Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

I'm looking for a good read

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 the_red_viper  Moderator

Hey, so I'm pretty new to the whole comics thing. I've read some DC and I really loved it but I'd like to try our Marvel as well.

I'm gonna buy Civil War and Thor: Vol 1. I'd like to know if there are any noob-friendly comics of Captain America and/or Ghost Rider as well.

Thanks in advance guys :)

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I can't recommend Ed Brubaker's Captain America run enough. It starts from Captain America: Winter Soldier, you can get the Ultimate Collection which collects the first twelve issues of the run. As long as you understand the basics of Cap, you're good to go.

Let me know if you need any more help :)

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 the_red_viper  Moderator

@veshark said:

I can't recommend Ed Brubaker's Captain America run enough. It starts from Captain America: Winter Soldier, you can get the Ultimate Collection which collects the first twelve issues of the run. As long as you understand the basics of Cap, you're good to go.

Let me know if you need any more help :)

Thanks :) So would Winter Soldier/Ultimate Collection explain the base story and all? And do you have anything good for Ghost Rider?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#4  Edited By Teerack

Read Alpha: Bit Time, it's a new mini series staring Spider-Man's former sidekick!

World War Hulk and Secret Invasion are in my opinion the best Marvel events.

The current Captain America and Journey into Mystery are great.

I think Mark Waid's current run on Daredevil has been Marvel's best ongoing series sense it started in my option so I highly recommend it.

If you don't know anything about the X-Men, All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men might come off a little intimidating and confusing to jump into even if you start at the 1's of the current volumes, but if you can get past that they are both VERY good.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@the_red_viper

More or less. Long as you know Cap's basic origin (served in WWII, frozen in block of ice, his sidekick died), it's pretty easy to follow. But if you want a modern retelling of Captain America's origin story - I'd definitely recommend Captain America: Man out of Time. This fantastic book covers Cap's awakening from WWII to the 21st century, and shows how he adjusted into the leader of the Avengers. It's a fantastic read and will introduce you to Cap's character.

But I wouldn't be too concerned about understanding everything. After a while, as you continue to read more comics, the blanks will start filling themselves. As for Ghost Rider, I'm not really an expert on the character, but most people seem to really enjoy the Road to Damnation and Daniel Way's run, the latter beginning with Vicious Cycle. There's also the older Danny Ketch run.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By the_red_viper  Moderator

@teerack said:

Read Alpha: Bit Time, it's a new mini series staring Spider-Man's former sidekick!

I think Mark Waid's current run on Daredevil has been Marvel's best ongoing series sense it started in my option so I highly recommend it.

If you don't know anything about the X-Men, All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men might come off a little intimidating and confusing to jump into even if you start at the 1's of the current volumes, but if you can get past that they are both VERY good.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

@teerack said:

Sorry never really been a big Ghost Rider fan so I have no clue >.<

The only Ghost Rider stuff I've read are the World War Hulk tie in, the Fear Itself tie in, and that one team up with Spider-Man a few years ago :P

Maybe this will help idk

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Try Jason Aaron's Ghost Rider run.

BB

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.