Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Good Marvel Starting Point?

GaMeBoY439

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GaMeBoY439

Hey Guys,

I'm new to comics and I'm primarily wondering if Marvel has any universe-spanning events that change the face of everything, like DC has with their "Crises" (Crisis on Infinite Earths, Infinite Crisis, etc etc). I know Marvel obviously has big crossover events like Civil War or Fear Itself, but I'm wondering if there are any that have changes such as universe -> multiverse (like DC) or anything else that'll tell you what the "state of Marvel" is so to speak.

If not, I'm planning on starting off with Spider-Man (he's my favorite super hero :-D lol) and I'm gonna pick up at Amazing Spider-man #546, so from Brand New Day onward. I figure it gives me a nice chunk of reading to catch up with, lol. Although I know there a ton of other Spider titles too right? There's the ultimate universe stuff, Avenging Spiderman, etc etc. So some advice on how to go about those would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Best,

GB

fojtikbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By fojtikbt

You should look at reading Ultimate Spider-Man. It's a really good series that retells Peter Parker's origin in a more modern and realistic world. Marvel NOW! would be a great jumoing on point for new readers. It's not a reboot or a relaunch, but it is supposed to be a good starting point.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.