Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Getting in to Marvel- where to start?

Avatar image for theselfproclaimednerd
    theselfproclaimednerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Hey all 
    I'm a DC guy. Always have been. I have nothing against Marvel, I just so happened to grow up watching Batman&Superman TAS instead of X-men and Spiderman.  
    I started reading comics about 2 years ago. I started slowly. First elseworlds, then TPBs of in continuity stuff. Now I'm caught up, and I've been following DC's regular lineup since the beginning of this year. 

Because I'm now waiting in between issues instead of reading whole arcs at once, I need some more reading material! So I thought..... maybe I should try something from that other company! 

I've tried a couple of different launching points into the MU, but I never seem to stick with it. I'm looking for that one story where at the end I'm just like "OH $#!T!!!! There's so much awesome happening at once here! Must find MORE!!!!!" 
    Say what you will about Infinite Crisis, but it was EPIC. It was one of the first books that I read. I was just like "OH $H!T!!!! Batman has a satellite that kills people, Wonder Woman is a BAMF, Superman and an older version of Superman from another dimension just tackled a younger, more powerful version of Superman from a third alternate dimension THROUGH A FRACKIN SUN!!! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats, living together- MASS HYSTERIA!!" 
     I need a Marvel book like THAT in order to keep my hyperactive mind stimulated long enough to actually generate an interest! 

I've read Infinity Gauntlet, which was awesome, but I didn't know where to go from there, 
    I've read Civil War, which was okay, 
    and I've read JMS' first arc on Thor, which I lost interest in before even finishing. It's pretty uncommon for me to actually not finish a book, so I was pretty thrown off by this one.  
    I'm busy with Ed Brubaker's fist arc on Captain America right now. It seems okay so far, but I'm only 2 issues in. 

Edgeworth_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Edgeworth_11

X-men fear itself and X-men Schism.

harleyquinn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 21

#3  Edited By harleyquinn12
    @Edgeworth_11
    X-Men: Schism would be a great place to start.  

Heroes for Hire is another good choice for just tiptoeing into Marvel. The first 8 issues aren't really tied into anything else. If you want to learn about Marvel mythology and the start of some of these characters, pick up the Essentials trades.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By InnerVenom123

Amazing Spider-man #666 
    Venom #5 
    Uncanny X-force #11 (and then get #12) 
    Ghost Rider #1 

Then proper trade paperbacks if you wanna learn more.

tim2081

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By tim2081

It sounds like you might like some of the cosmic events: 
    Annihilation
    War of Kings  
    Thanos Imperative 
    Annihilators 

Those will get you caught up on the Marvel cosmic events, which have nothing to do with Marvel Earth.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.