Disney's Buying Marvel!

Posted by G-Man (18876 posts) - - Show Bio
Part of me feel like it's April 1st.  Can this be true?  Has Disney bought out Marvel?  According to a press release put out this morning, the Walt Disney Company "has agreed to acquire Marvel Entertainment, Inc. in a stock and cash transaction, the companies announced today."

"This transaction combines Marvel's strong global brand and world-renowned library of characters including Iron Man, Spider-Man, X-Men, Captain America, Fantastic Four and Thor with Disney's creative skills, unparalleled global portfolio of entertainment properties, and a business structure that maximizes the value of creative properties across multiple platforms and territories," said Robert A. Iger, President and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company. "Ike Perlmutter and his team have done an impressive job of nurturing these properties and have created significant value. We are pleased to bring this talent and these great assets to Disney."

"We believe that adding Marvel to Disney's unique portfolio of brands provides significant opportunities for long-term growth and value creation," Iger said.

"Disney is the perfect home for Marvel's fantastic library of characters given its proven ability to expand content creation and licensing businesses," said Ike Perlmutter, Marvel's Chief Executive Officer. "This is an unparalleled opportunity for Marvel to build upon its vibrant brand and character properties by accessing Disney's tremendous global organization and infrastructure around the world."

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of Marvel including its more than 5,000 Marvel characters. Mr. Perlmutter will oversee the Marvel properties, and will work directly with Disney's global lines of business to build and further integrate Marvel's properties.

What are your thoughts on this?  Will we see more Disney comics?  We're already seeing some Disney properties at Boom! Studios and soon at Archaia.  Will Disney have more say in what goes on in comics?  What will happen to Marvel Studios?  Will the Marvel movies now fall under Disney's control as well?  Are we going to see Marvel characters at Disneyland and Disneyworld?  This is a crazy way to start the morning.
#1 Posted by Agent Buttons (12411 posts) - - Show Bio

well thats.....interesting.
#2 Posted by themaskedhero (264 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm honestly rather confused by this. I just think getting too involved with Disney might lead you down a road that might not end well.  

Let's all bookmark this moment in Marvel history and if they ever start falling apart, we can blame this.

#3 Posted by harleyquinn12 (1741 posts) - - Show Bio

This might work out but since I don't read much Marvel(Okay no marvel,except Runaways) this doesn't exactly grab my intrest.
#4 Posted by Baron (13 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully it's just a rumor.

#5 Posted by Agent Buttons (12411 posts) - - Show Bio
@themaskedhero said:
"I'm honestly rather confused by this. I just think getting too involved with Disney might lead you down a road that might not end well. "

lol the Disney Avengers
#6 Posted by G-Man (18876 posts) - - Show Bio
@Baron said:
" Hopefully it's just a rumor. "
A lot of Marvel writers have been twittering about it as well.  Heck, I think everyone is.
#7 Posted by Fresh Prince (5226 posts) - - Show Bio

We might start having some Marvel characters vs Disney characters fights in the battle forums soon XD

#8 Posted by AngelFrost (2797 posts) - - Show Bio

Geeeze,

Is nothing sacred?

#9 Posted by G-Man (18876 posts) - - Show Bio
C.B. Cebulski just twittered:

Not much more I can say right now. More info coming soon. We're told it's like when Disney bought Pixar... everything Marvel stays as is.

#10 Edited by Decept-O (7291 posts) - - Show Bio

Whoa.  Wow.  This is quite a bit of news.
I will also speculate on this one:  Will Mickey Mouse meet Spider-Man in a Crossover? 

#11 Posted by jloneblackheart (5482 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope that comment speaks the truth

#12 Posted by Mbecks14 (2029 posts) - - Show Bio

no...No...NO!!! 

i hate everything that Disney stands for. If anything about Marvel comics changes because of this deal i'm going to lose my mind! I dont want to see any disney influence.

#13 Posted by ThE FL@$H (116 posts) - - Show Bio

WTF!... NO!... Spider MIckey!...

#14 Posted by Mbecks14 (2029 posts) - - Show Bio

I better not see an Avengers/Hannah Montanna crossover.

#15 Posted by bx1 (192 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was strange how the Disney XD (?) cable channel was showing more and more comic related shows. I figured they were just gonna start a comic book network. 
Is this good or bad? It mostly depends on Mr. Perlmutter and his willingness/ability to maintain the intergrity of the Universe. Marvel must keep its edgy tradition.  

You know what? I'd feel safer if I knew that John Lasseter (Pixar) was involved. 

#16 Posted by No_Name_ (12593 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mbecks14 said:
" no...No...NO!!!   i hate everything that Disney stands for. If anything about Marvel comics changes because of this deal i'm going to lose my mind! I dont want to see any disney influence. "
This is hilarious.

What does Disney stand for? Mouse ears?
#17 Posted by Arsenal (214 posts) - - Show Bio

The One-Above-All will become Mickey Mouse. I can see it coming.

#18 Posted by MysterioMaximus (927 posts) - - Show Bio

Well...so long as Marvel movies don't become PG musicals...I don't really care. If the product stays the same, that being mature, violent if nessessary, psychological, etc. No big deal.
#19 Posted by Niesa (56 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't help but fear for MAX titles. Also, where does this leave the more grittier tween stuff we've seen recently. As we've seen in X-Men, Marvel have been going for 'realistic teenagers' but instead have ended up with soem awful Skins parody. I can't see tweens being managed the same way with any Disney look in.

#20 Posted by Lord's Angel (1093 posts) - - Show Bio

sniff sniff.....I smell censorship.

#21 Posted by WriteNoWrong (4 posts) - - Show Bio
@Agent Buttons:
#22 Edited by Niesa (56 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know about that.

I mean this is potentially a good thing for an industry that has very, very nearly ended up in the crapper before. With a powerful name like Disney behind it, jobs are secure and extension of the brand seems completely likely. 

It's not like Disney have a set line as a shiny, happy children-centric distribution company because they do release adult films. I don't even know if it'll effect creative content because by all right it shouldn't...but I can tell you now, it'll bring up all that creator controlled business again.

McFarlance is probably dancing around his kitchen, laughing.

#23 Posted by dc-kid21 (151 posts) - - Show Bio

poor wolverine he cant   murder people more maybe they ll add mouse ears to his costume........

#24 Posted by MysterioMaximus (927 posts) - - Show Bio

The problem is...at what price? If this effects the product...this could be the end of Marvel. But Disney wouldn't expect Marvel to just up and make everything "kid-friendly," would they? I still want my Punisher blowing heads off. I still want my Wolverine slicing limbs bye bye. Etc. I mean, are we going to see the Disney logo in front of Marvel films now? Is Tony Stark going to sing a song about alcoholism in Iron Man 2? ...What are the details here?
#25 Posted by bx1 (192 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe Disney can wrestle back all those movie rights. Maybe we can get a good FF movie. Maybe.

#26 Posted by CryptOfTerror (1 posts) - - Show Bio

weird.  well since Marvel is terrible now anyway it doesn't really affect me, but i can understand why people would be nervous. 
#27 Posted by inferiorego (28266 posts) - - Show Bio

WTF? Am I still asleep? This is weird....
I have no problem with it, but the combination doesn't fit to me.

Staff
#28 Posted by MysterioMaximus (927 posts) - - Show Bio
@bx1 said:
"Maybe Disney can wrestle back all those movie rights. Maybe we can get a good FF movie. Maybe. "

The last thing I'd expect is to see a good Fantastic Four movie with a Disney logo on it. That's like an oxymoron...
#29 Posted by WriteNoWrong (4 posts) - - Show Bio
@MysterioMaximus: 

They could work with Pixar on something cool.
#30 Edited by MysterioMaximus (927 posts) - - Show Bio
@WriteNoWrong said:

" @MysterioMaximus:   They could work with Pixar on something cool. "

When was the last time you saw a Pixar movie with people being shot up I:E: Punisher? Common... 

If this is true, does it come with new censorship "kid-friendly" rules, more like limitations? Or will the Marvel books, movies, game, etc. be uneffected by this? I want details. I don't want the product to be dumbed down or altered in any way. 

And does this make Hannah Montana officially part of the Marvel Universe? And can Deadpool murder her?    

#31 Posted by bx1 (192 posts) - - Show Bio
@MysterioMaximus said:
" @bx1 said:
"Maybe Disney can wrestle back all those movie rights. Maybe we can get a good FF movie. Maybe. "
The last thing I'd expect is to see a good Fantastic Four movie with a Disney logo on it. That's like an oxymoron... "
I'd settle for a masculine Doctor Doom. lol
#32 Posted by The Devil Tiger (1263 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lord's Angel said:
"sniff sniff.....I smell censorship. "

@Lord's Angel:
Yeah, if it's true, it's the end of the Marvel we all know... 
#33 Posted by Risque (310 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry, but... WTF??? I still can't believe that. I think it will take some time to get that into my head.

#34 Posted by Wepopu (6 posts) - - Show Bio

did you remember when disney brought saban and the power rangers went right down the tube.  thats why the power rangers are such a joke now because disney owns them.  i sure hope the same fate doesnt befall marvel.  but one can only hope
#35 Posted by dondasch (921 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow.  Truly shocking news.  Wonder if Stan the Man is calling it a career?

#36 Posted by Agent Buttons (12411 posts) - - Show Bio
@WriteNoWrong:
lol
#37 Posted by bx1 (192 posts) - - Show Bio
@dondasch said:
" Wow.  Truly shocking news.  Wonder if Stan the Man is calling it a career? "
Wasn't he already working with Disney? Under his POW Entertainment company?
#38 Posted by WriteNoWrong (4 posts) - - Show Bio
@MysterioMaximus: 

I've heard some rumors that Pixar was looking to get in on some more adult content with their films, and this could be the first step in that direction. Then again, I could be completely wrong. But hey, I'm just trying to look on the potential bright side here.
#39 Posted by mazzacare (1 posts) - - Show Bio

disney better not go and disneyfi all the things in the marvel u

#40 Posted by No_Name_ (12593 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Posted by Bastion the Master--Sentinel (60 posts) - - Show Bio

please don´t do this!!!
i don´t want to see Mickey or Goofy fighting versus the hulk or the GreenGoblin

#42 Posted by MadOmegaMan (85 posts) - - Show Bio

I've got a feeling that some new Avengers could be:  

Snow White? Mickey Mouse? Hannah Montana? 

Anyone who likes the idea of that is sick!
#43 Edited by johnny_spam (2020 posts) - - Show Bio

Crap, something just occurred to me. I don't care about any Marvel comics but Marvelman and now that Disney owns Marvel and Marvel owns the rights to the character and the possibility to reprint the old eighties material will they censor it or not go through with it  at all?
#44 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7951 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I just died a little more inside.

#45 Posted by Charlie_1981 (26 posts) - - Show Bio

Sincerely I don´t know to think about this news, I hope that it is something good, I don´t want to think that Marvel has sold for a tons of money for anything and that Disney devotes themselves to destroy more than 70 years of history of the Marvel Universe. I hope that they have respect to these characters and don't finish turning them into something so unrecognizable that makes shame.

#46 Posted by Quest (107 posts) - - Show Bio

Disiney better not ruin marvel. 

#47 Posted by ernie_aka (15 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm already seeing Norman Osborn offering red apples

#48 Posted by LastSon1027 (513 posts) - - Show Bio

WTF!?!?!?!?!?!

#49 Posted by Blowout (217 posts) - - Show Bio

this is really unexpected. i wonder if and how marvel is going to change. hopefully not much.

#50 Posted by LastSon1027 (513 posts) - - Show Bio

The Sorcerer's Apprentice is About to become the Sorcerer Supreme!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.