Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Hunger.....

green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Anyone reading this? Any good? How's the new Herald?

Avatar image for hillbillymorangie
    HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it, but it hasn't really got started yet

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great mini series

Baron_BJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has a lot of continuity problems (if you care), though these aren't the worst out there (things like the aliens looking like their 616 counterparts instead of their Ultimate ones, characters not remembering each other from previous meetings, etc, it's not impossible to overlook them, but it's a draw back), the art is gorgeous, it's not badly told although it is a slow burn and as a mini-series it won't stand on its own because it will lead directly into cataclysm.

green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any insight into the new Herald?

Baron_BJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any insight into the new Herald?

I'm not sure what you're referring to I'm afraid, there aren't any heralds in Hunger. I've read every book in the Ultimate line since its inception and there aren't really heralds for Gah Lak Tus/Galactus, however he has used Silver humanoids of unknown origins to prepare worlds for him (http://marvel.wikia.com/Heralds_of_Gah_Lak_Tus_%28Earth-1610%29), though it's implied that these are consciousnesses that the swarm created, not beings that the swarm chose to convert to their cause; this explanation also makes the most sense because the swarm is repulsed and angered by biological life, to the point where communicating with biological life enrages it and makes it feel unclean and violated, its goal being to wipe all biological life out.

There has been a Silver Surfer in the universe however, though he wasn't created by the Gah Lak Tus swarm and is in fact completely unrelated. He also went by the name Silver Searcher (a terrible name from a terrible story), though he is referred to as Norrin Radd in this incarnation. http://marvel.wikia.com/Norrin_Radd_%28Earth-1610%29

The above wiki-link I checked whilst refreshing my memory reminded me of Ultimate Vision, one could argue that she counts as a herald, however she isn't allied with the swarm and wasn't created by the swarm (instead being created by a race that wished to warn others of the incoming danger), merely warning civilizations of the impending arrival of the swarm so that they may prepare and attempt to fight it back.

HOWEVER. After everything I've said it has been made clear in Hunger that the surfer that is present is from the Ultimate Universe and is named Norrin Radd, however he is not the Silver Searcher. What does this mean? I'm leaning toward Fialkov getting the continuity wrong again, I like the man's writing, but every single book he's written in the Ultimate line has managed to both be deeply tied into the universes history whilst simultaneously getting large chunks of it wrong in the process.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.