Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Disney's Buying Marvel!

Avatar image for the_avenging_angel
    The Avenging Angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

This goes back to the age old rivalry between Disney and Warner Brothers. For as long as they've been existence the two companies have been competing against each other. They have without argument the two most famous cartoon characters of all time: Mickey Mouse (Disney) and Bugs Bunny (WB); world class theme parks: Disney World/Disney Land vs. the dozens of Six Flags owned by Warner; and Disney saw all the money that Warner Brothers is making off superhero movies (because Warner Brothers owns DC Comics so it makes all the money from stuff like Justice League, Superman Returns, The Dark Knight); so Disney had to keep up and buy Marvel so they could try and make the profit from Iron Man 2, The Avengers movie, and all the other upcoming Marvel projects

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By AngelFrost

Imagine what this will do to the X-Men ¬_¬

Emma will probably turn into Sleeping Bitch
    Scott will be Prince Un-Charming. 
    Wolverine will be the Grumpy Dwarf. 

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

No Caption Provided
    This is me right about now.
    SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

User Lists: 8

#54  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

That Is interesting. What Is Disney Thinking! Noooo Why do they have to do this

bx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By bx1
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I don't like this at all.

Risque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Risque
    @Vance Astro said:
    " I don't like this at all. "
    Agreed. Given the ultra nice tendencies that Disney has I see some characters like Punisher loosing a lot of spotlight.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#58  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I'm going to say this.If Marvel starts feeling the affects of Marvel owning them as in things change...I'm reading Image and Udon from then on.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By AtPhantom

This makes some strange sense to me since Warner Bros already owns DC. Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse are out to rule the world. :P

ninjadude853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#60  Edited By ninjadude853

MOTHER******!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOD ******* **** IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! SON OF A MOTHER****** ***** **** **** **** ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW DISNEY IS GONNA TOTALLY **** EVERYTHING UP

I SWEAR TO GOD IF I SEE ANY DISNEY CHARACTERS IN A SINGLE MARVEL COMIC, IF THOSE GREED ****ERS **** ANYTHING UP, IM GONNA ****ING BEAT THE LIVING **** OUT OF THE FIRST ****ING PERSON I SEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Marshal Victory

Their taking this its a small world afterall thing a bit to far.Thus this is all wolverines fault.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#62  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @ninjadude853 said:
    " MOTHER******!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOD ******* **** IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! SON OF A MOTHER****** ***** **** **** **** ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW DISNEY IS GONNA TOTALLY **** EVERYTHING UP

I SWEAR TO GOD IF I SEE ANY DISNEY CHARACTERS IN A SINGLE MARVEL COMIC, IF THOSE GREED ****ERS **** ANYTHING UP, IM GONNA ****ING BEAT THE LIVING **** OUT OF THE FIRST ****ING PERSON I SEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "
    When's the last time you saw Bugs Bunny in a Superman comic?
    ElectricHaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By ElectricHaggis

Some Pixar produced Marvel movies would be awesome.

Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64  Edited By Nahero

yeah i mean i can understand that they work together to boost they're international appeal but if i see marvel characters singing the mickey mouse march i'll be out for blood
    and its not that i don't like disney i like disney but disney now a days does npot care about making movies that enchant us its about them making money and if there going to ruin the image of wolverine to making a quick buck there more evil than i read they better leave marvel out of their disney stuff and leave it the way its been for the past sixty years

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

I'm going to see this as a positive thing

SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

User Lists: 8

#67  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

This is a scar that won't go away

ninjadude853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#68  Edited By ninjadude853

now that ive calmed down somewhat *see above post*  it would be kind of cool if this somehow leads to a kingdom hearts like thing with the marvel U

thats about the only good thing i see in this

but only if its NOT canon

Risque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Risque
    @inferiorego said:
    " I'm going to see this as a positive thing "
    I might be simply a bit hysterical about the whole thing I have to admit but where is the positiveness in this?

(Not trying to hate, really interested in your oppinion on the matter. If you made a joke I simply didn't get it, sorry. lol)
    Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#70  Edited By Sparda

This is surreal. Wow. Uh......well, as long as I don't see any censorship in Marvel titles and the content remains the same, I'll be okay with this. I just don't want Marvel to have to simplify themselves or anything because of Disney. Like other people have said-will I still see Wolverine dicing people up? Are people still going to be getting shot? I know Disney has put out some more adult movies (like the Pirates films), so maybe they'll still be okay with the content in Marvel books. I wonder what the fate of the MAX titles will be?

Maybe this will help out their upcoming movies, at the least.

Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Nahero
    @Risque said:
    " @inferiorego said:
    I might be simply a bit hysterical about the whole thing I have to admit but where is the positiveness in this?  (Not trying to hate, really interested in your oppinion on the matter. If you made a joke I simply didn't get it, sorry. lol) "
    yeah im just gonna cool it cuz nothing seems to be happening significantly to actually make me this mad
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Risque said:
    " @inferiorego said:
    I might be simply a bit hysterical about the whole thing I have to admit but where is the positiveness in this?  (Not trying to hate, really interested in your oppinion on the matter. If you made a joke I simply didn't get it, sorry. lol) "
    Movie production. Maybe more 3d Animated films, most likely NOT with Pixar, but Disney's 3d design team is pretty great. More funding for everything Marvel without the fear of failure since their backed by one of the top entertainment companies of all time.

Comics will not change. The biggest difference you may see is a few more (yes, there are some already) Disney comics on the shelves by some notable writers and artists. (I'm not talking about big names at Marvel, more entry level guys)

I honestly don't know why everyone is assuming the worst. Time Warner owns DC and you don't see any of the Looney Tunes breaking into a Batman book.
    raypoppa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By raypoppa

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Risque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Risque
    @inferiorego said:
    " @Risque said:
    " @inferiorego said:
    Movie production. Maybe more 3d Animated films, most likely NOT with Pixar, but Disney's 3d design team is pretty great. More funding for everything Marvel without the fear of failure since their backed by one of the top entertainment companies of all time.  Comics will not change. The biggest difference you may see is a few more (yes, there are some already) Disney comics on the shelves by some notable writers and artists. (I'm not talking about big names at Marvel, more entry level guys)  I honestly don't know why everyone is assuming the worst. Time Warner owns DC and you don't see any of the Looney Tunes breaking into a Batman book. "
    You may have a point there. I think the biggest trouble that I'm worrying about is that the whole thing goes Pixar style. Pixar made some really good movies and after Disney bought them their movies drastically decreased in quality (at least in my eyes the first Pixar movies were the best, the newer ones are kinda weak). But maybe we should see what comes out of the ineveitable and not scare ourselves too much. Marvel is not Pixar. We'll see.
    soba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By soba

mickey vs wolverine 

lol

Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Marshal Victory
    Avatar image for chocolate_lantern
    Chocolate Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Honestly I see this being good for Marvel. DC has always had a studio to make their movies now Marvel has one too! They won't be dark gritty movies like Batman, but if you look at the latest Marvel movies they aren't dark and gritty any ways so it will be fine. Besides most people look at Marvel comics as more targeted toward children anyways (no offense to any one reading this just throwing it out there) I think this is a very good thing for Marvel. It will help them make more movies (not saying they will be better or worse) and it will really boost Marvels popularity among a younger generation.
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Way to much over reacting on the boards this morning.

I mean it hasn't even passed yet, the Marvel Shareholders have to agree to it, and they have to pass an antitrust review by the government. So unless the shareholders started to hate money during the middle of the night and Disney lost all those lovely little politicans it has in its pockets. But I'll hold of judgement till I actually see a negative impact on the comics themselves. Disney owns alot of things, and I really doubt they are going to force themselves onto the Marvel comics.

They are doing this because Marvel has an audience they want, young men. Disney puts almost nothing out for the young man to enjoy. Unless they like Hannaha Montana and the Jonas Brothers. Disney is smart I doubt they'll mess with this new cash cow, until it starts losing money.

Plus I would wager we're goign to get a ton more Marvel Animated movies of lesser known characters.

Also Marvel MAX should end for one simple reason, they did an Eminem crossover, MAX is dead to me.

Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Nahero
    @inferiorego said:
    " @Risque said:
    " @inferiorego said:
    Movie production. Maybe more 3d Animated films, most likely NOT with Pixar, but Disney's 3d design team is pretty great. More funding for everything Marvel without the fear of failure since their backed by one of the top entertainment companies of all time.  Comics will not change. The biggest difference you may see is a few more (yes, there are some already) Disney comics on the shelves by some notable writers and artists. (I'm not talking about big names at Marvel, more entry level guys)  I honestly don't know why everyone is assuming the worst. Time Warner owns DC and you don't see any of the Looney Tunes breaking into a Batman book. "
    oh good point good point and time warner made all the awesome DC animated series we used to watch on cartoon network 

so we may have those on the way
    srTiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By srTiago

Will Mickey Mouse fight Wolverine???

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By DEGRAAF

isnt waltdisney and Warner Bros connected business wise in some way?
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Risque said:
    " @inferiorego said:
    " @Risque said:
    " @inferiorego said:
    You may have a point there. I think the biggest trouble that I'm worrying about is that the whole thing goes Pixar style. Pixar made some really good movies and after Disney bought them their movies drastically decreased in quality (at least in my eyes the first Pixar movies were the best, the newer ones are kinda weak). But maybe we should see what comes out of the ineveitable and not scare ourselves too much. Marvel is not Pixar. We'll see. "
    No, I never consider Pixar Disney, Pixar is a subsidiary of Disney. As for film quality going down, I disagree. I thought Wall-E, Ratatouille, and especially Up! were amazing films. They took a few more chances under Disney at that time (story wise) because they had the financial backing to do it. That's what should happen with Marvel. Because right now their stories are duller than me in real life.
    Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Nahero
    @DEGRAAF said:
    " isnt waltdisney and Warner Bros connected business wise in some way? "
    nah
    Illuminarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Illuminarch

Although I have no love for the cultural Marxists that have taken over Disney since the '80s, I'm not worried about it affecting Marvel's comic production. What I am concerned about, though, is their movies. Having Marvel Studios and, before that, the freedom to select production studios and distributors was a huge benefit, unlike DC who was locked in to Warner Brothers. Marvel seems to be setting itself up for the same thing.

Avatar image for desiderina_redhead
    Desiderina Redhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont see a problem, Disney are a company like any other...  

they are not stupid they wont rework anything Marvel is doing as they are too big a money maker, Disney will not start making it more child friendly... why would they? they would loose readers and ergo loose money, people are freaking out for nothing.

Editman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#86  Edited By Editman

O_o

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Desiderina Redhead said:
    " I dont see a problem, Disney are a company like any other...   they are not stupid they wont rework anything Marvel is doing as they are too big a money maker, Disney will not start making it more child friendly... why would they? they would loose readers and ergo loose money, people are freaking out for nothing. "
    win
    Hadez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Hadez

This is a epicly bad idea. Next thing you know Warner Brothers will buy DC and You'll have a Green Lantern/Bugs Bunny Crossover. Whats gunna happen Deadpool will he start says "oh gosh". instead of finding out how to say "OH S^@T" in skrull. all will be wrong in the universe because of this. The end of the comic world as we know it. DC may have finally won the big brand war..........It's a sad sad sad sad sad sad sad day in thew world if this happens

Avatar image for the_sharp_dressed_lady
    The Sharp Dressed Lady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just the other day I was thinking of DCs ownership by Warners, and thought of who might own Marvel if it ever came to that. Disney was at, or very near, the top of that list. 

Disney has produced some of the pinnacles of entertainment in the last couple of decades alone, never mind since Walt and Roy and the bunch started it all. They are also tops in CG animation productions. That they don't already invest in Marvel in some way would be a surprise. 

Why did Marvel feel they had to sell themselves to Disney? Marvel is on a roll. Disney has certainly noticed Marvels upswing. Disney might have made them an offer that they pondered and liked, and they felt enhanced their own position, particularly when they have so many productions happening. 

The only thing that would increase the value for Disney of their Marvel acquisition is for them to just let Marvel be Marvel. Keep off the goods. Stay out of the kitchen. Hands off. And Disney should know why perfectly well, being Disney and not. The moment they mess with the method, the way, the rules of the Marvel House Of Ideas, is the moment Disney has lost their investment in Marvel, and the moment Marvel loses all credibility as a productive and money-earning investment property for Disney.

It's an excellent fit. Maybe much better than when Warners bought DC. Maybe much better. 

srTiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By srTiago

Will Mickey Mouse fight Wolverine?

Satyrquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Satyrquaze

Now we will finally get that Wolverine/Donald Duck crossover we've all been waiting for...
    Hadez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Hadez

I totally didn't know that warner brothers owned DC already. Hmmmmmmmm, but I don't want them to make kid friendly comics again. does anybody remember the horrible campieness when they had to fallow the comicbook code. I see this happening again and it truely saddings me,

Risque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Risque

Hehe, I want to see a Howard The Duck/ Donald Duck crossover... "You're a cheap copy!" "No, you are" "No, you!" "No, you!" "No..."

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#94  Edited By No_Name_
    @The Sharp Dressed Lady said:
    " Just the other day I was thinking of DCs ownership by Warners, and thought of who might own Marvel if it ever came to that. Disney was at, or very near, the top of that list.  Disney has produced some of the pinnacles of entertainment in the last couple of decades alone, never mind since Walt and Roy and the bunch started it all. They are also tops in CG animation productions. That they don't already invest in Marvel in some way would be a surprise.  Why did Marvel feel they had to sell themselves to Marvel? Marvel is on a roll. Disney has certainly noticed Marvels upswing. Disney might have made them an offer that they pondered and liked, and they felt enhanced their own position, particularly when they have so many productions happening.  The only thing that would increase the value for Disney of their Marvel acquisition is for them to just let Marvel be Marvel. Keep off the goods. Stay out of the kitchen. Hands off. And Disney should know why perfectly well, being Disney and not. The moment they mess with the method, the way, the rules of the Marvel House Of Ideas, is the moment Disney has lost their investment in Marvel, and the moment Marvel loses all credibility as a productive and money-earning investment property for Disney. It's an excellent fit. Maybe much better than when Warners bought DC. Maybe much better.     "
    <3
    Psiray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Psiray

this scares me greatly. however, i feel censorship may not be a big deal when it comes to films. reason being that disney owns miramax and they still continue to release movies that are for mature audiences (pulp fiction and many quentin tarantino films) in fact i think they will release better films for marvel. on the other hand, if they do decide to keep a strong grip on comic releases, which im hoping and thinking they wont, we may see some very "kid sensitive" material. i do believe that disney is looking for an adult audience and i hope thats what they use this deal for. it has been mentioned that the history of the characters will stay the same though, so thats just a tiny plus.

As for cartoons well i dont think the amount of limititations and rules that are already on them will change...im pretty happy to see a fox free marvel though.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @Risque: LoL I was just thinking the same thing. Now we can have a Howard the Duck comic with him sponging off of Uncle Scrooge. Excellent.
    afierce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#97  Edited By afierce

Wow! Did anyone see this coming? It seems so out of the blue.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#98  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

I always just assume the worst. Hopefully things will not change to dramatically

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#99  Edited By Moomin123

NOOO! Mickey Mouse you son of a b***h, how can you do this to us. What's gonna happen now in comics? Is Mickey Mouse going to help Spider-Man or Goofy the Dog join the X-Men? This blows.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

This just in: I bought Malibu Comics

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.