Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Fantastic Four Cancelled?!

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
    AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

From CBR

On Thursday, Bleeding Cool published a report citing "a Marvel source" that Marvel plans to put current ongoing series"Fantastic Four" and "Ultimate FF" "on hold." The reason for this, according to the article, was that the "high echelons" of Marvel believed that continuing to promote the property would bolster 20th Century Fox's films -- Fox has long held the live-action license to both Fantastic Four and the X-Men -- at the expense of Marvel Studios, owned and operated by Marvel's parent company, Disney.

CBR cannot confirm the exact future of "Fantastic Four" and "Ultimate FF," but has confirmed with multiple industry sources speaking on the condition of anonymity that a hiatus for the property is planned, at least as of recently. Plans can change, something that's potentially more likely now that the situation has been made public. The Fantastic Four characters are said to continue appearing in other Marvel titles, just not in a specifically branded "Fantastic Four" series.

RELATED: Fox Casts Its "Fantastic Four": Jordan, Bell, Mara & Teller

In a second report published on Friday, Bleeding Cool stated the initiative stems from Marvel CEO Ike Perlmutter. Additionally, Bleeding Cool published a purported instruction sheet distributed to sketch card artists working on a "Marvel 75th Anniversary" trading card set. The sheet listed the following characters as off-limits: the main Fantastic Four of Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman, The Thing and Human Torch; along with associated characters Doctor Doom, Galactus, Silver Surfer, The Watcher and Skrulls.

While Fox also controls the live-action rights to the X-Men -- the latest film in the studio's franchise, "X-Men: Days of Future Past,"opened last weekend to $111 million over four days -- Marvel continues to publish a large line of X-titles. The books are still strong sellers -- "All-New X-Men" appeared twice in the Top 20 for April, with "Uncanny X-Men," "Amazing X-Men," "X-Men" and "Wolverine and the X-Men" all in the Top 60 -- so it's possible continued success has spared the line from being specifically targeted. Bleeding Cool's initial report stated that the X-Men comics are "no longer the focus of internal promotion," unless it's in tandem with the Avengers, as in upcoming Marvel event "AXIS."

RELATED: Slott & Ramos' "Amazing Spider-Man" #1 Hits 500K Orders

Spider-Man is also not under Marvel Studios' purview, having long been a live-action Sony Pictures property. Spider-Man does not appear to be affected by these decisions -- just last month, the character starred in the highly touted "Amazing Spider-Man" relaunch, which received more than 500,000 estimated initial retailer orders -- something that's generally credited to a better relationship between Marvel and Sony than Marvel and Fox. Spider-Man also currently stars on the popular Disney XD animated series "Ultimate Spider-Man," produced in-house by Marvel.

The current "Fantastic Four" series launched this past February with a new #1, from the creative team ofJames Robinson and Leonard Kirk. The book debuted at No. 7 in Diamond's monthly estimated sales charts for February 2014, dropping to No. 44 in Marvel and No. 60 in April -- still placing it ahead of Marvel series including "Captain America," "Iron Man," "Avengers World," X-Force" and "All New Ghost Rider."

"Ultimate FF," set in Marvel's 14-year-old Ultimate Universe, debuted in April from the creative team ofJoshua Hale Fialkov and Mario Guevara. The series features only one classic Fantastic Four member in its main cast: Sue Storm/Invisible Woman, joined by Tony Stark (Iron Man), Sam Wilson (Falcon) and Machine Man. The first issue of the series ranked at No. 100 in Diamond's April 2014 chart.

The original "Fantastic Four" #1 by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby debuted in 1961, and is widely considered the start of the current, 50-plus year-old era of Marvel Comics and continuity. If Marvel ultimately ends up not publishing "Fantastic Four" for an extended period of time, history indicates the title's eventual return is nearly inevitable, most likely sooner rather than later. Marvel went nine months without a "Fantastic Four" title in 2011, while the "FF" series took its place. Fox's next "Fantastic Four" film is scheduled for release on June 19, 2015.

Marvel declined comment to CBR on this matter. On Tumblr, Marvel senior vice president of publishing Tom Brevoort responded to a fan inquiry on the issue, writing, "My denying rumors isn’t likely to keep anybody who’s prone to paranoia from panicking. But really, does this even seem remotely plausible to people? Does it make any sense? Folks have a very strange idea as to the way a business is run."

From Bleeding Cool

Apologies for giving BleedingCool an amount of credence even equal to the weight of a single electron, but please start my heart again and tell me that Marvel isn’t cancelling “Ultimate FF” and “Fantastic Four” to snub Fox or for any other reason.

It is amazing how many of you guys asked some version of this question this morning.

And I can hear Rich counting the nickels from your page clicks.

From Tom Brevoort‘s Tumblr there. And I would like to assure Tom that I am on a fixed salary.

So, yes. More. When I first heard the story, albeit from a Marvel source, I thought it was ridiculous.

That Marvel Comics were to cancel their Fantastic Four comics (though still using the characters in other titles) as a deliberate snub to Fox, currently producing the Fantastic Four movie. With the belief, from on high, that any publication of Fantastic Four comic books only helped Fox Studios at the expense of Marvel Studios. And while X-Men were just too popular comics to cancel, the Fantastic Four… wasn’t. So both comics would be dropped.

There was flimsy evidence to back it up. That the Marvel 75th Anniversary project had no Fantastic Four on the cover, despite being Marvel’s first superhero team, and the core of the modern Marvel comic. I was told that Fantastic Four imagery had been taken down at Marvel’s offices. And then certain very chatty people in the past suddenly clammed up when this was mentioned.

Well, this morning another shoe on the caterpillar dropped. An artist who I have been asked not to name, told me,

I do a number of sketch card projects for Upper Deck and Rittenhouse using Marvel characters. The most recent projects from both companies, one billed as Marvel 75th Anniversary, gave specific guidelines to NOT use any FF characters or supporting cast such as Dr Doom, Galactus, Surfer, Skrulls etc…

So… what do we think?

Another source close to Marvel tells me that this is all coming from Marvel CEO and largest Disney shareholderIke Perlmutter, who has been known to take these kind of things very personally indeed.

Also, it’s worth pointing out that Marvel has a very different relationship with Fox than it does with Sony.

UPDATE: From another artist, here comes the instruction sheet received by sketch card artists.

No Caption Provided

UPDATEx2:CBR have gone down the rabbit hole with us. More on Bleeding Cool tomorrow…

CBR cannot confirm the exact future of “Fantastic Four” and “Ultimate FF,” but has confirmed with multiple industry sources speaking on the condition of anonymity that a hiatus for the property is reportedly planned, at least as of recently. Plans can change, something that’s potentially more likely now that the situation has been made public. The Fantastic Four characters are said to continue appearing in other Marvel titles, just not in a specifically branded “Fantastic Four” series.

AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe marvel may cancel ff and fantastic four

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@amazingspiderman15: We already have a thread for this.

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/marvel-cancelling-ff-to-snub-fox-1568265/#71

AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@amazingspiderman15: We already have a thread for this.

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/marvel-cancelling-ff-to-snub-fox-1568265/#71

sorry i didn't know.

Heatvision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't make any sense for Marvel to cancel the Fantastic Four. It may not be a best seller, but it's not their worst seller.

Fantastic Four is pretty much the foundation of modern Marvel as we know it. Spiderman, Avengers, and Xmen. They all owe their existence to Fantastic Four #1 which created the Marvel universe and all those crossovers solidified that Marvel superheroes exist in the same universe.

Avatar image for howard_the-duck
    Howard_The-Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good, hopefully this means we can get the movie fans have been asking for years: A gritty Howard the Duck film directed by Christopher Nolan

AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't make any sense for Marvel to cancel the Fantastic Four. It may not be a best seller, but it's not their worst seller.

Fantastic Four is pretty much the foundation of modern Marvel as we know it. Spiderman, Avengers, and Xmen. They all owe their existence to Fantastic Four #1 which created the Marvel universe and all those crossovers solidified that Marvel superheroes exist in the same universe.

i think they are doing this to snub fox and get the ff movie righta back

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I hope not because no way in hell is this going to work

AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope not because no way in hell is this going to work

its already confirmed

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By iaconpoint

They prolly were, but since word has gotten out prolly not now. But maybe. The biggest douche in the universe Tom Breevroot keeps doing an end-around but won't actually say "no", so I'll bet it was/may still is on the table.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.