Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Disney's Buying Marvel!

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#401  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Korg said:
    " @inferiorego said:
    "I'm pretty sure everything that was said in this thread is going to happen. "
    That's not possible, and you know it! HE'S THE SANE ONE! GET HIM! "
    Where's my torch and pitchfork?
    Paragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#402  Edited By Paragon

"Face it, Tigger. You just hit the jackpot."

Hahahaha. Thanks to the Marvel writers/editors on Twitter for coming up with these.

But seriously, I think this is great for the company.

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 1

#403  Edited By DMC

I was inspired by the Secret Invasion adds, I could have done better

If you do then we'll see DEADPOOL ON ICE    (just kidding)
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#404  Edited By Korg
    @inferiorego said:
    "Where's my torch and pitchfork? "
    Don't worry, they're making their way towards you rather swiftly.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#405  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Korg said:
    " @inferiorego said:
    "Where's my torch and pitchfork? "
    Don't worry, they're making their way towards you rather swiftly. "
    WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP!
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@danhimself said:
    " @Dynoblaze said:
    " @Korg said:
    " @Dynoblaze said:
    " One thing Disney WILL do however is meddle in the movies. Thor? Gone. Captain America movie? Yeah right."
    Disney has already stated that they are not going to interfere in Marvel's current movie projects, so that's actually one thing that Disney WON'T do. "
    Depends on if Marvel has the money to fund those movies. If they ran out of money and have to ask Disney for money Disney may say "look, these guys just aren't that popular, we aren't going to fund something that appeals to a few fanboys." "
    Paramount is under contract with Marvel when it comes to movies....they aren't going to run out of money "
    funny i was just thinking about this. Paramount just entered into a partnership as of last month with Disney.
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#407  Edited By Korg
    @inferiorego:  
    Now open your mouth, and let's have a look at that brain...
    Now open your mouth, and let's have a look at that brain...
    OmegaDynasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#408  Edited By OmegaDynasty

No Caption Provided
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#409  Edited By danhimself
    @CATMANEXE said:
    " @danhimself said:
    " @Dynoblaze said:
    " @Korg said:
    " @Dynoblaze said:
    " One thing Disney WILL do however is meddle in the movies. Thor? Gone. Captain America movie? Yeah right."
    Disney has already stated that they are not going to interfere in Marvel's current movie projects, so that's actually one thing that Disney WON'T do. "
    Depends on if Marvel has the money to fund those movies. If they ran out of money and have to ask Disney for money Disney may say "look, these guys just aren't that popular, we aren't going to fund something that appeals to a few fanboys." "
    Paramount is under contract with Marvel when it comes to movies....they aren't going to run out of money "
    funny i was just thinking about this. Paramount just entered into a partnership as of last month with Disney. "

well then.....
    KasadyCarnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#410  Edited By KasadyCarnage

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Paragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#411  Edited By Paragon

Dear Nay-sayers, 
    Get over yourselves, and read more than just the title. Had you done so, you would see that a Disney exec said that nothing will change. I believe the phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." was used. 

Love, 
    Paragon

PS: Warner Bros. owns DC, and that really changes nothing for them. How is this any different?

Avatar image for alexander_anderson
    Alexander Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I strongly dislike this news on principle, but I doubt it will matter all that much on a practical level.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#413  Edited By DH69

i...i just...i just died a little inside...

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#414  Edited By DH69

WAIT does this mean if i buy any marvel comics from now on i will be supporting disney?!

Lost_Rellik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#415  Edited By Lost_Rellik

I highly disagree with this,  I personally think that Marvel is just going to fall into rubble now; whats left of it anyways when Disney gets their paws on it. Just think about it, everything is going to be marketed towards kids now more than likely....probably no more violent character like Punisher, or Ghost RIder etc. They will probably make Wolverine have flowers come out of his hands instead of claws for christ sake, and Spidey will shoot cotton candy out of his wrists. I've comics too long to see my favorite company go down the drain to Disney and little childrent that nothing at all about the actual characters other than whats in most of the terribly bad movies and cartoons.
    Avatar image for moonknightfan123
    MoonKnightFan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a sad day.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#417  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @DH69 said:

"WAIT does this mean if i buy any marvel comics from now on i will be supporting disney?!"

Not if you buy them as second hand back issues ;)

@stormtide said:

"There's a huge opportunity! You can have Marvel Characters in Kingdom Hearts now! Imagine the possibilities... adamatium weapons... summon the hulk to kill stuff.. "

I was just thinking about that... that would be fun, but a little overkill with three companies ;)  Maybe it could lead to a Kingdon Hearts-esque game with Disney & Marvel characters, or Marvel & Square Enix characters :) 
    drdanny10293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#418  Edited By drdanny10293
    @xerox-kitty: that would be kick ass!! if done right
    @DH69: yup! dosen't that suck
    dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#419  Edited By dane

Stan Lee needs to put some pumpkin bombs up in the boardroom. Any amount of Disney interference or influence will 100% ruin Marvel imo.

VIZION2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#420  Edited By VIZION2011

Im just so done with marvel, I beleive they sold there soul to the devil. Im so pissed right now i could scream marvel is sooo goin down the drain.!!!!!
    Blade_Runner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#421  Edited By Blade_Runner
    Buzz Lightyear vs. Iron Man crossovers!  Donald Duck:  Agent of SHIELD!  Spider-Mouse!  Goofpool!!

It's all good.  :-D
    castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#422  Edited By castleking

anybody think marvel undersold themselves big time? i mean 4 billion dollars seems like that could be made with a few movies by world wide box offices in a couple of yrs...

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#423  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @castleking: An American Billion is 1,000,000,000 (a thousand million).  That is very undersold if you compare it to a British Billion which is 1,000,000,000,000  (a million, million). 

But, Marvel don't make the films themselves.  They'll receive some of the profits from their movies, but I imagine the studios, producers, directors and stars receive the lions share.  I don't think they've undersold, especially during a recession.  It's more like they've secured themselves a financially stable future :)
    Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#424  Edited By Mbecks14
    @ninjadude853 said:
    " MOTHER******!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOD ******* **** IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! SON OF A MOTHER****** ***** **** **** **** ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW DISNEY IS GONNA TOTALLY **** EVERYTHING UP

I SWEAR TO GOD IF I SEE ANY DISNEY CHARACTERS IN A SINGLE MARVEL COMIC, IF THOSE GREED ****ERS **** ANYTHING UP, IM GONNA ****ING BEAT THE LIVING **** OUT OF THE FIRST ****ING PERSON I SEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "
    nicely said :)
    EganTheVile1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#425  Edited By EganTheVile1

Uggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE THIS SO MUCH!!!!!!! You know the animated movies will suffer for sure, I'm sure we can adios to PG-13 Marvel animation, and if the comics start to go through the Disney censorship process what can we expect to happen to Punisher, Deadpool, Wolverine and so on? THIS IS BAD NEWS
    AllNewOverseer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#426  Edited By AllNewOverseer
    @Mbecks14 said:
    " @ninjadude853 said:
    " MOTHER******!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOD ******* **** IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! SON OF A MOTHER****** ***** **** **** **** ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW DISNEY IS GONNA TOTALLY **** EVERYTHING UP

I SWEAR TO GOD IF I SEE ANY DISNEY CHARACTERS IN A SINGLE MARVEL COMIC, IF THOSE GREED ****ERS **** ANYTHING UP, IM GONNA ****ING BEAT THE LIVING **** OUT OF THE FIRST ****ING PERSON I SEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "
    nicely said :) "

Nicely said.
    Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#427  Edited By Mbecks14
    @Babs said:
    " @Mbecks14 said:
    " no...No...NO!!!   i hate everything that Disney stands for. If anything about Marvel comics changes because of this deal i'm going to lose my mind! I dont want to see any disney influence. "
    This is hilarious.  What does Disney stand for? Mouse ears? "
    I'm referring to the type of world the disney channel is shaping in the youth of america.  their monopoly on the entertainment world is one thing.  but i'm talking about the kids brainwashed on the "music" of the Jonas brothers, high school musical, and hannah montanna.

yes they're all good morally and what not. but their constant reuse of "disney channel stars" is making it seem like they are trying to create their own, personal generation of celebrities that they can control.  

also, they only hire actors/actresses who they think can appeal to mass crowds. a bad marketing strategy? not at all. but they're ignoring talent and giving really high paying jobs to people who look better than they can act. i understand this happens all the time, but they're so young that it can only corrupt their future.

also. disney channel is sexist. against boys. find me one intelligent, non goofy, girl/food obsessed boy character on the disney channel and i'll take back this comment. but they're all the exact same stereotype that is embarassing to be associated with. even remotely.

that's what disney stands for to me.
    Death-Mask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#428  Edited By Death-Mask

I'm giving up comics if disney destroys marvel comics

Pez85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#429  Edited By Pez85

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#430  Edited By Nova`Prime`

You know alot of people are complaing about the comics being censored more for children, because this is what Disney does to things. But as I sit here watching Shaq vs on ABC, I just saw a commercial for a show about two gay men and their family lives. Humm now who owns ABC, oh ya that's right its Disney.

So all you little drama queens and suicide cases step back from the ledge or put the razor down, take a deep breath, and wait and see. What's done is done, all the crying and bolstering on the internet isn't going to change anything. So please save us all the hassle, you're only making yourselves look foolish.

EganTheVile1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#431  Edited By EganTheVile1

What's more disturbing to me is that disney views this as a purchase of "downloadable and online media" from an article I read, which almost sounds like they want to turn Marvel into E-Comics and phase out print copies to me
    Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#432  Edited By Mbecks14
    @Pez85 said:
    "

"
    this is kinda disturbing.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#433  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Nova`Prime` said:

"You know alot of people are complaing about the comics being censored more for children, because this is what Disney does to things. But as I sit here watching Shaq vs on ABC, I just saw a commercial for a show about two gay men and their family lives. Humm now who owns ABC, oh ya that's right its Disney.  So all you little drama queens and suicide cases step back from the ledge or put the razor down, take a deep breath, and wait and see. What's done is done, all the crying and bolstering on the internet isn't going to change anything. So please save us all the hassle, you're only making yourselves look foolish. "

+1  

@eganthevile1 said:

"What's more disturbing to me is that disney views this as a purchase of "downloadable and online media" from an article I read, which almost sounds like they want to turn Marvel into E-Comics and phase out print copies to me "

Marvel have been introducing the motion e-comics over the last few weeks.  It's only natural that Disney would be interested in this new take on comics.  However, Disney is still a business about making as much money as possible, therefore it is unlikely that they shoudl resort to an internet only source of reading material that is available only to the US.  Spider-Woman is currently only available on iTunes in the US.  The international market has to wait for the printed version.  Then there are the families who don't have access to the internet, or the school libraries who still want to stock graphic novels/trade paperbacks to encourage reading.   

I think it's just a new gimmick, and only time & sales will tell hwether it'll take off or not.  But I doubt it'll completely replace the good old fashioned format of ink on paper :)
    Tradog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#434  Edited By Tradog

I'm telling you kingdom hearts 4 with marvel will be awesome.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

people should actually read the content first before making up there minds.

from page one
     http://www.marketwatch.com/story/disney-to-acquire-marvel-entertainment-2009-08-31-9050
    original statement official, with no newscastings involved
     http://marvel.com/news/comicstories.9360.Disney_to_Acquire_Marvel_Entertainment

@ marvel sold cheap, and why... 
    (more worthwhile reading in this link as well)
      http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/industries/media/disney-acquire-marvel-entertainment-b/ 

For Marvel, Disney's purchase culminates what's been a ten-year turnaround process for the company. Marvel shares are up more than 1400% from 1999, compared to a 23% decline in the S&P 500. However, investors said that Marvel has reached a point where the company could not grow any more. 

"Marvel is getting out right at the right time," said Dan Shaffer. It would be tough for them to grow without a Disney-like distribution system."

@ Disney makes changes to Marvel....

The purchase of Marvel marks one of Disney’s largest acquisitions in recent years, surpassed only by the purchase of Pixar in 2006. It gives Disney access to the intellectual property that attracts a primarily male audience, something Disney with its "Hannah Montana" and "High School Musical" franchises, has struggled with in recent years. Disney recently launched a cable channel aimed more at boys called Disney XD. 

However, as part of the transaction, Disney will be working directly with some of the company's biggest rival movie houses like Sony Pictures ( SNE : 26.38, 0, 0%), Twentieth Century Fox ( NWS : 12.28, 0, 0%), and Viacom's Paramount Studios ( VIA : 25.63, 0, 0%). Before this transaction, Marvel signed distribution deals with those movie houses. Sony Pictures owns the rights to the Spiderman franchise, while Fox has the rights to X-Men.

Disney said it would honor those distribution deal until they expires. Iger, in a call with investors, said that it would be "in our best interests to be the sole distributor of the content"  afterward.

and importantly

Disney executives went to great lengths during the call to make the point that they don’t pretend to be more expert than Marvel is in handling their characters, citing the hands-off relationship Disney has had with Pixar since the acquisition of that studio. Disney said Marvel manages the properties from a business perspective very intelligently and trusts them to make the right decisions for these products for a long time to come.

an opinion from elsewhere

I highly doubt that the Punisher will be taken out of the Marvel universe and I don't think that Disney would really want to make the universe "kid-friendly". Disney acquired Marvel for the licensing. They wanted those characters and that merchandising/movie rights. That's where the money is at, as opposed to the actual comics. I think it's most likely that Disney will let Marvel continue as a subsidary of the company and that they won't change anything too drastically

Marvel wasnt technically "bought out". They were in on this and this arrangement was reached a long time ago, as the above statements help to clarify why. The stock transaction was the means to finalize the deal without interruption from other interested party's and competitors who might want to interfere, most notably 20th Century Fox, who has had many problems legal wise with 
    Marvel over the years, and stands to lose their agreement due to breach of contract. example (and defines the agreement)
     http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_1999_Feb_11/ai_53852572/?tag=content;col1

Marvel will remain a subsidiary company, meaning thy will be fully in charge of what they do, not Disney.
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#436  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @CATMANEXE: Nice run down there Catman, intelligent and very well put together. I don't see any personal biase one way or the other. Helps one make an informed design, and not just shoot off at the hip and freak out.
    Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#437  Edited By Nerx
    @Babs:
    I thought it was Inspiration
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#438  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    ahumancartoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#439  Edited By ahumancartoon

I just keep thinking of how this will parallel Warner Bros/DC partnership. We all know DC movies constantly get hampered by the WB. I have any eerie feeling the same thing is gonna happen to the Marvel Studios films.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#440  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @ahumancartoon said:
    " I just keep thinking of how this will parallel Warner Bros/DC partnership. We all know DC movies constantly get hampered by the WB. I have any eerie feeling the same thing is gonna happen to the Marvel Studios films. "
    What does "hampered" mean?
    Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#441  Edited By Aronmorales

...I just had a thought, will this issue appear on a Family Guy episode?

ahumancartoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#442  Edited By ahumancartoon
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @ahumancartoon said:
    " I just keep thinking of how this will parallel Warner Bros/DC partnership. We all know DC movies constantly get hampered by the WB. I have any eerie feeling the same thing is gonna happen to the Marvel Studios films. "
    What does "hampered" mean? "
    ham·pered, ham·per·ing, ham·pers
    To prevent the free movement, action, or progress of.
    Deadpool47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#443  Edited By Deadpool47

Deapool and Blade meet Mickey Mouse, lets see how this turns out ladys and genltemen! GRRRRRRRRRRR 
    Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#444  Edited By Slinger

I don't know if someone brought this up already, and I'm not about to go back and read 450 posts, but what does this mean for Icon? Kick-Ass is a Disney Product now?

Blade_Runner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#445  Edited By Blade_Runner
    @Slinger: All existing movie agreements remain in place until the studios stop making making movies with those particular franchises (e.g. Sony has the rights to Spider-Man films).  At that time, the report states the rights revert to Disney.  Pretty standard buy-out stuff.
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#446  Edited By Media_Master

This is weird

Wingdings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#447  Edited By Wingdings

D:

avengpymhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#448  Edited By avengpymhawk

Wonder what will happen to Universal Studios, now that Disney has the rights?

kalel60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#449  Edited By kalel60
       does this mean the marvel characters will be running around disney theme parks? even attractions??
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#450  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Come get some Disney!
    Come get some Disney!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.