Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Getting back into comics with Marvel NOW!

calejr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only skimmed over it but not bad at all, any incorrect data can be overlooked as it's from a outsiders perspective.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

@calejr: nicely done. I enjoy All New X-Men too. and I pretty expected you to like Hawkeye.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

If you’re a girl or have seen some movies but never read anything? Maybe. DEFINITELY READ HAWKEYE. Every self-respecting hipster needs to own this book and display it proudly on their shelves.

What is it about Hawkeye that makes it particularly good for girls?

chem86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

If you’re a girl or have seen some movies but never read anything? Maybe. DEFINITELY READ HAWKEYE. Every self-respecting hipster needs to own this book and display it proudly on their shelves.

What is it about Hawkeye that makes it particularly good for girls?

Both Hawkeye and Waid's Hulk are very well written, probably the best marvel NOW titles our there.

calejr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: Well, I was sort of joking there - implying that the average female reading the article would not have read comics in the 90s. Obviously there are plenty more female readers these days. Without getting into some big gender debate, I think Hawkeye would resonate more with non-comic fan female readers, than say, The New Avengers - it presents a bunch of strong female characters + a hearthrob bad boy lead with a heart of gold + a realistic take on relationships (for a comic book) - especially in Vol 2. It's a very likeable book, even if you don't really care about superheroes and punching (but also if you do).

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7 the_stegman  Moderator

I agree, Hawkeye is a fantastic book and very easy to jump in to even if you've never read a comic before. Also, it's very self contained, no continuing his adventures in another title, or crossovers, so it's less intimidating in that way too.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You may like Uncanny Avengers if you like the classic dysfunctional team.

calejr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spider11211: I didn't like Vol 1 at all, it was the first one I read and reviewed in the post. Issue #5 got a little better. Still, it wasn't as bad as Thunderbolts and the ret-conned Gambit (which will be in the next post). Ug.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Then you may not like it.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@calejr:

read Daredevil i swear you will love it superior isnt bad either and New avengers is a masterpiece

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By PeppeyHare

Don't really agree with Uncanny Avengers getting a 2 and A+X getting a 3 but that's your opinion. Cool to see people getting back into comics

calejr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideysense44: I've read Vol 1 of Superior Spider-Man and New Avengers, I'll review them in the next part. Superior is ok, the ghost of Peter is kinda annoying tho. I really like New Avengers so far. Is Daredevil part of Marvel Now?

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@calejr: Peter Parkers ghost isnt appearing anymore and his story(as in Daredevil) runs into marvel now so yea you could say tht

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

and mark waid(who also writes Indestructible hulk) won an award for the book previously so its pretti solid

Willsmith410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@calejr: you gonna do a part 2? The first part was great !

calejr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SoopaCoop16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By SoopaCoop16

No one sees that Marvel basically only did the whole reboot/relaunch thing because DC had done it like a year prior. All Marvel does is copy DC. Like the whole "A Death In The Family" Spider-Man arc is practically like the Killing Joke Batman arc. For example they both include the hero and villain sharing a laugh at the end and they both end up with the hero's friend/ally made paraplegic by the main villain as a way to get to someone emotionally and mentally. And Night Thrasher, the Shroud, and Moon Knight are all feeble attempts at Marvel to make a Batman-esque character. They also copied the Supreme Squadron off of the Justice League, Black Cat off of Catwoman, Hawkeye off of Green Arrow, Deadpool off of Deathstroke, and the newer Thunderbolts where criminals work for the government to redeem themselves off of the Suicide Squad. Now I'm sure there are other examples out there of Marvel being it's un-original copying self, but seriously it wouldn't kill them to be original for once and not copy off of the successful stuff of DC Comics!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.