Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

How do you feel about the journey of Marvel?

LimeyPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LimeyPotato

Hello there,

I am a third year Graphic Designer and I am doing a milestones project on Marvel. At the moment, I have content consisting of a basic timeline, and how the comics have effected situations and events in the world and visa versa. I have written tiny snippets about artists and writers and the exchange of ownership. What my content is lacking is a more personal touch.

I have come to ask the fans of Marvel to provide that personal touch. What was your first Marvel Comic? How do the books make you feel? Do you relate to any of the superheros? how do you feel about the ownership of superheros and marvels contracts? what are your experiences? How did you response to the films?

I don't need these questions answered specifically, what I am looking for is the fan experience. I myself got into comics pretty late in my life. and started with Graphic Novels, cartoons and I have grown ever more fond of it since the films came out. As a designer, I am to communicate the milestones of my chosen subject, and rather than just provide any old timeline, it would be nice if it was filled with fan experiences along side it. After all, if the fans didn't read or watch the comics or films, where would it be?

I will be using user names and not real names for quotes, with your permissions of course. Any help and input would really bring this document out of black and white.

Thanks, LimeyPotato.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

@limeypotato: Hiya! First off let me tell you that this project sounds very cool!

My first Marvel comic was Fantastic Four #1 (November 1961) that I read as reprint that came with a Thing action figure that Christmas when I was in the first grade. I remember loving the art in the comic, specifically of the Thing and being proud to show it off to my grandpa who collected the original Stan Lee and Jack Kirby run growing up. This also led to me wanting Fantastic Four everything from backpacks to sandwhich boxes.

Of the Marvel superheroes I feel like I relate to the Thing, Human Torch, Daredevil, and maybe even early (like the 60's) Hulk. Not really sure why though at times I just kinda feel like I am like them in a way. The Thing and the Hulk being monsters and outcast. The Human Torch being the witty member of the team/family. And I'm not really sure about Daredevil. I just feel like I relate to him.

With the contracts I feel like the creators of the characters should get at least a mention of there characters. Really for me, cuz I've been reading a lot about it recently too. I feel bad for the creators not owning the rights for characters that have become huge though at the same time they also knew what they signed for. I do think that the creators of characters should get mentioned every issue or the writer/artist have respect for these characters. While the company is giving them these characters to play with these characters have also being creations of someone else. As a creator myself (I write and draw my own comics. None or published though I hope to get them published) I know that when creating these characters there is parts of you going into them and I think writers and artists of modern comics should respect it. I think some do though at the same time these characters feel like they are only there to boost sales or something. Really my views have been conflicted really. I don't really know how I feel aside from the fact that I think the creators should be mentioned.

On the topic of the films. Honestly I have not seen a lot of them. I do love the Daredevil movie. Like that movie is literally one of my favorites! The Fantastic Four I found fun and I found Captain America interesting. Amazing Spider-man was okay. It was cool though never really left a huge impression.

Again cool project! Can't wait to see or hear how it goes!

LimeyPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crazyscarecrow Hey, thanks a lot for your response! So far the project is a little on the tenuous side due to being more factual, but since I have been gathering content from fans, it's gotten a lot better! Personal notes such as these bring content out so much better. DareDevil is defiantly very cool, not so sure about Ben Affleck though :P Don't suppose you have any pictures of your merch?

LimeyPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey guys, I know it's a heathen crime to reply to your own reply but I could really do with some more content. Your replies will be very much appreciated please and thank you :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.