I need help getting in

#1 Edited by cameron83 (6696 posts) - - Show Bio

ok,sorry if this thread has been done before,which i highly doubt it has since I want recent information and the only ones i can find are from 4 years ago or something.

So,i am "taking a break" from dc comics.I feel a bit frustrated at the fanboys,the lack of moving stories (don't get me wrong,i love dc comics,but at the moment there is nothing new or up to my expectations).So until they show something to win me back,or whatever I am going to be with marvel.So a question,Where do i get started.I went on the marvel comics page and wiki and didn't really help me.I also want to know the basic primary characters and teams,but mostly a history so far of marvel up to date.And it is kinda hard since i still like DC,and am more use to it,so it is a bit harder to get into marvel,but please,just help.

#2 Posted by SmashBrawler (5501 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel NOW has just begun (Uncanny Avengers came out this week), so I would recommend starting there.

#3 Posted by Duke_Nasty (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

Marvel NOW has just begun (Uncanny Avengers came out this week), so I would recommend starting there.

They marketed Marvel NOW as a jump on point but Uncanny Avengers #1 was entirely about AvX and House of M. I guess we will see how the rest of the launches go.

#4 Edited by cameron83 (6696 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler: what the heck is marvel NOW is it an alternate universe or something

#5 Posted by Duke_Nasty (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: It is a relaunch that is supposed to be a jumping on point for New readers. Kind of like the New 52 except continuity is being kept. Uncanny Avengers is a mix of X-Men and Avengers characters and it launched on Wednesday. Cap, Iron Man, Thor and Hulk are launching at #1 in November then more will launch in December and Wolverine and Spider-Man relaunch in January.

#6 Posted by SmashBrawler (5501 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: A relaunch, similar to DC's New 52, but on a smaller scale (it's not a reboot and there's less titles involved).

#7 Posted by Bitchgurl (131 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83 said:

@SmashBrawler: what the heck is marvel NOW is it an alternate universe or something

MMM..more like a relaunch of some titles, but still firmly in the 'normal' MU. I would recommend both Captain America and the new Hulk title as well, as both sound like they would be good places to start

#8 Posted by cameron83 (6696 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bitchgurl: @SmashBrawler: @Duke_Nasty:

OK thanks,but what about the universe.What do i need to know from the start (like in dc universe,i knew ted kord was killed).

What is a basic backstory

#9 Posted by SmashBrawler (5501 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83 said:

OK thanks,but what about the universe.What do i need to know from the start (like in dc universe,i knew ted kord was killed).

Well, in theory you shouldn't need to read anything before. Keywords being "in theory" since I haven't ready any Marvel NOW titles yet.

#10 Posted by MisterKetch (253 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83 said:

It depends on what you decide to pick up I guess but overall Marvel did just finish up there Avengers vs X men event which was about the phoenix coming back to earth, most of the x men were like "yeah maybe more mutants will be born" (scarlet witch pretty much wiped out the mutants a few years back in another event) and the avengers were all like "oh no this is bad we better try and stop this". Long story short phoenix was stopped but mutants have started to show up again, cyclops is in prison a few other x men are fugitives a few others are avengers now and Xavier is dead. (Obviously super simplified and I'm also leaving out my own opinions... though lets just say Im not reading the Cap America book because of it)

Im not sure how new Hulk is gonna take up after the current Hulk comics in which banner and hulk were separated then back together with banner becoming a sociopath trying to kill the hulk forever.

I'm new to Marvel myself and have been playing catch up on a few things im waiting for the marvel now spiderman titles before I get into him but I will say 10 issues into Scarlet Spider its been a good comic even without any previous history with the character, At least so far anything from his past gets a good explanation without bogging down the story flow, plus its been largely stand alone (with the new minimum carnage event being the exception)

Marvel Now is supposed to be a jumping on point so even old back-story will (theoretically) be explained if it comes up but I think most of the new number 1 titles will be designed for new readers (or at least I think that's what Marvel is trying to do) but either way there all new stories, though Uncanny Avengers is an exception and now that I think about it most of the Xmen titles I would imagine have to reference AvX

#11 Edited by Yai_Inn (352 posts) - - Show Bio
@cameron83 said: 

2004: Avengers Disassembled: Scarlet Witch goes crazy and kills the Avengers (Avengers fans are pissed)
2005: House of M: Scarlet Witch goes crazy and alters reality, mutants under Magneto rule the planet (Doom is pissed)
2006: Decimation: Scarlet Witch goes crazy and removes mutant powers from 99% of the mutant population (X-Men fans are pissed) 
2007: Civil War: Iron-Man decides everyone with superpowers needs to register with the government. Cap leads a rebellion. Spider-Man reveals his secret identity to the world. 
2007: One More Day: Spider-Man makes a deal with Mephisto (the Devil) to save Aunt May and get his secret identity back (Spidy fans are pissed) 
2008: World War Hulk: Hulk returns to Earth (after being exiled by the Illuminati) and wants revenge on those responsible (Hulk is pissed) 
2008: Messiah Complex: Hope Summers is born. First mutant birth since "M-Day" (Cyke is stoked) 
2008: Secret Invasion: Skrulls invade Earth. No one can trust anyone, Norman Osborn (Green Goblin) comes out in control of S.H.I.E.L.D (fans are like wtf? - way too many tie-ins!)
2009: Dark Reign: Norman Osborn forms the Dark Avengers it leads into Siege.  
2010: Siege: Osborn leads an attack on Asguard, because it's floating over Oklahoma. Heroes win and Osborn ain't in control no more. (Sentry dies)   
2010: Second Coming: Hope Summers returns from the future with Cable (Nightcrawler fans are pissed)  
2011: Fear Itself: Didn't read it... Asguardian God of Fear does some stuff... (everyone says it sucks) 
2011: Schism: Wolverine reopens the X-Men school in upstate New York. Renames it Jean Grey school. Half the mutants follow him. Half say on Utopia with Cyclops.  
2012: Avengers vs. X-Men: Phoenix Force comes to Earth. Avengers panic and attack X-Men try to stop Hope from getting it. Avengers then give Hope the P-Force and she repowers all the mutants from way back when Wanda removed em. (fans are tired of events and hoping Marvel Now can lead to some strong character focused stories...oh fingers crossed) 
#12 Edited by cameron83 (6696 posts) - - Show Bio

because the thing is that DC is very frustrating also,I waited a week only to find f|cking dreamworks dragons on.DC frustrates me,but I can barely get into Marvel.Not only because I am too used to DC,But most marvel characters and teams (mainly the main ones) are just unintersting to me/I just dont like them:

I dont like X men

Fantastic 4-I only (partially) like the human torch

Avengers-Don't like them,including the hulk

Thor-I just don't like him at all

Iron man-I only like the movie version,the comic version is just boring to me (wierd isn't it)

Captain america-I like his spirit but feel he is mostly useless in action

And i only sorta kinda like spiderman

etc. and so forth.I guess I am a DC fan by nature

#13 Edited by cameron83 (6696 posts) - - Show Bio

@Yai_Inn: Also thanks alot,why is scarlet witch always going crazy

#14 Posted by Yai_Inn (352 posts) - - Show Bio
@cameron83 said:

@Yai_Inn: Also thanks alot,why is scarlet witch always going crazy

IDK. writers tend to make reality warping characters crazy. Basically she fell in love with a robot (Vision) and then decided to have children with him. So she used her powers to create them, had a nervous breakdown, and then was manipulated by her twin brother Pietro (Quicksilver).  

For getting into Marvel it really depends on your taste. What books did you enjoy at DC? 
My own recommendations would be...  
  • Hawkeye - just started, it's only 2 issues in (IIRC) and is quite good.  
  • Gambit - if you liked Indiana Jones this series has been similar, adventure/action/mystery/romance packed, and is only 3 issues in.  
  • Dare Devil End of Days - This is an "out of continuity" story being written by Bendis. And though Bendis does get alot of hate for what he writes his DD run is praised by all who read it; he has a talent for writing grit stories. And Yes the Dare Devil run by Waid is awesome too, however I would say the Bendis end of days would be an easier place to hop on and would be a great introduction to the character as Bendis is so familiar with writing him. And it is only 1 issue in! Honest this is the one I'd recommend most.  
  • Mimimum Carnage is another... it's a cross over between Venom and Scarlet Spider... I just started reading it for the event and it's easy to jump in with. It's been okay so far but people have been loving both the Venom and Scarlet Spider so I'm expecting good things. It's only 2 issues in and if you like Spider-Man this might be a good one to pick up. 
I think that's a decent place to start if you're looking for "street" level type characters/stories. If you're more looking for the cosmic higher powered stuff I'd say wait for Fantastic Four and Future Foundation in the Marvel now. Or look for trades of some of the past cosmic events. Annihilation Wave, Annihilation Conquest and Thanos Imperative are all really good.  

Hope that helps. 
#15 Posted by JimTheSurfer (560 posts) - - Show Bio

Read Scarlet Spider. It's the beast. Venom series, which launched in late 2010, I think, are the beast also. Venom is like spider-man who kills and that's like the best thing ever invented.

#16 Posted by cameron83 (6696 posts) - - Show Bio

@Yai_Inn: well for DC (new 52) I basically like everything.

But for Marvel,there are alot of things that I like,and others that I have no feeling,good or bad towards:

Captain America-I love his badass attitude (like in civil war) and his spirit.He has amazing skill.And I sorta like that he is human and for some odd reason,I like him better than superman (this is most likely temporary.i love superman,and maybe man of steel can change my views.But he just seems like a big blue,flying boyscout.Even superman vs the elite couldn't change my mind over who I preferred.And captain america is human,but again,maybe man of steel can change my views).

X men-For some reason I just like them.

SHIELD

Iron man-mainly the movie version and tv version.Bleeding edge looks ok.And So is extremis.But I don't really like marvel now

Daredevil-During civil war,when he made that bible reference.I just started to like him.He just got real cooler.

Kris anka's redesigns

Movies

I sorta like movie and mainly ult. spiderman's thor

Realistic stories/situations (take civil war for example)

Sorta spider man (movie)

fantastic four

It's non-traditional

#17 Edited by cameron83 (6696 posts) - - Show Bio

@Yai_Inn: And I am too use to DC....I know most about DC......I am so lost..but i will look at that DD:eod

Also ,let me put things this way:

If iron man were to make battle suits for shield,I wouldn't be as excited if batman were to make battle suits for argus.

Also I like marvel's skrulls and secret invasion.

But civil war was just mindblowing (kayjay comics makes it 1000x better)

I sorta like nova.And I like teen titans/young justice better than new avengers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.