Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Disney's Lucasfilm and Marvel Entertainment to Publish Star Wars Comics and Graphic Novels

• 95 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

We all knew this was coming.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

The Walt Disney Company’s Lucasfilm Ltd. and Marvel Entertainment are joining forces to bring new Star Wars adventures to readers across the galaxy, with Marvel granted exclusive rights to create and publish Star Warscomics and graphic novels beginning in 2015.

The agreement marks a homecoming for the Star Wars comic books. Marvel Comics published the first Star Wars comic book, Star Wars #1, in March 1977, which went on to sell more than 1 million copies. Marvel Comics published its Star Wars series for nine years. In 1991, Dark Horse Comics took over the license, publishing fan-favorite titles likeDark Empire and Star Wars: Legacy. Last year, Dark Horse released The Star Wars #1, an adaptation of George Lucas’ original rough-draft screenplay for the film, garnering rave reviews and national media attention and ranking among the top-selling Star Wars comics of all time.

“Dark Horse Comics published exceptional Star Wars comics for over 20 years, and we will always be grateful for their enormous contributions to the mythos, and the terrific partnership that we had,” said Carol Roeder, director of Lucasfilm franchise publishing, Disney Publishing Worldwide. “In 2015, the cosmic adventures of Luke, Han, Leia and Chewbacca will make the lightspeed jump back to Marvel, to begin a new age of adventures within the Star Wars universe.”

“We here at Marvel could not be more excited to continue the publication of Star Warscomic books and graphic novels,” said Marvel Worldwide Publisher and President, Dan Buckley.The perennial brand of Star Wars is one of the most iconic in entertainment history and we are honored to have the opportunity to bring our creative talent pool to continue, and expand Star Wars into galaxies far, far away.”

“We’re incredibly excited by this next chapter in the Star Wars saga,” said Andrew B. Sugerman, executive vice president of Disney Publishing Worldwide. “Bringing together the iconic Lucasfilm and Marvel brands to tell new stories will allow us to continue to thrill lovers of the original Star Wars comic books and entertain generations to come.”

Marvel has continued to push comic book publishing forward with innovations and experiments like motion comics and digital-only releases, in addition to its deep, ongoing catalog of monthly series and graphic novels created by some of the industry’s most gifted artists and writers.

STAR WARS and related properties are trademarks in the United States and/or in other countries of Lucasfilm Ltd. and/or its affiliates. © 2013 Lucasfilm Ltd. All rights reserved.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By PapiNacho

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! It's impossible!!!!

Sawcesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Does this mean the Dark Horse TPBs are gonna go OOP?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I know Marvel is where Star Wars comics started at but ah man, this sucks. That means Mass Effect is their only major sci fi property now. IIRC, the current Star Wars title clocks in 40,000+ sales at the moment so that'll be a big sales loss for Dark Horse. I hope Marvel doesn't screw it up.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

R.I.P Extended Universe

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#6 Icarusflies  Moderator

Yikes...this is really going to hurt Dark Horse. :(

Nerd Of A Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

Well, I'm not into Star wars comics so no big deal to me, just that Dark horse will have to focus on their other comics from this point on. But it just goes to show that Marvel/Disney is a big 'hungry powerhouse vacuum' not to be taken lightly.

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deadpool and Bobba Fett now please.

Jayso4201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Terrible decision

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Damn, that's just cold. I know Marvel has every right to take the rights to it but Star Wars, from what I've seen, was a total cash cow for Dark Horse and helped them stay steady and strong.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Aww...that sucks.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool.

ScarletBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So disappointed in Marvel right now. I knew they were going to take the rights back but let's be honest, they aren't going to love and adore the Star Wars Universe the way Dark Horse has over the last 20 years. Guess I should buy as many trades as I can because I doubt Marvel will reprint any for many years.

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deadpool and Bobba Fett now please.

HA. That'd be interesting.

So disappointed in Marvel right now. I knew they were going to take the rights back but let's be honest, they aren't going to love and adore the Star Wars Universe the way Dark Horse has over the last 20 years. Guess I should buy as many trades as I can because I doubt Marvel will reprint any for many years.

This^^^

d0npierre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks like Disney is becoming Galactus..

*More and more... More franchises to consume...* :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

I knew this would happen.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RDClip

We all knew it was coming, but is still sucks. It says in the article that Marvel is will publish the comics starting in 2015, so at least Dark Horse has a year to finish out the current SW comics with proper endings.

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

@sawcesome: Likely what happened when IDW acquired their licenses like G.I Joe, Transformers, and TMNT will happen and Marvel will be able to release dark horse's issues in their own trades like IDW's classics lines.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Well, this sucks. Good bye expanded universe. Marvel sucks and now they are going to make Star Wars suck. Thanks for ruining the new year so quickly.

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Disney's doing the same things with its video games too, for Star Wars and Marvel, they want to put all their IP's in one place. In fact yesterday I heard the announcement that Marvel's activision games are being taken down off of PSN and XBLA for that reason. It seems bad at first, but the older series aren't going to vanish off the face of the earth, there's still ways to get them, and you never know what will happen with this in the future.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AllStarSuperman

dang idiots, so greedy,

d0npierre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

*Njam njam*

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

A sad announcement but to be expected. I think Dark Horse has done a tremendous job with the Licence, and over the years they have produced some of my all time favourite Star Wars moments and stories. I hope that respect is given to there legacy (as DH have done so many times with elements of the original Marvel Line). I just hope that this loss doesn't damage Dark Horse to critically. Once again I commend and thank them for there work.

BrotherEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

They got Halo from Marvel, didn't they? Kind of sad as it means we lose some good titles from DH who had a history of doing a nice job with the franchise. Guess Dawn of the Jedi won't be continuing after its current story arc... But maybe this might mean some focus on the Mass Effect and Halo line to up them up in terms of quality.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

At least Brian Wood has time to end his run on a way he wants.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

At least Brian Wood has time to end his run on a way he wants.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By frogdog

F*** Marvel

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@xwraith said:

This.

That being said, I enjoyed the early Marvel Star Wars comics. Sure some where....cheesy but they had some great ones.

Sawcesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gothamred: I figured they might do that after a while, but I'd still like to get the Dark Horse trades for the few series I started getting (Legacy, KOTOR, Crimson Empire...not much, admittedly).

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

This.

That being said, I enjoyed the early Marvel Star Wars comics. Sure some where....cheesy but they had some great ones.

Remember Jaxxon the giant green bunny? I actually liked him.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In other news, DUH

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#34  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@xwraith: xP Hell yeah :P That dude was funny as hell. ^__^ I may re-read some of those old Star wars comics this Weekend.

Avatar image for khan_noonien_singh
    Khan_Noonien_Singh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I know Marvel is kind of hurting... everything that I love right now in the 616 and Ultimate U, but you don't think they can match the awesomeness of Dark Horse?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khan_noonien_singh: whether they can match it or not isn't the point, this means all the pre-existing canon is going to be wiped

Khan_Noonien_Singh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Oh wow, really? I would have assumed that they would have kept the canon, just changed the publishers.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khan_noonien_singh: No, Marvel aren't going to bother keeping there books to another publishers continuity

Khan_Noonien_Singh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khan_noonien_singh: No, Marvel aren't going to bother keeping there books to another publishers continuity

That's a shame. I would have thought they would have taken the opportunity to do like IDW is with TMNT. Reprint all the issues that other companies created for a cheap buck. It makes financial sense because they won't have to do an ounce of work for it, but get to charge those arm-and-leg prices.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

This will not end well.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally Star Wars comics on comixology. YEESSSSSSSSSS

ScarletBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I disagree. Marvel will have no say in what is or is not canon. JJ Abrams will decide what post-RotJ material will be canon since he is spearheading the movies. Marvel will fall in line with the new vision for the Star Wars universe.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

Almost cared....almost.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

*Njam njam*

This....this is amazing.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@jonny_anonymous said:

I disagree. Marvel will have no say in what is or is not canon. JJ Abrams will decide what post-RotJ material will be canon since he is spearheading the movies. Marvel will fall in line with the new vision for the Star Wars universe.

JJ doesn't get to decide what comics Marvel puts out

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ScarletBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scarletbatman said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

JJ and Disney decide what is and is not canon. Marvel isn't going to be allowed to put out comics that are not considered canon, since everything has to feed the current incarnation of the beast (at least for the first few years as Disney solidifies their hold-over and their vision-of the franchise).

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

@scarletbatman said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

JJ and Disney decide what is and is not canon. Marvel isn't going to be allowed to put out comics that are not considered canon, since everything has to feed the current incarnation of the beast (at least for the first few years as Disney solidifies their hold-over and their vision-of the franchise).

Lol yes they are, you think Marvel aren't aloud to put out films that aren't canon with the Avengers movies?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.