Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Disney's Lucasfilm and Marvel Entertainment to Publish Star Wars Comics and Graphic Novels

• 95 results
    LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Now I feel like buying Dark Horse's Star Wars.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
    spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By spinningbirdcake

So who feels a price hike in the Star Wars ongoing coming on?

EvilPenguin543

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Is it just me or does the press release make it sound like Disney is berating Dark Horse's job handling the Star Wars comic books?

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Definitely a big blow for Dark Horse. Their top four books from November were all Star Wars related which equaled 48% of all their sales volume for the month for single issues based on the numbers in Comichron.

Can't blame Marvel though. It is clearly a lucrative franchise that they own. It'd be stupid of them to not start publishing the books.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting.

DoctorXander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Dark Horse rocked at their Star Wars comics, they will be sorely missed and Marvel better take this job seriously

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Damn this sucks for Dark Horse

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This will be tough for Dark Horse but you can't blame Disney/Marvel. They paid some serious coin for those rights.

ScarletBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scarletbatman said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:

@scarletbatman said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@khan_noonien_singh: No, Marvel aren't going to bother keeping there books to another publishers continuity

I disagree. Marvel will have no say in what is or is not canon. JJ Abrams will decide what post-RotJ material will be canon since he is spearheading the movies. Marvel will fall in line with the new vision for the Star Wars universe.

JJ doesn't get to decide what comics Marvel puts out

JJ and Disney decide what is and is not canon. Marvel isn't going to be allowed to put out comics that are not considered canon, since everything has to feed the current incarnation of the beast (at least for the first few years as Disney solidifies their hold-over and their vision-of the franchise).

Lol yes they are, you think Marvel aren't aloud to put out films that aren't canon with the Avengers movies?

Marvel comics and Marvel movies began as separate continuities. Star Wars is all one gigantic continuity. Star Wars is also brand new to Disney and everything is going to funnel into advertising and supporting the new films, TV shows and vision for Star Wars. I'm not saying Marvel will be unable to make new comics, quite the contrary, I fully expect Marvel to pump out 3 or 4 new titles, each with their own theme and characters.

What I don't expect is Marvel to focus on releasing Dark Horse's back catalog for titles that exist in the post-RotJ era, at least not during the build up to the new movie and for months, if not a year afterward. Of course, this assumes JJ is going to jettison the EU. If he doesn't, then nothing will stand in Marvel's way.

Mars8254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: Just what i was thinking. Wish Darkhorse worked with Comixology. I would actually read more of there comics.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@mars8254 said:

@micah: Just what i was thinking. Wish Darkhorse worked with Comixology. I would actually read more of there comics.

Just buy it from there own digital shop

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@saren: I hope. The current stuff leaves much to be desired.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I'll probably do that for their upcoming predator/alien comics

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mars8254: I know right, all this time missing that extra sci-fi element to my pull list with Predator and Star Wars

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Horse beware poacher's.

Herx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 1

Firstly I'd like to say that I feel very sorry for Dark Horse right now. They moulded the star Wars comic universe for 20 years now and the press release for this change (which we all saw coming from 10 miles away) did little, in my interpretation, to give them the credit that they deserved as I think too much was put on marvel being "the original" comic source for star wars (the series of which I did enjoy thanks to the dark horse omnibuses). Whether this means that the star wars comic EU is being retconed I don't know. I'd expect the continuity to remain intact (until episode 7 comes out anyways) as Disney (not marvel) are not idiots and won't destroy the current readership of star wars as it means that they're getting money straight off the bat (them be geniouses, evil geniouses that make DC and its New 52 reboot look like childsplay). Why destroy an audience when you already have one, instead you pour money into that franchise and let the audience grow, releasing new titles or one offs which will allow for easier access (though considering the cancellation of 1313 I'm not so sure about this either)
    Secondly I am finding a bit of humore in the "oh why are you doing this marvel!!!" respoces to this news. All marvel had in this deal, as far as I can tell, was a:--
    DISNEY: "Hey marvel, want to write star wars comics"
    MARVEL" "HELL YEZ!1!1!!!1111!!!!"
    I mean who, if given the option, wouldn't want to draw and write star wars (apart from star wars haters I mean). The real decision was Disney's that wanted all of their star wars properties (from screen to paper, as seen with the recent lucasart gaming decision) to be published and distributed in-house(of-mouse), especially with episode 7 coming soon, and seeing as they already owned marvel it was a decision that we all (from their acquisition of marvel a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away) coming. Had Dark horse been acquired by Disney this would never have happened, or had lucas film never been acquired by Disney this situation would never happen. But as one man once said on a giant death ball " I have just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away forever "

Herx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#68  Edited By Herx
    Loading Video...

I am also disappointed by the lack of people posting this: :P

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2015: All-New-All-New Marvel Now! Star Wars #1

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Least this means Darkhorse will hopefully concentrate on their own ips more.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I do feel bad for Dark Horse but once the announcement of Disney taking over Marvel was made the had to know this day was coming. I have enjoyed the Dark Horse extended universe alot over the years and I hope Marvel does not screw it up. I wonder will Dark Horse be able to keep their trades in print or when the rights revert back to Marvel will those works be forcebly taken off the market so the only new Star Wars comics out there will be from Marvel. I do hope Dark Horse will give some the the great tallent that have had working on Star Wars the opportunity to create something new. Maybe allowing some creator owned work like Image does. One thing is clear Dark Horse is going to have to get creative to stay in business now that they biggest franchise is leaving.

Avatar image for marcosvergara14
    MarcosVergara14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And that is how you finish a fantastic line of comics.

F$#% YOU Disney!

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm interested in what Marvel does with this. They have some of the best talent in the industry so I'm sure they'll come up with something good.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

I understand people who loved Dark Horse's Star Wars books not being thrilled about this decision, and hesitant for what comes next...but how is Disney a villain here? Dark Horse doesn't own Star Wars, they never did. It was a licensed out property that would one day move elsewhere, everyone involved always knew this was the case. Disney not only now has an in-house comics publisher, but the most financially successful comics publisher in the world. Moving Star Wars to Marvel is a good business move.

Dark Horse will take a huge hit from this, but when you make you're money off of licensed properties, that is the risk you run. If anything I think the company may have in the past rested too much on the Star Wars brand, and other licensed properties, without putting enough attention to new IPs like Image does. It seems like this is starting to change, as Dark Horse already has had one year to plan for this eventuality, and has another full year now to continue refocusing their efforts.

Dud317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Dud317

@scarletbatman said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:

@scarletbatman said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@khan_noonien_singh: No, Marvel aren't going to bother keeping there books to another publishers continuity

I disagree. Marvel will have no say in what is or is not canon. JJ Abrams will decide what post-RotJ material will be canon since he is spearheading the movies. Marvel will fall in line with the new vision for the Star Wars universe.

JJ doesn't get to decide what comics Marvel puts out

JJ and Disney decide what is and is not canon. Marvel isn't going to be allowed to put out comics that are not considered canon, since everything has to feed the current incarnation of the beast (at least for the first few years as Disney solidifies their hold-over and their vision-of the franchise).

Lol yes they are, you think Marvel aren't aloud to put out films that aren't canon with the Avengers movies?

If I'm not mistaken, Lucasfilm has a continuity editor or two. I've been told by an old school fan, (who is way into the EU) that there are two people whose only job is to catalog, designate, and approve (or deny) all EU events. If these positions actually exist, it's likely that they are still a part of Lucasfilm as it is by and large intact. Here's to hoping.

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 13

Come on; lets see Galactic Empire vs Marvel Earth!

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Emperorb777

I sense a increase in price coming for Star Wars comics.

ScarletBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I understand people who loved Dark Horse's Star Wars books not being thrilled about this decision, and hesitant for what comes next...but how is Disney a villain here? Dark Horse doesn't own Star Wars, they never did. It was a licensed out property that would one day move elsewhere, everyone involved always knew this was the case. Disney not only now has an in-house comics publisher, but the most financially successful comics publisher in the world. Moving Star Wars to Marvel is a good business move.

Dark Horse will take a huge hit from this, but when you make you're money off of licensed properties, that is the risk you run. If anything I think the company may have in the past rested too much on the Star Wars brand, and other licensed properties, without putting enough attention to new IPs like Image does. It seems like this is starting to change, as Dark Horse already has had one year to plan for this eventuality, and has another full year now to continue refocusing their efforts.

Disney is not the villain. Licenses come and go, which is why you always try to use licenses to raise brand awareness. The problem is that the world is so uncertain going forward. We don't know what's in store for Star Wars and that's the first time since before the first Zahn book was released that that has been the case. Beyond that, we have no idea what Marvel is going to do with the Star Wars property, or how good their comics will be in comparison to the amazing things that Dark Horse created. No one likes uncertainty and the future is just so full of it right now.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By COBRAMORPH

I'd actually like to see the shi'ar, Kree, Skulls & other marvel aliens get introduced into star wars.

& for 616 versions of the SW characters to show up in Marvel. We need a wookie in the avengers.

Avatar image for marcosvergara14
    MarcosVergara14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#82  Edited By cbishop

@nappystr8 said:

Disney is not the villain. Licenses come and go, which is why you always try to use licenses to raise brand awareness. The problem is that the world is so uncertain going forward. We don't know what's in store for Star Wars and that's the first time since before the first Zahn book was released that that has been the case. Beyond that, we have no idea what Marvel is going to do with the Star Wars property, or how good their comics will be in comparison to the amazing things that Dark Horse created. No one likes uncertainty and the future is just so full of it right now.

^^^ This- definitely. ...I'm wondering just how big of a blow this is going to be to Dark Horse. It seems like they've survived off of Star Wars all this time. With Dynamite and IDW competing in the same pools as Dark Horse (licenses and public domain/ Golden Age characters) I wonder if Dark Horse can survive this?

I could see a lot of the Star Wars talent at Dark Horse moving right on over to Marvel. Also, my understanding of Star Wars canon has always been that it is all canon- the movies, the comics, the novels, the cartoons, even the video games. Now, Disney could decide that they want to rewrite that rule, but it seems silly for them to do so. So I see no reason why Marvel wouldn't continue with the continuities Dark Horse has set up. However, I could see them not continuing the Dark Horse titles, and starting brand new titles that focus on other areas of SW altogether.

Dark Horse has always seemed to operate with a pretty solid business plan, but I am really curious just what the loss of Star Wars is going to do to them. Do they continue? Do the end? Do they merge with another comany or companies? Really interested to see the future of this company.

Like Scarletbatman said though: Disney is not the villain- this isn't (or shouldn't be) a surprise to anybody. They own Marvel, they bought Star Wars - it's only logical that they'd take Star Wars to their own comic house when the license was up. Just like it's logical that when the Disney licenses are up with Boom! or Gladstone (whichever has them now) they'll move the Disney characters to Marvel as well. It's not a question of "if," but "when." I think they've actually done a couple of Disney things through Marvel already.

Yes, this move might hurt Dark Horse, but Disney's business is to look after Disney, not their competition. They've never been in the business of throwing out talent though. I'd bet they offer a place for any Star Wars talent that wanted to make the shift to Marvel's Star Wars comics.

mikep12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm done with Star Wars

Drewyetti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disney wants to cash in big as they don't want to be behind the comic book industry, that's why they bought marvel and star wars. They just want to expand their brand to be maintain their place as number 1

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#85  Edited By fables87

@sawcesome said:

Does this mean the Dark Horse TPBs are gonna go OOP?

I don't think so. I could be wrong. But IDW is publishing stuff like Powerpuff Girls and Samurai Jack, yet they are also reprinting the stuff published originally by DC Comics.

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They'd be stupid not to.

attatje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disney just can't get enough I'm concerned Marvel better do it right tho.

Catsnlynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only Dark Horse I read is Captain Midnight, so I really don't care.

Skyhawk1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Skyhawk1
    Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Hey, they had a good run, but when it's time to pass the on torch, all you can do is make sure you do it with dignity.

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Of course, just as they launch a star wars series that has me interested... sigh... thanks Marvel

Avatar image for deactivated-6030f931768b5
    deactivated-6030f931768b5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I don't read SW myself but I think this is a great idea, it was only a matter of time before this happened with Disney purchase of Star Wars. That said however it's a shame to see a publisher like Dark Horse lose such a large title.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#94 owie  Moderator

It was obvious that this was going to happen, but I do feel bad for Dark Horse. They put enormous creative effort into all the Star Wars series over the decades and it's too bad that they're losing it. Marvel could do great stuff with it, but it could also be bad. We'll have to wait and see. But I hope they don't massively change the EU. I heard (in a random rumor several months ago) Abrams was not going to pay that much attention to the existing canon when writing his movie. I hope that's not true, and hope it's not a sign of what Marvel will do.

_Genesis_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By _Genesis_

Sad day

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#97  Edited By bloggerboy

I really wish we could see the Thrawn Trilogy as a movies of some form. Animation would obviously be the best bet.

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now I could swear I heard sometime early last year that this was happening early this year. Now I'm hearing at the very beginning of this year that it's happening next year. Maybe next year it will be announced it will happen the year after that. No. I'd find that very unlikely.

Anyway, while I don't read Star Wars, I sympathize for those of you worried about continuity wipes, because I already know those have their bad side due to DC doing that to what I read with their New 52 reboot.

On the idea of merging the Star Wars Universe with the mainstream Marvel U, I find that absolutely ridiculous. I predict the chances of that happening are slim to none. But who knows, publishers have done crazy things in the past.

AskaniSon295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They just better finish the stories Darkhorse started like Dawn of the Jedi. I don't care if Angela has a Marvel Logo or a Image Logo on the cover of her book and Sure as hell don't care if Dawn of the Jedi has a Darkhorse Logo or a Disney Logo or a Marvel Logo just finish the story. I don't care who owns what or why just make great stories, great art and great movies.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.