Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

How would you feel if Marvel did reboot?

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

If Marvel decided to fully reboot their universe like DC did with New 52 as in completely changing the characters' histories and changing their relationships with each other, how would you feel about that?

We did sort of had something like that with the Ultimate Universe, but now that it was rumoredthat the Ultimate Universe might disappear, this topic about Marvel rebooting could be taken into consideration.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By PeppeyHare

Yeah Marvel isn't going to reboot. These threads/rumors are silly

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 2

It won't happen but if it did I probably wouldn't be a big fan.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish they would. =) If done will like DC it would stick around.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It won't happen but if it did I probably wouldn't be a big fan.

I probably wouldn't be on board with it either, especially if they are going to change the relationships between the characters I liked.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't like it.

As far as whether it could happen - Of course it could happen!

Marvel doesn't care about their characters' histories or their longtime fans. Marvel only publishes comics to make money off movies and licensing of their characters. The movies have been successful and thus we are seeing the comics looking more like the movies instead of the movies looking more like the comics.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't like it.

Marvel doesn't care about their characters' histories or their longtime fans. Marvel only publishes comics to make money off movies and licensing of their characters. The movies have been successful and thus we are seeing the comics looking more like the movies instead of the movies looking more like the comics.

I agree with this. Lately, most of the comic books are taking scenes from the movies and even making the characters more like their movie counterparts, even though the movie universe and the comic book universe are completely different from each other. I guess they figured that if the movies are more successful than the comics, why not make the comics like the movies to make even more money?

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerherc said:

I wouldn't like it.

I agree with this. Lately, most of the comic books are taking scenes from the movies and even making the characters more like their movie counterparts, even though the movie universe and the comic book universe are completely different from each other. I guess they figured that if the movies are more successful than the comics, why not make the comics like the movies to make even more money?

That's what they seem to think. They fail to realize that the comic versions are superior to the movie versions.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By M3th

Meth wouldn't be happy for it but the collector mentally Meth has would be laid to rest. Ya KNO. plus Meth is always game for change it be interesting.

-m3th.O.D.-

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By danhimself

it depends...

if they take their time and do it properly and plan things out and have a solid blueprint and timeline set up prior to the reboot then perhaps I would be ok with it

but if they go about the same way that DC did then I'm out completely

but then again just thinking about it however unlikely happening makes me extremely angry...pretty much the same way I felt when DC announced the New 52

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

it depends...

if they take their time and do it properly and plan things out and have a solid blueprint and timeline set up prior to the reboot then perhaps I would be ok with it

but if they go about the same way that DC did then I'm out completely

but then again just thinking about it however unlikely happening makes me extremely angry...pretty much the same way I felt when DC announced the New 52

I would probably get mad also if they did a reboot on the Marvel Universe since I loved some of the older stories being put out and doing a reboot would erase all of those stories. Also, I'm not sure if the stories in the reboot would ever be on the same level as some of the most well-liked stories like "Dark Phoenix Saga" or "God Loves Man Kills," but that's just my opinion.

chem86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I'd be down for a reboot for sure. I could see some benefits to it for sure, x-men and avengers story has just gotten so crazy it can be hard to follow if you haven't been reading a while.

I also don't think marvel will do a reboot, at least in the near future. This doesn't bother me either, they don't need a reboot really. Reboot could potentially cause more problems than it would simplify. Either way it would be cool, but I don't believe marvel has enough reason to reboot anytime soon.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chem86 said:

I'd be down for a reboot for sure. I could see some benefits to it for sure, x-men and avengers story has just gotten so crazy it can be hard to follow if you haven't been reading a while.

I also don't think marvel will do a reboot, at least in the near future. This doesn't bother me either, they don't need a reboot really. Reboot could potentially cause more problems than it would simplify. Either way it would be cool, but I don't believe marvel has enough reason to reboot anytime soon.

I can't see Marvel rebooting at this moment either, especially since they are least likely to reboot their franchises at a given moment. They will probably retcon some stories in the current years like they have been doing like forever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

I'd feel cheated. I mean, I spent all this time and effort memorizing continuity, and suddenly they say none of it ever happened? That might actually make me give up Marvel comics...

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

Extremely happy, though they'd need new writers and editorial.

Marvel hasn't done anything good since like 2006, and they've destroyed each and every single one of their franchises to the point where the whole universe is just an embarrassment to the medium.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would hate it. I don't want to see my favorite characters histories flushed down the toilet, and replaced with poor mans versions of themselves complete with terrible origins and cheap costumes.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might actually read something from them.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

nah. let dc have 'new readers'. we can look up stuff on the mystical internet.

Avatar image for guardian_of_gravity
    Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rabbitearsblog: I'd drop Marvel pretty much entirely. One of my favored aspects of Marvel is continuity. It may be a clusterf*ck but it's one long line from Captain America, Namor, and the Human torch to Hicksman's Avengers, Thor God of Thunder, and Carol Denvers as Captain Marvel.

Also I hate the New 52 a lot and am looking forward to Linkara ripping it a new asshole soon.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I'm of two minds about it, actually, and, really it all boils down to whether or not the stories are good.

Personally, I love how much weird, shared history the mainstream MU has; even if it is all over the place, it's all there, it makes that world really diverse and colorful, in a way that painting a whole new world with one big brush (like the movies or The Ultimates universes) can never really do. Each character engages with and belongs to a more diverse world because of this, and ultimately possesses more diverse story potential.

Yeah, I get how coming into the comics can be confusing and daunting because of this; when I started reading in '92, Marvel continuity was already beyond confusing, and it's not like it's gotten any easier. But that was also the period for me when the stories felt the most intriguing, because I knew that there was this whole world and history that I didn't know about, so piecing it all together was exciting. And, it's not like not knowing how it all fit together kept me from enjoying the stories.

Which sort of brings me to my next point, which is that, despite the fact that I really do love the MU's shared history and shared universe, I don't really think that continuity is actually all that important. Nobody understands it when they start reading comics, and you shouldn't need to to enjoy a story anyway. A lot of my favorite DC comics were never in continuity to begin with (All Star Superman, The Dark Knight Returns, Batman: The Killing Joke, Watchmen, Kingdom Come, etc), and that doesn't make them any less good. And the same could be said for lots of my favorite Marvel stories too (Squadron Supreme, The Ultimates, Cage, etc), so I don't think continuity is or should be important anyway.

Basically, if Marvel wants to make stories with characters I like, the only thing that's really important to me is if the stories are good, and that has absolutely nothing to do with continuity.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I won't be a big fan of it because the characters I care about might be ruined and I just don't want to take that risk but on the other hand things currently are looking really bad for most Marvel books and characters and a change is needed.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@tdk_1997 said:

I won't be a big fan of it because the characters I care about might be ruined and I just don't want to take that risk but on the other hand things currently are looking really bad for most Marvel books and characters and a change is needed.

I agree that the current Marvel books are a bit too out of control with the number of books being put out, although I would be upset if my favorite characters' histories are changed.

dbatdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i would love it coz

1 - Cyclops won't be a bad guy

2 - Wolverine won't be running a school

3 - Professor X will be still alive

4 - I really don't read any Avengers book so it would be a good jumping point if marvel reboot the...but I doubt if I'll be ready them anyway

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not a reboot fan but I would make some serious changes...including management.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not a reboot fan but I would make some serious changes...including management.

I definitely would try that also!

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By THORSON

they probably wouldn't do solo movies again...that lead up to the avengers

Avatar image for youmessinwithme
    youmessinwithme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would not be excited if this went down I was not excited when DC said they were doing it and I wasn't impressed with the result. however i still gave it a chance and I would still keep reading.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#29  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Depends on how they do it. If it's anything like DC's reboot I would be pissed. If you're going to start over...ACTUALLY do that!

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on how they do it. If it's anything like DC's reboot I would be pissed. If you're going to start over...ACTUALLY do that!

That's what I want Marvel to do if they decided to do a reboot.

Avatar image for homicidalmaniac
    homicidalmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Avatar image for hillbillymorangie
    HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your looking at it the wrong way, I don't see them rebooting, but I can see them collapsing their multiverse and having a single definitive universe, help people know which spider man is real if nothing else... I'm all for it, get the fantastic four involved, have a big issue showing marvel through the ages. Some characters may get new origins in the process but what's the harm in that, it has happened a lot in the last 70 years sometimes change is good... Well I say that now, ask me again when I've read the next indestructible hulk ;) I might come back fuming

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IDK. I like Marvel's continuity. But should they decide to reboot then I think I would still give them the benefit of the doubt that it'll work-out.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.