Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

How do I jump aboard?

HeartBreakKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HeartBreakKid

I started reading comics when I was thirteen, and that was four years ago. I started with Spider-Man (he was my childhood hero), and when I jumped in "Back in Black" was about to end, so I finished that. OMD got me irked, and that's when DC caught my eye.... 

...I started with Batman (and right in the middle of Batman R.I.P. nonetheless, which was horrible timing) and tried to understand what was going on all by myself. It was a hard process, but in my mind it was well worth it. I soon grew to be a resident of the DC Universe, and I became a part of Battle for the Cowl, Blackest Night, The Return of Bruce Wayne, Batman Inc. and Brightest Day (was never interested in any New Krypton stuff or Flashpoint). 

The only Marvel books I buy right now are Spidey stand-alone TPBs, and the last monthly Marvel issues I bought were Marvel Apes.  

All this time, I was solely focused on DC and never realizing that another universe was on the other side of the comic store. With DC about to reboot/revamp/relaunch/re-(insert any term here), and with that being the perfect time for non-fans to jump in. I plan on expanding the titles I read as I mature, so how can I jump aboard the Marvel wagon? Help from Marvelites will be very much appreciated. :)
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

A lot of Marvel titles are currently (or about to) relaunching. So The Mighty Thor, Ghost Rider, Alpha Flight are all still brand new. Daredevil, Captain America, Uncanny X-Men & Wolverine and the X-Men are about to start within the next few months. They might make good jumping on points.

g33ky monk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By g33ky monk3y
    @HeartBreakKid
    Marvel started the point 1 numbering, like Avengers #12.1 to help new readers. If you see a .1 in the numbering, it is a jumping on issue that sort of takes place in between stories. It acts like a refresher., brings you up to speed on important info. Some people don't like it so much, but I think that's fans that are already reading. Like XK said, a few characters have restarted lately, making it easier for new readers to jump on and get back issues if need be. 

Marvel has been pretty good about getting trades out soon after a popular story arc has wrapped, so it shouldn't be too hard to pick up them up.
    HeartBreakKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HeartBreakKid

Is it a good idea to pick up "The Death of Spider-Man"? For how many issues does that run? For those who read both the mainstream and Ultimate universes, is it hard to keep up with continuties of both of them?
    SteveRodgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SteveRodgers

being a fan all my life, i would have to tell you to start with the older issues of stuff like punisher, moon knight, Iron man, and especially captain America. find the old stuff, those are the classics that got me into marvel.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.