Does Marvel reinterpret origin stories?

#1 Posted by JulieDC (869 posts) - - Show Bio

What I mean are any of Marvel's heroes origin stories ever reimagined or updated for modern times? Kind of like all of the Superman origin stories?

I ask this because having seen The Avengers, I've been very curious about Captain America and find the idea of him being a man out of time very interesting. I'd like to know if there are any stories dealing with him having to adjust to being in a new time.

#2 Posted by SC (12675 posts) - - Show Bio

Usually only in a soft sense, never complete overhauls. Iron Man for example, his origin has changed a bit details wise. usually retellings are common. Or more details are expanded on. We have had like Avengers Origins, Avengers Season One, and a few other one shots, mini series, that revisit Avengers origin. I am not a big Captain America fan so don't know many stories that focus in depth on his adjustment to modern day living. There are bits and pieces in aforementioned stories.

#3 Posted by Pyrogram (34967 posts) - - Show Bio

I think people take inspiration or picks from other ideas and turn it into something new that will interest new readers. Thor...Thor's origins have maybe not been re-done but his younger self has been changed or talk about more often recently and that has gone a bit strange, nobody knows his age these days xD

#4 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@juliedc said:

What I mean are any of Marvel's heroes origin stories ever reimagined or updated for modern times? Kind of like all of the Superman origin stories?

I ask this because having seen The Avengers, I've been very curious about Captain America and find the idea of him being a man out of time very interesting. I'd like to know if there are any stories dealing with him having to adjust to being in a new time.

Captain America: Man out of Time!

I can't recommend this story enough. It's written by Mark Waid, and is basically a more in-depth retelling of Cap's early days with the Avengers and him adjusting to the 21st century. It's emotional and yet hopeful - a fantastic Cap story and Waid considers it one of his best.

#5 Posted by PunyParker (8929 posts) - - Show Bio

DONT TOUCH ME SPIDAH-MAN!!!
They already screwed him the f*ck up.....

#6 Posted by JulieDC (869 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@juliedc said:

Captain America: Man out of Time!

I can't recommend this story enough. It's written by Mark Waid, and is basically a more in-depth retelling of Cap's early days with the Avengers and him adjusting to the 21st century. It's emotional and yet hopeful - a fantastic Cap story and Waid considers it one of his best.

You just made me a very happy person. Thanks!!!

#7 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@juliedc

I knew it'd be perfect when I first read your post! Let me know what you think if you pick it up :)

#8 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

only very very small and unimportant details have modified over time. only to some heroes though.

#9 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6088 posts) - - Show Bio

They changed Spider-Womans origin story around a bit. There were some quite obvious changes, probably just to add some drama, but in the end, it ended up basically the same. Some of the changes I liked, some I didn't, but it's worth a read.

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32613 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea they do, for example in the 616 the Punisher is no longer a Vietnam vet he is now a vet of the Gulf War

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.