Disney/Marvel: What good outcomes could happen...

Posted by sora_thekey (8107 posts) - - Show Bio

Now that the freaking out because Disney bought Marvel is almost over, I thought this wold be a good moment to share my insight on what GOOD things could outcome from this agreement.

1. Disney's abilities to making movies is something admirable (obviously) so now that Disney owns Marvel, the extesive character shows a lot of promise on making Animated feautures. So far Marvel has made some Animated Movies such as: Ultimate Avengers, Ultimate Avengers 2, Invincible Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Next Avengers: Heroes of Tommorow, Hulk VS Wolverine, Hulk Vs Thor, an future movies such as Thor: Tales of Asgard and Planet Hulk. Two movies usually come out a year. Now we can all admit that some of the art and animation in the movies have inconsistencies. With the abilities in Disney these inconsistencies could easily dissapear.
  2. Disney has created live action movies that are PG-13 and are very popular: "Pirates of the Caribean". Now compare Pirates of the Caribean with mvies like Daredevil, X3, and Fantastic Four. Which would you perfer? Showing Disney can make a better live-action movie.
  3. Disney is the owner of ABC, If you heard the podcast from two weeks ago you might think I'm copying G-Man's idea but no, Lost is soon to be over and Disney got Spider-Man's television rights a few weeks ago. So how about a competition to Smallville series with a Spider-Man series? or even a Runaways series?
  4. Disney has video games with Square Enix that everybody could agree are pretty good, such as Kingdom Hearts. Have you seen the graphics on the Kingdom Hearts? Now imagine those graphics on Marvel characters on the MUA 3 game.
  5. Disney's relationship with Pixar could prove useful when it comes to making movies or even television series.
  6. Disney owns many television channels. Think of this: Disney XD canceled and a Marvel channel opens, Schedule according to TV Guide shows Spectacular Spider-Man, Wolverine and the X-Men, Iron Man, Spider-Man (1992), Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, X-Men, X-Men: Evolution to name a few and at night have a different Marvel movie Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, X-Men, Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, and even old movies like Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD, HOward the Duck and the old old Doctor Strange movie. What do you think? Oh and i forgot about Super Hero Squad.
  7. Marvel can now publish a Pirates of he Caribean comic book!!!

What do you think? What ideas do you like/ dislike?
#1 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

I just don't wanna see "Disney channel-fied" Marvel.

#2 Posted by EganTheVile1 (6181 posts) - - Show Bio

Only good I can think of is a new season of Spectacular Spider-Man, considering the cable channel Disney XD plays the first two seasons constantly, aside that can't think of any.... Though upon some research I found out Disney owned the rights to Hellraiser, and those films were as viciously violent under Disney ownership as they were prior, so maybe we are making a lot of noise over nothing 
#3 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio
@eganthevile1: They also own the rights to Touchstone pictures which did Clerks.
#4 Posted by EganTheVile1 (6181 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheDrifter said:
" @eganthevile1: They also own the rights to Touchstone pictures which did Clerks. "

So hopefully Disney will keep Marvel a sepwerate entity like they did with Touchstone and Dimension
#5 Posted by EganTheVile1 (6181 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheDrifter said:
" @eganthevile1: They also own the rights to Touchstone pictures which did Clerks. "

So hopefully Disney will keep Marvel a sepwerate entity like they did with Touchstone and Dimension
#6 Posted by ARMIV (4140 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as Disney keeps their hands off of Marvel,I'm good.
In fact,I completely forgot Disney bought Marvel until I saw this...
eehhh....

#7 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio
@eganthevile1 said:
" @TheDrifter said:
So hopefully Disney will keep Marvel a sepwerate entity like they did with Touchstone and Dimension "
Yep yep.
#8 Posted by sora_thekey (8107 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheDrifter said:
" @eganthevile1 said:
" @TheDrifter said:
So hopefully Disney will keep Marvel a sepwerate entity like they did with Touchstone and Dimension "
Yep yep. "
And yet When Disney bought Touchstone and Dimension I don't recall the Director of Disney making a video to announce it....
#9 Posted by EganTheVile1 (6181 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey said:
" @TheDrifter said:
" @eganthevile1 said:
" @TheDrifter said:
Yep yep. "
And yet When Disney bought Touchstone and Dimension I don't recall the Director of Disney making a video to announce it.... "

Good point, I hope they stay hands off, cant imagine characters like Punisher, Deadpool, Anti-Venom, Norman Osbourne, or even Wolverine under Disney ownership if they are directing the character development, Frankly I think Disney is less a threat to story and more a threat to print, as they stated that this is for Online Media, which I take to mean they plan to phase out of print comics, which is incredibly f'd up.
#10 Posted by sora_thekey (8107 posts) - - Show Bio
@eganthevile1 said:
" @sora_thekey said:
" @TheDrifter said:
" @eganthevile1 said:
" @TheDrifter said:
Yep yep. "
And yet When Disney bought Touchstone and Dimension I don't recall the Director of Disney making a video to announce it.... "
Good point, I hope they stay hands off, cant imagine characters like Punisher, Deadpool, Anti-Venom, Norman Osbourne, or even Wolverine under Disney ownership if they are directing the character development, Frankly I think Disney is less a threat to story and more a threat to print, as they stated that this is for Online Media, which I take to mean they plan to phase out of print comics, which is incredibly f'd up. "
That wouldn't necesary change since artists and writers weren't fired during the whole transaction....
#11 Posted by xerox_kitty (15760 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey: I completely agree with all of your reasoning.  In fact, I'm glad that Disney are honouring the existing movie contracts with other studios.  That way the Iron Man, Thor, Hulk & Avengers movies will continue... and if they repeat the success and standards of Iron Man then Disney will have to raise the bar when its their turn.  
#12 Posted by RaptorFratBoy (550 posts) - - Show Bio

And yet I still proclaim: Thinking that Disney will do anything to harm what is potentially the greatest, most lucrative, multi-media venture in the next 100 years is silly, nonsensical, and you should just stop.

Really, stop. You're making yourself look foolish.

They're not censoring characters. They're not "phasing-out" print comics; what are they, completely mental? 

Those that cry foul to this deal MUST stop thinking of Disney as nothing but Mickey Mouse and fuzzy feelings; they're a BUSINESS that wants every single red cent in your pocket, and they're NOT going to outright desecrate something they just paid FOUR BILLION DOLLARS for, which according to "Basic Business Ethics For Dummies", would alienate the audience they also bought and therefore that 4-B's would amount to a whole lotta bupkiss. 

And then see what happens when you do a little research? Oh, yeah...Disney owns movie companies, and has for years, that makes all-kinds of blood-and-nudity-filled productions, and hey! They got left alone. And hold on, how about Pixar? Were THEY forced to make amazing, 3D-CGI "Goof Troop" movies? NO! They were allowed to make whatever they damn well pleased, because...wait for it...THEY MAKE MONEY!!!

So like I've said a dozen times now, if Marvel THEMSELVES start sinking, if they dare make the 1996-caliber mistakes again, THEN Disney will step-in and do their thing, rightfully so, as during that scenario Marvel has failed and needs cleaning-up, for better or worse. But if we're still seeing Marvel crank-out movies like "Iron Man" and selling a good 30% above DC like they are now (I think, anyway...), well, then everything will be fine. 

Now PLEASE...Can we get back to sora's topic of POSITIVE things that could occur? Get some creativity going, here...

/rant

#13 Posted by Timm (255 posts) - - Show Bio

Disney has been trying to get their hands on Marvel properties for years, to use. i'm not saying they're going to shred all of our comics and dreams, but i will say i wont be surprised if they start to tread in animated areas they shouldn't. Disney is not going to make an animated cartoon about Daredevil for the big screen with singing and such for families to watch as Matt Murdock's father is beaten to death by gangsters (to dramatic music). but i don't think that Disney XD - replaced by - Marvel Cartoons channel isn't unlikely. i actually like the idea of a channel i can flip on and marvel cartoons will be playing while i draw or whatever. they could finish spectacular spider man, maybe an avenger's next series. that'd be nice. 

its more likely though that they'd replace several multicultural characters in any marvel universe situation with just one token like they do in all of their cartoons currently.

#14 Posted by RaptorFratBoy (550 posts) - - Show Bio
@Timm said:
" Disney has been trying to get their hands on Marvel properties for years, to use. i'm not saying they're going to shred all of our comics and dreams, but i will say i wont be surprised if they start to tread in animated areas they shouldn't. Disney is not going to make an animated cartoon about Daredevil for the big screen with singing and such for families to watch as Matt Murdock's father is beaten to death by gangsters (to dramatic music). but i don't think that Disney XD - replaced by - Marvel Cartoons channel isn't unlikely. i actually like the idea of a channel i can flip on and marvel cartoons will be playing while i draw or whatever. they could finish spectacular spider man, maybe an avenger's next series. that'd be nice.   its more likely though that they'd replace several multicultural characters in any marvel universe situation with just one token like they do in all of their cartoons currently. "
There now, that's more optimistic. However, there's a million ways to produce a quality animated feature that still stays true to the character but also keeps things light for the kiddies. Yeah, you're right, we're not going to see "Battling" Jack Murdock getting bludgeoned to death or hear Gwen Stacy's neck go SNAP!, but plenty of clever allusions to those events could be used, allowing the story to focus on the front-and-center aspects. 

Mainstream superhero cartoons ALWAYS have to be toned-down and otherwise altered to meet specifications; it's nothing new, and Disney's only following the rules. Even if Disney wanted to, you're not going to see The Punisher shooting-up crackheads on ANY network cartoon channel, period. And as far as insisting upon multicultural characters, that's been happening for years now, too. DC wanted their "Justice League" cartoon to feature The Big Seven originally, but Warner Bros. mandated that Hal Jordan be replaced by John Stewart, and Aquaman by Hawkgirl to get another female on the team. Nothing new, and in some cases like with "JL", it worked-out great...kinda funny that both mandated characters hooked-up, no? Anyway...

I also believe that one day, we'll see a full-fledged "Marvel Animation" channel. Once the contracts run-up with Nickelodeon, I'm sure Disney will be bringing those cartoons over to Disney XD, and by that time we'll also have the new "Avengers" cartoon, and whatever else they're working on. Bust-out the ancient-but-awesome toons from the 60's and 70's, shows like the 90's "Silver Surfer" and even crap-fests such as "Avengers: Starring Hank Pym & Tigra!" or whateverthehell, and the library of DVD flicks. Now there's a steady batch of material to form a Network, and I'm sure with Disney hard at work on the amazing "Guardians Of The Galaxy" series (or the hostages die!), well...formula for success. I hope it happens!
#15 Posted by sora_thekey (8107 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems like the most popular idea is the marvel Animation channel.....

Those are all good ideas and Raptor has a point.... Iron Man and Wolverine and the X-Men are on Nickelodeon... So either Disney buys it off or Disney/Marvel waits for the contracts to be over...

Although that is exciting I just wish that my idea on a Spider-Man show is what i'd like more to happen...
and after the contract on Allison Mack is over in Smallville she can be Gwen Stacy!!! hehehe

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.