Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

I need some reading recommendations for Marvel

geoff2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By geoff2005

Hi, I am new to marvel. I have only read Ultimate.

I would like to start reading marvel but not everything.

I was thinking about starting at secret war. are there any recommendations of which events i should read? I dont want to read anything older than 2000.

thanks

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SmashBrawler

From the top of my head...

Current books:

• Amazing Spider-Man (start with Big Time)
    • Daredevil
    • Uncanny X-Force

Other stuff I really liked:

• Planet Hulk
    • DnA's Nova
    • DnA's Guardians of the Galaxy
    • Spider-Men
    • Civil War

You can start with Marvel NOW too.

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By tomlikesfries
    • Wolverine and the X-men
    • Scarlet Spider
    • Hawkeye
    • Daredevil
    • Ultimate Comics Spider-Man

I didn't mention titles like ASM or Uncanny X-Force, because they were ''canceled'' and are gonna start with issue 1 again.

Marvel NOW! is gonna renumber a bunch of series. Here they are: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_NOW!

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Cap10nate

@geoff2005: Secret War is a good story but if you are looking for a place to start, I would say start with Civil War. The story itself is very good and it will introduce you to most of tge major players in Marvel. Most of the books have tie ins to CW so you can follow whichever characters you like.

From that time period around 2005 and 2006 , my favorite stories are basically all by Brubaker with Captain America, Iron Fist, and Daredevil. Fraction took over Iron Fist and it was really good when he wrote it as well.

I basically started my reading with Cap abd then branched out during Civil War to the New Avengers and the other Avenger titles. The events are CW aren't as good. Secret Invasion is not as good if you just read the event books. However, I was able to pick up most of the tie ins and ut us actually a really good story but it just takes a lot to read.

If you are interested in Marvel Cosmic, there have been some great stories from 2004ish through now. Starting with Annihilation followed by Annihilation Conquest and then the Thanos Imperative. All are very well written. Conquest is another story that is better with the tie ins. The other two are pretty well self contained.

Currently, my two favorite books are Winter Soldier and Hawkeye. WS stems from Brubakers Captain America run and us a great espionage thriller with awesome art. Hawkeye has been a very funny and well written story from Fraction. Going forward with Marvel Now, there is a lot of shajeup with the teams. It may be good to pick up a couple of the team books to find characters that you like and want to buy solos. I am looking forward to the upcoming Captain America book by Remender because he did a fantastic job with X-force (you should read his X Force) and the Secret Avengers that is coming out in February. Let me know if you have any questions on the story lines. I think I have read a lot of the stuff since Civil War besides X men titles

geoff2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By geoff2005

thanks ill check those out, so far my marvel list as of right now is to read

I am thinking about starting at secret war and reading crossover events like house of M, Sentry, civil war, fear it self, nercosha, shadowland, wolverine goes to hell, the seige, x men second coming, new avengers. that all I have for now. Any other events i should read? Its a lot but also was wondering if there something on here i shouldnt read and something i should read instead

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@SmashBrawler said:

From the top of my head...

Current books:

• Amazing Spider-Man (start with Big Time)
    • Daredevil
    • Uncanny X-Force

Other stuff I really liked:

• Planet Hulk
    • DnA's Nova
    • DnA's Guardians of the Galaxy
    • Spider-Men
    • Civil War

You can start with Marvel NOW too.

This sums up almost exactly what I came into this thread to say :)

geoff2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By geoff2005

@tomlikesfries said:

• Wolverine and the X-men
    • Scarlet Spider
    • Hawkeye
    • Daredevil
    • Ultimate Comics Spider-Man

I didn't mention titles like ASM or Uncanny X-Force, because they were ''canceled'' and are gonna start with issue 1 again.

Marvel NOW! is gonna renumber a bunch of series. Here they are: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_NOW!

so Uncanny x-force are being "rebooted" for marvel now?

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

#8  Edited By tomlikesfries

@geoff2005: Yes it is. There's also another X-Force title starting in december, It's called Cable and X-Force.

catfightfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By catfightfan

The Jonathan Hickman run on Fantastic Four was highly acclaimed by many. It lasted for about three years and just ended with the most recent issue. Even if you do not wish to go backwards, you could start with Fantastic Four now, since the next issue begins a new creative team. The next year promises to be interesting, as the team is on an adventure through space and time. (Time travel is always a winner I think.)

geoff2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By geoff2005

@catfightfan said:

The Jonathan Hickman run on Fantastic Four was highly acclaimed by many. It lasted for about three years and just ended with the most recent issue. Even if you do not wish to go backwards, you could start with Fantastic Four now, since the next issue begins a new creative team. The next year promises to be interesting, as the team is on an adventure through space and time. (Time travel is always a winner I think.)

hmm I dont mind going back 3 years. However, ill take a look into that.

This is my reading list of events for marvel

Secret War, House of M, Annihilation, New Avengers, Planet Hulk, The thanos Imperative, The sentry, Civil War, WWH and aftersmash, Annihilation Conquest, Secret Invasion, Daken Dark Wolverine, Dark Reign, War of Kings, Nerosha, Fall of Hulks, Realm of Kings, Thor, Siege, Doomwar, Second coming, WWHS, Shadowland, Annihilators, Fear itself, Schism Regensis, Uncanny x force, AVX.

I pretty much put it in the order I will be reading to coincide with timeline. My question is, is that fairly correct?

I

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.