aaron's one costs nearly 100$, I'd just rather avoid buying anything that's not directly from Amazon.

Totally agree with your assessment on Deadpool.

I hear ya. I've had some luck when it came to other dealers outside of amazon (not with comics though), but it's a big ticket item then I buy strictly from Amazon or the actual retailer the item came from.

#37 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio

@thegreyoutcastx: Well there's a good chance that I'll add either the Daniel Way omnibus or the "Hell Bent and Heaven Bound" to my next purcjase. Thanks a lot man :)

#38 Edited by Teerack (5751 posts) - - Show Bio

If the Rider lets the Spirit of Vengeance cut loose and the person it's fighting is guilty then they are. If the Spirit of Vengeance thought the Hulk wasn't innocent he could have ended WWH without effort. In Fear Itself she took down one of the worthy(A Thor level thread) with ONE punch and only lost because they tried to lift the hammer AFTER she knocked them out. She also brushed off a hit to the face from a hammer equal to Thor's like it was nothing.

There isn't a limit to Ghost Riders powers when the Rider can't control the Spirit.

Johnny Blaze is a very very strong Rider because he's pretty much never allowed the Spirit of Vengeance to run loose, so most comic fans are unaware of how strong Ghost Rider could be.

#39 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio

@thegreyoutcastx: Oh, thought those ones were with Blaze as the Rider... thanks :)

#44 Posted by PowerHerc (82755 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Not even close.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.