Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Foo Fighters vs Marvel

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Martian

So anyone else hear that the Foo Fighters are sueing Marvel Comics for the use of their songs in the trailer for Wolverine and the X-Men.

http://www.youtube.com/v/on9GQ-j5qJU&rel=1 width=425 height=355 type=application/x-shockwave-flash wmode="transparent">

G-Man says:

"From Rollingstone.com: "It seems like a bad idea to pick a fight with Spider-Man, Wolverine and the rest of the Marvel Universe, but that’s exactly what Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters are doing, as the band is suing the comic book giant for copyright infringement. The band alleges that Marvel used “substantial excerpts” of their songs “Best of You” and “Free Me” as the music for the trailer of the new animated series Wolverine and the X-Men. You can watch the trailer here, and it’s pretty obvious that the Foos are used to soundtrack the cartoon’s preview. The series’ producers First Serve International, Toonz Animation India and First Serve Toonz were also named on the lawsuit, with the Foos’ seeking unspecified damages. We’re guessing the Foo Fighters just blew their chances of being on the soundtrack to The Punisher 2." "

Post Edited:2008-02-23 18:35:46
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By The_Martian

I heard them annouce it on Attack of the Show the other day. I can't seem to find it online though.

Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Sparda

I had no idea that this was happening at all.

The Foo Fighters are a great band, but I imagine that this will drop people's opinions of them down a bit.

Cryo-Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Cryo-Wolf

Holy Drap....was that Thomas Jane as Wolverine!?

zee crusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By zee crusher

wow.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Martian

My thoughts exactly. I mean how hard and how much could it have cost to just get their permission? I mean probably a whole lot less than its going to be costing them now.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#7  Edited By gmanfromheck

From Rollingstone.com:

"It seems like a bad idea to pick a fight with Spider-Man, Wolverine and the rest of the Marvel Universe, but that’s exactly what Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters are doing, as the band is suing the comic book giant for copyright infringement. The band alleges that Marvel used “substantial excerpts” of their songs “Best of You” and “Free Me” as the music for the trailer of the new animated series Wolverine and the X-Men. You can watch the trailer here, and it’s pretty obvious that the Foos are used to soundtrack the cartoon’s preview. The series’ producers First Serve International, Toonz Animation India and First Serve Toonz were also named on the lawsuit, with the Foos’ seeking unspecified damages. We’re guessing the Foo Fighters just blew their chances of being on the soundtrack to The Punisher 2."

Now I loooove Foo Fighters. They're definitely up there as one of my top fav bands. I was surprised and impressed that they were used in the video. What blows me away is that they were used without permission. That's what they're suing about. Who, in this day and age, doesn't know you need a band's permission to use their music? The fact that they're suing doesn't lower my opinion on them. They wrote the music, they should have a say in who uses it. I'm sure if they were asked, they wouldn't have had a problem. And I don't think Marvel would be hurting for the money. The advertising alone when the show airs will be quite a bit.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#8  Edited By gmanfromheck

Especially since all the lawsuits from the 80s with rap artists sampling music. People got sued over like a few seconds of their music. It was clearly obvious that they were using Foo music. You know someone is going to lose their job over this. Oooooor, it's just a way to get the cartoon mentioned in places like Rolling Stone. It's like free publicity for the cartoon. The cost of settling with the Foos could be the same as paying for advertising.

EganTheVile1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 52

#9  Edited By EganTheVile1

Heard about it on G4, Foo Fighters say they sampled from 2 songs, in what a thirty second ad? Isn't there a certain amount of time you can sample from a song without having to pay royalties or get permission to do anyway?

Chameleone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Chameleone

Grohl and his comrades are in the right on this :P

EganTheVile1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EganTheVile1

chameleone says:

"Grohl and his comrades are in the right on this :P"

Don't get me wrong it's not like Marvel is some small company that couldn't afford to get original music made for the ad, but still they didn't sample enough of the song to be legally in the wrong, though they really should have just had some original music made or asked permission at least.

EganTheVile1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EganTheVile1

Nobody says:

"So anyone else hear that the Foo Fighters are sueing Marvel Comics for the use of their songs in the trailer for Wolverine and the X-Men. http://www.youtube.com/v/on9GQ-j5qJU&rel=1 width=425 height=355 type=application/x-shockwave-flash wmode="transparent"> G-Man says:
    "From Rollingstone.com: "It seems like a bad idea to pick a fight with Spider-Man, Wolverine and the rest of the Marvel Universe, but that’s exactly what Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters are doing, as the band is suing the comic book giant for copyright infringement. The band alleges that Marvel used “substantial excerpts” of their songs “Best of You” and “Free Me” as the music for the trailer of the new animated series Wolverine and the X-Men. You can watch the trailer here, and it’s pretty obvious that the Foos are used to soundtrack the cartoon’s preview. The series’ producers First Serve International, Toonz Animation India and First Serve Toonz were also named on the lawsuit, with the Foos’ seeking unspecified damages. We’re guessing the Foo Fighters just blew their chances of being on the soundtrack to The Punisher 2." "

Post Edited:2008-02-23 18:35:46"

The videos been taken down... gee I wonder why

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Eternal Chaos

Foo Fighters are Skrulls.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Martian

eganthevile1 says:

"chameleone says:
    "Grohl and his comrades are in the right on this :P"
    Don't get me wrong it's not like Marvel is some small company that couldn't afford to get original music made for the ad, but still they didn't sample enough of the song to be legally in the wrong, though they really should have just had some original music made or asked permission at least."
    It was about 3 mintues long and they used each song longer than 30 seconds.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.