Foo Fighters vs Marvel

#1 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

So anyone else hear that the Foo Fighters are sueing Marvel Comics for the use of their songs in the trailer for Wolverine and the X-Men.

http://www.youtube.com/v/on9GQ-j5qJU&rel=1 width=425 height=355 type=application/x-shockwave-flash wmode="transparent">

G-Man says:

"From Rollingstone.com: "It seems like a bad idea to pick a fight with Spider-Man, Wolverine and the rest of the Marvel Universe, but that’s exactly what Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters are doing, as the band is suing the comic book giant for copyright infringement. The band alleges that Marvel used “substantial excerpts” of their songs “Best of You” and “Free Me” as the music for the trailer of the new animated series Wolverine and the X-Men. You can watch the trailer here, and it’s pretty obvious that the Foos are used to soundtrack the cartoon’s preview. The series’ producers First Serve International, Toonz Animation India and First Serve Toonz were also named on the lawsuit, with the Foos’ seeking unspecified damages. We’re guessing the Foo Fighters just blew their chances of being on the soundtrack to The Punisher 2." "

Post Edited:2008-02-23 18:35:46
#2 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard them annouce it on Attack of the Show the other day. I can't seem to find it online though.

#3 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

I had no idea that this was happening at all.

The Foo Fighters are a great band, but I imagine that this will drop people's opinions of them down a bit.

#4 Posted by Cryo-Wolf (12662 posts) - - Show Bio

Holy Drap....was that Thomas Jane as Wolverine!?

#5 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

wow.

#6 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

My thoughts exactly. I mean how hard and how much could it have cost to just get their permission? I mean probably a whole lot less than its going to be costing them now.

#7 Posted by G-Man (34037 posts) - - Show Bio

From Rollingstone.com:

"It seems like a bad idea to pick a fight with Spider-Man, Wolverine and the rest of the Marvel Universe, but that’s exactly what Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters are doing, as the band is suing the comic book giant for copyright infringement. The band alleges that Marvel used “substantial excerpts” of their songs “Best of You” and “Free Me” as the music for the trailer of the new animated series Wolverine and the X-Men. You can watch the trailer here, and it’s pretty obvious that the Foos are used to soundtrack the cartoon’s preview. The series’ producers First Serve International, Toonz Animation India and First Serve Toonz were also named on the lawsuit, with the Foos’ seeking unspecified damages. We’re guessing the Foo Fighters just blew their chances of being on the soundtrack to The Punisher 2."

Now I loooove Foo Fighters. They're definitely up there as one of my top fav bands. I was surprised and impressed that they were used in the video. What blows me away is that they were used without permission. That's what they're suing about. Who, in this day and age, doesn't know you need a band's permission to use their music? The fact that they're suing doesn't lower my opinion on them. They wrote the music, they should have a say in who uses it. I'm sure if they were asked, they wouldn't have had a problem. And I don't think Marvel would be hurting for the money. The advertising alone when the show airs will be quite a bit.

Staff
#8 Posted by G-Man (34037 posts) - - Show Bio

Especially since all the lawsuits from the 80s with rap artists sampling music. People got sued over like a few seconds of their music. It was clearly obvious that they were using Foo music. You know someone is going to lose their job over this. Oooooor, it's just a way to get the cartoon mentioned in places like Rolling Stone. It's like free publicity for the cartoon. The cost of settling with the Foos could be the same as paying for advertising.

Staff
#9 Posted by EganTheVile1 (6199 posts) - - Show Bio

Heard about it on G4, Foo Fighters say they sampled from 2 songs, in what a thirty second ad? Isn't there a certain amount of time you can sample from a song without having to pay royalties or get permission to do anyway?

#10 Posted by Chameleone (8710 posts) - - Show Bio

Grohl and his comrades are in the right on this :P

#11 Posted by EganTheVile1 (6199 posts) - - Show Bio

chameleone says:

"Grohl and his comrades are in the right on this :P"

Don't get me wrong it's not like Marvel is some small company that couldn't afford to get original music made for the ad, but still they didn't sample enough of the song to be legally in the wrong, though they really should have just had some original music made or asked permission at least.

#12 Posted by EganTheVile1 (6199 posts) - - Show Bio

Nobody says:

"So anyone else hear that the Foo Fighters are sueing Marvel Comics for the use of their songs in the trailer for Wolverine and the X-Men. http://www.youtube.com/v/on9GQ-j5qJU&rel=1 width=425 height=355 type=application/x-shockwave-flash wmode="transparent"> G-Man says:
"From Rollingstone.com: "It seems like a bad idea to pick a fight with Spider-Man, Wolverine and the rest of the Marvel Universe, but that’s exactly what Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters are doing, as the band is suing the comic book giant for copyright infringement. The band alleges that Marvel used “substantial excerpts” of their songs “Best of You” and “Free Me” as the music for the trailer of the new animated series Wolverine and the X-Men. You can watch the trailer here, and it’s pretty obvious that the Foos are used to soundtrack the cartoon’s preview. The series’ producers First Serve International, Toonz Animation India and First Serve Toonz were also named on the lawsuit, with the Foos’ seeking unspecified damages. We’re guessing the Foo Fighters just blew their chances of being on the soundtrack to The Punisher 2." "

Post Edited:2008-02-23 18:35:46"

The videos been taken down... gee I wonder why

#13 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

Foo Fighters are Skrulls.

#14 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

eganthevile1 says:

"chameleone says:
"Grohl and his comrades are in the right on this :P"
Don't get me wrong it's not like Marvel is some small company that couldn't afford to get original music made for the ad, but still they didn't sample enough of the song to be legally in the wrong, though they really should have just had some original music made or asked permission at least."
It was about 3 mintues long and they used each song longer than 30 seconds.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.