Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Good Marvel NOW! comics for a beginner

Krypton-115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Krypton-115

Hey guys,
    I've been wondering what some of the good TP volumes are for a ready who's just starting out with reading comics. I've heard some great things about All New X-Men and Avengers, but i'm worried that I won't get some of the plot-points, as well as some of the characters.

Krypton-115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Krypton-115

NOTE: I haven't really been keeping track of all the things that have happenend in Marvel's continuity, but I am aware of at least the existence of Avengers VS. X-Men.

powerplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor: God of thunder is a pretty good starting point. The first two arcs are one big story which is free of the complicated inner workings of Asguard which often make Thor stories a bit complicated. Also Gorr the God Butcher is one of the most epic things you will ever see.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Thor: God of thunder is a pretty good starting point. The first two arcs are one big story which is free of the complicated inner workings of Asguard which often make Thor stories a bit complicated. Also Gorr the God Butcher is one of the most epic things you will ever see.

Agreed.

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

Thor's a good one. I also recommend Scarlet Spider and Captain Marvel.

Stefano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hawkeye and thor god of thunder

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krypton-115: Are there any specific characters that you're interested in?

fubar20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By fubar20

I've always gravitated towards Avenger titles and I'm starting to branch out but the Marvel Now Avengers title was a little confusing for me at first. I had to re-read a few things to understand but that's also because I like to have a good understanding of what's going on before I move forward. It is a good read, although if you like action-y type books, the new Punisher is awesome! It's easy to understand and keeps you're attention.

Superior Spider-man is winner for me because I actually liked the change to SpOck. If there's something you don't understand, it's pretty easy to use context clues to fill the gaps of knowledge.

As for X-men titles, I liked Cable and X-force and All-New X-men too!

cr4zytr4in

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@krypton-115 I was just wondering if you started reading some Marvel Now already and which titles did you try? Thor God of thunder has a really cool story and Uncanny Avengers is pretty self contained as well.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You've read A vs X?

If so go straight to All New X-men. it's pretty awesome and a great start for people to read X-men.

Otherwise read Superior Spider-Man and Thor GOT just cause they're good and are some comics that can really help you figure out "what's going on" ya know.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

• Hawkeye
    • Superior Foes of Spider-Man
    • Daredevil
    • X-Men Legacy (Legion is awesome!)

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Erkan12

Read Indestructible Hulk.

GhostRider88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By GhostRider88

I think Ms. Marvel vol.3 is a good series for a beginner because even though it's vol.3, you don't really need to know much about the prior volumes because it's a total new character playing as Ms. Marvel. although i would read up on her anyway from Wikipedia or something, she's basically an awesome butt-kicking super-heroine named Carol Danvers who now goes by the name Captain Marvel. The new Ms. Marvel's name is Kamala Khan, Pakistan girl from Jersey City. And it's Marvel Now.

P.S. about your 2nd post, just wanted to say there is a newer series since "A-vs-X", called A+X. It's pretty good, i've read the first 7 issues, each issue has 2 stories that include 1 Avenger and 1 X-Man teamed up to work together and for the most part, the artwork is great too but it varies. Wish they used the same artist because it actually varies a lot, some good, some bad and some that are just like 3-D looking.

GhostRider88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Forgot to mention though that Ms. Marvel just started. If you're looking for a Marvel NOW series thats been out for awhile, All New X-men would be good.

ColoredLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain America

Indestructible Hulk

The Punisher

Guardians of the Galaxy

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.