Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

If Andrew Garfield was on the cover of a superhero magazine

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

with RDJ and Chris Evan's Iron Man and Capt America, would you call that a disgrace to Spider-man?

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By kgb725

Why would that be a disgrace

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Andrew Garfield isn't an amazing spiderman but no it wouldn't be a disgrace

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: He doesn't deserve that list though. I'm wondering it would still be a disgrace to include him to the iconic people list.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No it would not be a disgrace, Garfield captures Spidey and Parker perfectly (if you exclude the skateboard thing).

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ascended

@thor_parker82: Garfield didn't do that. It's the writers' that wrote him to be a better PP/SM. There's no way that you're ever going to be able to insult people's intelligence with that kind of comment.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ascended said:

@thor_parker82: Garfield didn't do that. It's the writers' that wrote him to be a better PP/SM. There's no way that you're ever going to be able to insult people's intelligence with that kind of comment.

When did I say it was Garfield´s idea the skateboard thing ? I didn´t say that, I know the writers did that, and I don´t understand your comment about me trying to insult people´s intelligence, I´m not trying to insult anybody, I am just saying that Garfield did a great job portraying Peter and Spiderman

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ascended

@thor_parker82 said:

@ascended said:

When did I say it was Garfield´s idea the skateboard thing ? I didn´t say that, I know the writers did that, and I don´t understand your comment about me trying to insult people´s intelligence, I´m not trying to insult anybody, I am just saying that Garfield did a great job portraying Peter and Spiderman

He portrayed a better PP/SM BECAUSE it's the writers that wrote him that way. I have a feeling that you're not understanding that some people don't think highly of Garfield in general, that's why I do not think we've found the right guy to play Spider-man yet. If we did, then why do we need all this hate?

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Thor-Parker

@ascended: It doesn´t matter wich actor plays Spiderman, there are always going to be people that do not like him despite if he is good at the role or not, what I am saying is that Garfield is great at playing Peter and Spidey, I know the writers wrote him that way, but he is the one that gives life to the role, and he does it great.

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ascended

@thor_parker82: You would be saying the same thing about Tobey Maguire too if he was written the same way as Andrew Garfield was written. I think the perfect Spider-man is lying somewhere in between Tobey and Andrew.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ascended said:

@thor_parker82 said:

@ascended said:

He portrayed a better PP/SM BECAUSE it's the writers that wrote him that way. I have a feeling that you're not understanding that some people don't think highly of Garfield in general, that's why I do not think we've found the right guy to play Spider-man yet. If we did, then why do we need all this hate?

Well, from what I have read, most Spiderman fans that read his comics prefer Andrew Garfield because he is more like the Peter and Spidey from the comics, and the people that DO NOT read comics prefer Tobey Maguire because he was the first one, they would prefer Garfield also if he was the first that played Spiderman.

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ascended

@thor_parker82 said:

@ascended said:

@thor_parker82 said:

@ascended said:

Well, from what I have read, most Spiderman fans that read his comics prefer Andrew Garfield because he is more like the Peter and Spidey from the comics, and the people that DO NOT read comics prefer Tobey Maguire because he was the first one, they would prefer Garfield also if he was the first that played Spiderman.

Which is why there has to be a balance of in between the both.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By oldnightcrawler

No it would not be a disgrace, Garfield captures Spidey and Parker perfectly (if you exclude the skateboard thing).

Spidey' more than Parker I think.

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By devilsgrin81

@ascended: i think a more apt question.. is do YOU like Garfield as PP/SM? Coz most of your comments suggest you don't. Hiding perhaps behind "some people" to mask your own opinion?

As to the original question... of course its not a disgrace. Even using that phrasing implies you think it is. Frankly, RDj was the sublime choice to play Tony Stark. No question. Chris Evans is a good actor, and he certainly looks the part...but movie Cap is even duller than Comic Cap... so of the three options... Chris Evans would be the odd one out. The two new Spidey movies have made vastly more money than the two Captain America films.

I think Tobey Maguire was an awful choice when originally cast all those years ago... he was SOSOSO whiney. and his Spidey-isms ... the mouth, the wit... fell flat every time. Garfield utterly nails that part.

Of course the writers and director can be thanked for how the movies and performance turned out. Thats like saying "thanks chef for making such a great dinner." The ingredients, in this case Tobey and Andrew, are where the performance, ability, and the correctness of selection come in. I don't read Spidey comics, so i'm not coming down in favour of Garfield coz of that. I just think he's a significantly better choice than Maguire ever was.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Superhero magazine? We have those now?

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Um.....no?

Beata

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ascended

@devilsgrin81 said:

@ascended: i think a more apt question.. is do YOU like Garfield as PP/SM? Coz most of your comments suggest you don't. Hiding perhaps behind "some people" to mask your own opinion?

As to the original question... of course its not a disgrace. Even using that phrasing implies you think it is. Frankly, RDj was the sublime choice to play Tony Stark. No question. Chris Evans is a good actor, and he certainly looks the part...but movie Cap is even duller than Comic Cap... so of the three options... Chris Evans would be the odd one out. The two new Spidey movies have made vastly more money than the two Captain America films.

I think Tobey Maguire was an awful choice when originally cast all those years ago... he was SOSOSO whiney. and his Spidey-isms ... the mouth, the wit... fell flat every time. Garfield utterly nails that part.

Of course the writers and director can be thanked for how the movies and performance turned out. Thats like saying "thanks chef for making such a great dinner." The ingredients, in this case Tobey and Andrew, are where the performance, ability, and the correctness of selection come in. I don't read Spidey comics, so i'm not coming down in favour of Garfield coz of that. I just think he's a significantly better choice than Maguire ever was.

1) Are you serious? Captain America as looked by fans in general perspective seem like a random superhero and more dull than the comic book movie version. I always thought Chris Evans was the only one who made the character more interesting and have more personality than the general perspective counter-part.

Second, you're dead wrong about TASM 2 and Captain America's box office success. If you can go look up both films on boxofficemojo.com and do a comparison between the two sequels, you will see that Captain America: The Winter Soldier obviously made more money. Not only was it an appealing film to the audience with the perfect cast, but it also had respectable directors and writers who understand the character and quality films pretty well.

Chart on for the record:

==The Amazing Spider-man 2==

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=amazingspiderman2.htm

Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic:$201,597,62528.6%
    + Foreign:$504,119,80771.4%
    = Worldwide:$705,717,432

==Captain America: The Winter Soldier==

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=marvel14b.htm

Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic:$258,409,98136.3%
    + Foreign:$454,317,00063.7%
    = Worldwide:$712,726,981

2) Whiney in what way? Could you give some examples? I think Andrew is just as annoying too since most of the time he interacts with other characters, he can sound like himself or sometimes sound like a monotone 10 year old speaking (that is not with the stuttering factored in of course other wise there would be more flaws pointed out).

3) Not really. I don't think either of them are great choices for this. Adding in with the fact that most of these new Spider-man movies are catered towards the female demographics and social hipsters, he's also too much of a pretty face for this where as at least Maguire had the better build and looks, and didn't come off as much of a caricature for "Peter Parker" like Andrew did.

I'm no hardcore Raimi fan, but I will say that I like his crews more than Webb's crews at the moment. Their take on the character was more interesting to me overall, and delivered soul to the franchise. And plus, their castings weren't rushed compared to the new ones.

The difference between the two actors is that one was more likable and ideal to the role, and the other one is the better PP/SM even though he's not as ideal and likable as the original actor.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Why would it be a disgrace? Because you are an angry fanboy, perhaps?

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ascended

@devilsgrin81: And ignoring the post I just delivered to you right? Seems fair enough based on your own judgement.

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ascended: interesting that you ignored the taking for the first Amazing Spider-Man and the Captain America First Avenger... Because i seem to recall mentioning the TWO Spidey movies vx the TWO Cap Movies? hmmm? didn't i? Chris Evans... the only interest he brings is BUFF!!! he's HOT. thats it. he's not a great actor, the writing for his character isn't great, (those around him, even Scarlet, get much better writing), Bucky stole the Winter Soldier, Widow, Falcon and Fury were awesome. Cap was good only in combat... otherwise he was SO meh.

Captain America: The First Avenger...

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=captainamerica.htm

Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic:$176,654,50547.7%
    + Foreign:$193,915,26952.3%
    = Worldwide:$370,569,774

Amazing Spider-Man

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=spiderman4.htm

Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic:$262,030,66334.6%
    + Foreign:$495,900,00065.4%
    = Worldwide:$757,930,663

I do think 1.5 billion is significantly more than just over 1 billion...

Will agree that there's been an effort in Amazing to appeal to females compared to the raimi Spider-man films... but i would never use Andrew Garfield as that bait. Emma Stone is the female bait.

Found Maquire Parker to be far too much a wall-paper character... so passive and boring. I don't need to cite examples... its patently obvious for three films. Does he smile more than once in each movie? do these smiles ever seem natural? is he creepy in his obsession with mary-jane?

Never said either were great choices... but Garfield is the better of the two.

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ascended

@devilsgrin81 said:

@ascended: interesting that you ignored the taking for the first Amazing Spider-Man and the Captain America First Avenger... Because i seem to recall mentioning the TWO Spidey movies vx the TWO Cap Movies? hmmm? didn't i? Chris Evans... the only interest he brings is BUFF!!! he's HOT. thats it. he's not a great actor, the writing for his character isn't great, (those around him, even Scarlet, get much better writing), Bucky stole the Winter Soldier, Widow, Falcon and Fury were awesome. Cap was good only in combat... otherwise he was SO meh.

Total Lifetime Grosses

Amazing Spider-Man

Total Lifetime Grosses

Will agree that there's been an effort in Amazing to appeal to females compared to the raimi Spider-man films... but i would never use Andrew Garfield as that bait. Emma Stone is the female bait.

Found Maquire Parker to be far too much a wall-paper character... so passive and boring. I don't need to cite examples... its patently obvious for three films. Does he smile more than once in each movie? do these smiles ever seem natural? is he creepy in his obsession with mary-jane?

Lol, let's continue this further shall we? Since we're both movie viewers and have no reference to the comics, let's converse this as good as possible

1) I ignored it because you were wrong when you said BOTH Amazing Spider-man movies have grossed more than both Captain America's movies in the box office. So I used Captain America: The Winter Soldier to prove that you are wrong when we compare its sequel to The Amazing Spider-man's sequel. Also, last time I checked, the first Amazing Spider-man movie performed around $400 million in the box office, the fact that it now shows $750 million, kind of bugs me, in a WEIRD way.

2) He's hot and likable at least. What's wrong with that when you compare him to someone hot like Andrew Garfield who's not even near as likable as he is? At least Chris Evan's performances are stomach-able compared to Andrew Garfield's. Do I also need to mention that the actor himself doesn't really just appeal to general audiences, but to comic book fans too? He's one of the most beloved casts in the superhero films, I haven't found anyone who hates Chris Evans other than you. This hate you have for him sounds the same kind of hate you have for Tobey Maguire, can I just call that pathetic?

3) How do you know anything about Scarlett Witch? We haven't seen her yet and she's going to come up in the Age of Ultron, which is going to be released in 2015. But if you meant Scarlett Johanson, maybe I'll credit that for you, but both of them have different traits in their characters, so why are you comparing apples to oranges? Also, I need to point out that BW is a superior, independent spy not just being very technical, but also is very convincing on the screen, something which I think Johanson is lacking to pull off at the moment even though she may improve in the next two sequels.

4) That's still over $700 million even though I find that grossing result to be suspicious at the moment. It's still not close to $1B revenue when you compare them to the Raimi films.

5) Hypocrisy much? They're both hotter than Tobey and Kirsten, but why do we need a bunch of actors and actresses with pretty faces to play these roles? Is it even necessary? Also, I like to note that even though I still feel that Stone is somewhat miscasted as Gwen Stacey, she's a more likable actor/actress than Garfield.

6) What's wrong with him smiling? Are you jealous that actors can act-smile better than you can? Also, the Maguire character I will agree never got proper character development, but that's most of the writers' fault. I liked Maguire's performances overall based on whatever was handed to him.

7) Slightly better of the two due to acting in general. But let's just say that both of them had good acting skills and can go toe to toe with each other sometimes, I would still pick Maguire over Garfield for the role since he would come off looking like Peter Parker more than Andrew would and if he was given the proper script like from TASM writers who understand PP/SM better. I don't need to keep on saying that both of them are awful choices in the end.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Thor-Parker

@ascended said:

@devilsgrin81 said:

Total Lifetime Grosses

Amazing Spider-Man

Total Lifetime Grosses

Lol, let's continue this further shall we? Since we're both movie viewers and have no reference to the comics, let's converse this as good as possible

1) I ignored it because you were wrong when you said BOTH Amazing Spider-man movies have grossed more than both Captain America's movies in the box office. So I used Captain America: The Winter Soldier to prove that you are wrong when we compare its sequel to The Amazing Spider-man's sequel. Also, last time I checked, the first Amazing Spider-man movie performed around $400 million in the box office, the fact that it now shows $750 million, kind of bugs me, in a WEIRD way.

2) He's hot and likable at least. What's wrong with that when you compare him to someone hot like Andrew Garfield who's not even near as likable as he is? At least Chris Evan's performances are stomach-able compared to Andrew Garfield's. Do I also need to mention that the actor himself doesn't really just appeal to general audiences, but to comic book fans too? He's one of the most beloved casts in the superhero films, I haven't found anyone who hates Chris Evans other than you. This hate you have for him sounds the same kind of hate you have for Tobey Maguire, can I just call that pathetic?

3) How do you know anything about Scarlett Witch? We haven't seen her yet and she's going to come up in the Age of Ultron, which is going to be released in 2015. But if you meant Scarlett Johanson, maybe I'll credit that for you, but both of them have different traits in their characters, so why are you comparing apples to oranges? Also, I need to point out that BW is a superior, independent spy not just being very technical, but also is very convincing on the screen, something which I think Johanson is lacking to pull off at the moment even though she may improve in the next two sequels.

4) That's still over $700 million even though I find that grossing result to be suspicious at the moment. It's still not close to $1B revenue when you compare them to the Raimi films.

5) Hypocrisy much? They're both hotter than Tobey and Kirsten, but why do we need a bunch of actors and actresses with pretty faces to play these roles? Is it even necessary? Also, I like to note that even though I still feel that Stone is somewhat miscasted as Gwen Stacey, she's a more likable actor/actress than Garfield.

6) What's wrong with him smiling? Are you jealous that actors can act-smile better than you can? Also, the Maguire character I will agree never got proper character development, but that's most of the writers' fault. I liked Maguire's performances overall based on whatever was handed to him.

7) Slightly better of the two due to acting in general. But let's just say that both of them had good acting skills and can go toe to toe with each other sometimes, I would still pick Maguire over Garfield for the role since he would come off looking like Peter Parker more than Andrew would and if he was given the proper script like from TASM writers who understand PP/SM better. I don't need to keep on saying that both of them are awful choices in the end.

Dude, why don´t you just accept that MAGUIRE DOES NOT LOOK LIKE PARKER . Just accept it. I showed you lots of scans of Parker in the other thread to prove you that GARFIELD HAS THE EXACT SAME LOOKS AS PETER.

ACCEPT IT.

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By devilsgrin81

@ascended: and thanks to your being unable to not resort to name calling and personal insults, this conversation is over, and you've been flagged.

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devilsgrin81: Oh and by the way, those reviews on rotten tomatoes for Spider-man and Captain America should also tell you the story and facts as well. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.