Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Having a hard time getting into Marvel NOW!

Projector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Projector

I've been having a hard time getting into Marvel NOW! and really reading any 616 Marvel AvX onwards. Mainly cause I just got into comics 1.5 years ago and I'm something of a completionist when it comes to reading arcs and such. That being said I really want to read the big events that have made Marvel so popular in the past 10-15 years or so. I want to read "modern Marvel" to get caught up on the long brewing tension that brough on AvX and kinda go from there. So basically that's what I need help with. Picking a starting place and getting an idea of what order to read it in.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Saren

@projector said:

I've been having a hard time getting into Marvel NOW! and really reading any 616 Marvel AvX onwards. Mainly cause I just got into comics 1.5 years ago and I'm something of a completionist when it comes to reading arcs and such. That being said I really want to read the big events that have made Marvel so popular in the past 10-15 years or so. I want to read "modern Marvel" to get caught up on the long brewing tension that brough on AvX and kinda go from there. So basically that's what I need help with. Picking a starting place and getting an idea of what order to read it in.

Anyone got any suggestions?

In terms of the tension that brought on AvX......there's a lot of reading to do. In order:

1. Avengers Disassembled ---- The beginning of the Scarlet Witch's mental breakdown.

2. House of M --- Scarlet Witch snaps, recreates reality, wipes out the mutant gene and makes mutants an endangered and slowly dying species.

3. Decimation: House of M: The Day After/Generation M/X-Men: The 198/X-Men: Endangered Species ----- optional stories you could check out to get a feel as to the scope and severity of what Wanda did to the mutant race.

4. Messiah CompleX ---- Birth of Hope Summers, first mutant to be born after the Decimation.

5. Cable volume 2. ---- Hope growing up with Nathan Summers in the future. Not terribly important unless you really like Hope or Cable.

6. Second Coming ---- Hope and Cable return from the future. Emergence of the Five Lights.

7. Uncanny X-Men #526-530 ---- Hope tracks down the Five Lights. Unimportant.

8. Generation Hope ----- Hope's adventures with the Five Lights. Also not terribly important.

9. Avengers: The Children's Crusade ---- The Scarlet Witch returns.

9. Schism + Regenesis ----- X-Men split into two sides, one led by Cyclops and the other by Wolverine.

10. Avengers: X-Sanction --- Hope's relationship with the Phoenix Force underlined.

11. Avengers vs X-Men.

For other major Marvel events, read Civil War, World War Hulk, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign and Siege in that order.

JimTheSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

What @citizenbane said. It's pretty much all you'll need to read.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.