Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

First Impressions: Disney Infinity 2.0 Marvel Super Heroes

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Disney Infinity 2.0 Marvel Super Heroes is out and it’s super easy to get sucked in. Similar to the first Disney Infinity, you have the ability to play as different characters depending on which figure you place on the game pad. There are some limits on the game levels as only certain characters are usable on them (we’ll get into that more in just a bit). The next installment does more than just include Marvel characters now. It’s clear that the gameplay and design has been amped up as well. (You can see pics of all the figures HERE).

No Caption Provided

The first thing you may get into is the Toy Box area. This is a hub of sorts where you are allowed to use any characters you want. There is a building element that allows you to create different environments and areas to roam around. Using a split screen option, you can even play with another person. This allows for some pretty crazy team-ups and you can even use the Disney Infinity 1.0 figures. Let me tell you, seeing Spider-Man and Elsa (from Frozen) together was a little strange but incredibly cool.

No Caption Provided

It should be mentioned that you need to buy each character separately, or in two-packs. You place the figure on the gamepad and they are transported into the game. It adds a slight bit of collectibility but it also means you have to buy more figures. They are not essential but you'll want to play with the different ones in different areas, especially if you're a fan.

I’ve been playing with my eleven-year-old daughter. She’s played the first game as well as others like Skylanders and some Minecraft. Usually content to simply watch me play, her desire to get into the gameplay has increased exponentially. As a comic book fan, it's fantastic having these characters at your disposal--after you buy them of course.

As you play through with different characters, you have the ability to level them up. This is one area that's different from the first game. There's a branching skill tree. As you earn points, you can select different power sets and abilities. You have to make the decision to power up one particular character or spread the points amongst different ones.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Once my daughter and I got out of the toy box area, we focused on the Spider-Man levels. I have to admit, Sam Alexander, Nova, is my favorite. It might be a slight cheat but being able to fly is incredibly awesome and extremely useful in many areas. There will be some points in the game that are your typical platformer/jumping levels. That's where Sam is great. You can just fly or hover where you need to go.

Spider-Man was the character my daughter went with. Roaming the city is a blast. You can obviously crawl on the buildings. Webswinging is pretty intuitive. We've seen a lot of Spider-Man games and sometimes the physics can get a little tricky. You just swing and point in the direction you're trying to go. You don't have to worry about where the webbing is actually going.

Venom is similar to Spidey. It's a little weird using him though. Iron Fist is a crazy beast of a fighter. His fighting skills are something to see. Nick Fury is also part of the Spider-Man levels (because of the animated series). He uses hand to hand combat and has a gun. You can power him up later to shoot two at the same time.

When you die in a game, you either have to wait for your partner to come and revive you or you can swap in a different hero. This is where it pays to have other figures ready to jump into the action. The Spidey level starts with Norman Osborn/Green Goblin cloning the Venom symbiote. This means you'll be fighting lots of them. The first actual level is pretty straight forward but it awesomely involves Mysterio. You'll be going through an Inception-type level that's a little trippy.

The difficulty isn't super-hard. There may be some challenging moments but nothing that will make you want to throw your controller. I mentioned playing with my daughter. That really enhanced the experience for us. You can go together on levels or split up to take on the threats. While in the city, there are character tokens among other things you can find. So far I've come across some Iron Man and Hulk ones. If you collect them all, or enough, you'll unlock those characters in the Spider-Man levels.

For characters that can't fly around the city, eventually you can unlock a S.H.I.E.L.D. hover car you can summon. Controlling the car can be a little difficult. There is on part you have to drive and pursue a suspect. It's easier to just fly after them. You may knock down some light posts or traffic lights but it's okay.

No Caption Provided

Power discs are another part of the game. Again, not essential. You can buy a blind two-pack for five dollars. They allow you to have special power moves, alternate costumes, vehicles, character team-ups, or for use in the toy box. It's another way to add a little more variety to your gameplay.

This is, obviously, not a complete review. I highly recommend it. It might not be for everyone but I'm ready to go back for more. We were immersed for four hours straight before we were told we had to stop to eat dinner last weekend. We will have more coverage and share our thoughts on the other levels. The Avengers level is out (and included) and the Guardians of the Galaxy wave is due in November. Let us know if you plan on getting this, if you haven't already, and if you want us to go more in depth on the actual figures and their gameplay.

dotwilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dotwilson

Nice write up, totally interested... just not sure if this is for me, might be to kiddie, id like to play it somewhere before investing in it

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By meatwadf

I can attest to how sweet the game is. My little girl (7), is addicted to this already, and is quickly catching up to Minecraft in terms of her favorite game.

I would like to point out that another option to recover from dying is to simply go back to a checkpoint.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dotwilson: I kinda felt that way too. I didn't fully get into Infinity 1.0. But it's great playing at these characters in a more relaxed game. You don't have to get hung up on every little detail or technical aspect. It's a game you can just enjoy and get sucked into.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatwadf: My daughter wasn't much of a gamer. She reads a lot and likes to be outside. But she got hooked to this. At first she just wanted to stay in the toy box. Four hours later she's telling mom, "We're saving the city. The level's not over yet."

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

Spidey looks awesome.

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: Hah Awesome. Mine has been obsessed with Minecraft for awhile, but that was about it. Now she has me promising not to play any of the Avengers playset unless she's at home to play with me. She loves the toy box too, and is working with me to build a monster fighting coliseum.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

Waiting go Amazon to restock the freaking Value pack so I can order this. I hate it when everyone gets to play before me......

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: Look at it this way. By the time you do have it, there'll be lots of new sweet user generated content out there for you to download!

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very much looking forward to trying this game out.

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Play this game with my wife. She loves it more than I do, lol.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know this game isn't for me, I watched some game play videos, but i do see the appeal, and appreciate the idea of it. It is perfect for younger gamers.

I really do want that nova figure though *sigh* I was willing to buy the single figure except it doesn't exist! id have to buy the two pack for 40 bucks lol.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatwadf: yes. I'll try to survive until then.

Krypton-115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In all honesty, this game looks awesome, and so do the figurines. But the only thing that's keeping me from buying the game, besides the pricing, is that this game might just be a little too kiddy. Thoughts?

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

If Winter Soldier were playable, I'd probably be more inclined to buy it. Still looks like a fun game though.

WheatStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played as Cap for a few minutes on Tuesday, after the SHIELD premiere. Like I mean only fifteen minutes, not enough time to finish the opening map. When I quit, it didn't save the game so there must be checkpoints. I'll start again as Black Widow, because Natasha. Kind of excited to try out the Toybox, too.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#16  Edited By Teerack

Once I get a Wii U which will be when they have a smash bros bundle this will be my first purchase.

They are going to keep adding more and more right? The only character I could see myself playing as a lot right now is Iron First. If they added Daredevil and Moon Knight I'd love it. Seeing Fury with a normal gun makes me hopeful they will add the Punisher. He is often left out of video games.

What I think would be really cool for this game would be if they had an "All Winners Squad Play Set"

• Squirrel Girl
    • Frog Man
    • Howard the Duck
    • Paste Pot Pete
    • Stilts Man

I'd love that haha.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: I wouldn't get my hopes up. They seem to only be using characters who play a big role in their movies and cartoons. I've course that could just be for the launch and I'm just being negative.

Avatar image for the_greatest_username
    The_Greatest_Username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every time I see this game in stores or online, I'm pretty tempted to buy it. It looks like a lot of fun, I do wish they had added a few more playable female superheroes, though. Cloak and Dagger seem like a fun possibility since they showed up in Ultimate Spider-Man. They could probably add Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, and Vision somewhere down the road with Avengers 2 coming out. Maybe in another wave?

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In all honesty, this game looks awesome, and so do the figurines. But the only thing that's keeping me from buying the game, besides the pricing, is that this game might just be a little too kiddy. Thoughts?

I'm finding it a bit "kiddy" you can increase the combat difficulty- which I haven't tried for my first playthrough. But its definitely on the kid friendly side of the gaming spectrum.

Have to admit the Guardians of the Galaxy playset is definitely the best of the bunch. Totally recommend getting that one!

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#20  Edited By Teerack
    @avenging_x_bolt said:

@teerack: I wouldn't get my hopes up. They seem to only be using characters who play a big role in their movies and cartoons. I've course that could just be for the launch and I'm just being negative.

I doubt they would do an all winners squad but Daredevil has a TV show coming out and some other street levelers, so i don't think it would be crazy to think Moon Knight and Punisher could become relevant.

I'm willing to bet the next play set will be an X-Men set with Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, Cyclops, Magneto, and one other. Or possibly a Fantastic Four set with Mr. Fantastic, Thing, Invisible Woman, Human Touch, She-hulk, Ant-Man(Scott Lang), and Doctor Doom.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: I hope youre right. I could go for either of those.

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Really nice write up, still the price is the thing that prevents me from getting this.

Numbuh1Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm definitely more interested in the game now that we're getting the Marvel characters. I'm tempted to get it now, honestly. I'm just afraid it's gonna turn out like Skylanders where they just endlessly make dumb sequels that make the older ones irrelevant. Basically, if I have to shell out another $80 to play as Boba Fett or Kermit the Frog I'm jumping off the hype train.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Meh. The game looks okay but I'm not a fan of how I have to keep on buying characters just to enjoy the game, and the game doesn't seem THAT impressive anyway, it looks a bit kiddy as well (I don't mind kiddy games too much, but this game looks hella easy) and it looks like a nerfed up version of Lego Marvel (Which was awesome, btw)

I'm kinda leaning on passing this game, but I'm not so sure if I should drop it yet or hang on and see if it gets better. I'll probably hang on just a little longer.

Avatar image for thebattlecalculatot
    TheBattleCalculatot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm definitely interested, but since when does 2 little "power discs" cost 5 dollars?

DeathHero61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.