Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

In general, whats the fan consensus on Ultimate Marvel??

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By feargalr

Im currently reading through all of it, I just finished ultimatum (No spoilers please! Aside from what we all know about Miles Morales...) I usually only go on comic vine to check out the news and the occasional review and really don't visit the forums here or anywhere else with comic stuff.... but basically what do people think about the Ultimate Marvel universe? I really enjoy it.... just cos its a lot tighter then regular continuity, like the writers know the story from the outset and they're able to trim the fat .. and I love that characters can be killed off and stuff can change and it won't always be changed back ten minutes later ya know.... which from what I understand seems to be a fan issue in the main continuity (at least I know something happened way back when with clone wars and ben reilly being the real spiderman or something like that?). Also I love how the continuity isn't convoluted was massive universe changing events (at least compared to regular continuity, but thats down to it being younger) that being said I do really enjoy the mainstream continuity but sometimes its like come on just stay dead already!!!!!!!

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By WARLOCK2792

I feel that it's desperate, and tends to get rid of way too many good people in the dumbest ways. It was REALLY enjoyable at one point for me. But now, I get angry when I see some of the newest plot developments. I do appreciate the darker tones though. You never really know which person is safe or not. But I feel that there are better ways of adding drama than by abusing that sense of suspense associated with permanent death. Especially when several of the Ultimate characters were actually a beautiful breather from the drama that is the 616 universe. Same with Exiles.

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Or35ti

I feel it's a lot more grounded than Marvel's mainstream continuity and more realistic (as far as realism goes in comics of such caliber). and like you said, it's great how someone can die or something tragic can happen and we can actually see the world affected by the loss and not have it return 18 months later (or even less). If Cap's shield breaks in the Ultimate U, it's staying broken, unlike Earth-616 (See Fear Itself). But I think it's great and if you can afford Marvel's ridiculous prices (something which I have trouble with) stick with it. The new titles sound especially interesting :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

I'm reading the new Ultimates and Ultimate X-Men and really enjoy them.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Gambit1024

In a nutshell? It started off fantastically. Then it slipped. Then it slipped A LOT. Then it twas garbage. Now I just don't care about it.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By joshmightbe

I HATE Ultimate Marvel, they turned Cap into a Xenophobic a$$hole, Thor into a crazy person, Hulk into a cannibal and Wolverine into an even bigger douche than he is in the 616. I'm ok with realism but did they have to turn every damn super hero into a sociopath?

Avatar image for deadpoolvironfist
    DeadpoolvIronFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DeadpoolvIronFist

I love the Ultimate Universe.

_jackbauer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By _jackbauer

The new spider-man book managed to hook me for month-to-month reads. As "extreme" as the ultimate universe sounds (as described by people in this thread and others I have read), the new ultimate spider-man title is surprisingly approachable, thoughtful, and enjoyable. Miles isn't just another typical know-it-all, ultra-enthusiastic, attention-whoring, nose-running teenager; he's a genuinely likeable, modest, and relatable character.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#9  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

It started of awesome, then it got crap, then it realy carp, now its back to being awesome again :)

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ReVamp

Pre Ultimatum was good. Then it became crap. Now its getting better, in a wierd way.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

I loved Ultimate X-Men when it first came out, but later on, it started to get so bad. I haven't read the newest Ultimate X-Men yet.

catfightfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By catfightfan

I love the Ultimate Universe concept, but am still distressed that they cancelled Ultimate Fantastic Four.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#13  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Personally I'm enjoying the Ultimate Universe more than the mainstream universe, and one of the biggest reason why is because I've finally gotten sick and tried of things happening on Earth-616, huge epic things, only for them to revert back to what they were just a few months before. As well, I'm enjoying the fact that most of all, things are actually changing and we're seeing progression in the universe instead of the same old status que. Personally I think that's one of the biggest things hurting Marvel currently with their mainstream titles is that they're doing all of these big changes only to revert back to what was before only a few months later and it's honestly getting tiresome at this point. There's only so many times you can hear about an event that will "change everything!" only to feel cheated and ripped off as only a few months after said event things are exactly back to the way they were...

Lexino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lexino

Ultimate Marvel is how I got into reading Marvel, and I really enjoyed it, until Ultimatum, when it just got extreme and crazy, then after that it was ok, then Fallout and its following series are great, so it kinda redeemed itself. Now I read 616 series too.

I would love Ultimate Fantastic Four to come back, but I don't see how, seeing that Mr Fantastic went...you know.

NX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NX
    @White Mage said:

I feel that it's desperate, and tends to get rid of way too many good people in the dumbest ways. It was REALLY enjoyable at one point for me. But now, I get angry when I see some of the newest plot developments. I do appreciate the darker tones though. You never really know which person is safe or not. But I feel that there are better ways of adding drama than by abusing that sense of suspense associated with permanent death. Especially when several of the Ultimate characters were actually a beautiful breather from the drama that is the 616 universe. Same with Exiles.

I agree with that post. 100%
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @ReVamp said:

Pre Ultimatum was good. Then it became crap. Now its getting better, in a wierd way.

This but it's still not as good as pre Ultimatum.
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Daveyo520

It is good.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ReVamp
    @TheCrowbar said:
    @ReVamp said:

This but it's still not as good as pre Ultimatum.
    Ditto.
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By PowerHerc

It started out great but has kinda lost it's way.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.