Disney Buys Marvel: What Does This Mean For The Fans?

• 99 results
Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

Fear not 'True Believers,' this could be the deal of a lifetime!

As you may have already heard, earlier this morning the Walt Disney Company announced in an official press conference that they have managed to solidify their acquisition of Marvel Studios and it's "portfolio of 5,000 characters." The question on the minds of most comic book fans is whether or not the buyout will effect the development of the characters and what this means for the future. In other words, for example, will the "merc with a mouth" still have "a mouth"?

I want to tell you exactly why it is a good thing.

Firstly, I do not believe Disney would pay 4 billion dollars to purchase a company just so they can change it. From a purely business perspective, and I quote the Disney execs when I say this, "if it ain't broke" don't 'fix' it. Disney has witnessed Marvel expand and evolve from being solely a publishing company to a media giant. As a company, they would be foolish to tamper creatively with the success of the company and its characters, and I do not believe they would invest a tremendous amount of money just to do so.

Disney executives made a point during the call to infer that "no one knows Marvel characters like Marvel...[and that] Disney respects Marvel to give and allow [them] creative control of the company."

At the moment, less than 50% of Marvel's revenue is international. This deal is about expanding revenue, and getting the Marvel brand out to people who might not be familiar with it. With the backing of a corporate giant like Disney; Marvel will be allowed to expand and will be better suited to reach audiences they previously may not have. The deal allows Marvel to remove their relationships with third party companies and which would thus eliminate friction. Pixar is an example of this. While licensing Pixar may have been attractive; acquiring the company was a major benefit and allowed them to expand and develop projects that they previously would not have had the funding and backing to do so. The buyout will allow Marvel to expand it's distribution as well as the number of products it develops. Essentially, Marvel increases in value because of this deal than it did when it had been a stand-alone company.

"This is about buying people who know the characters really well...when you are one company, you deal with less friction "

What does this mean for Marvel's current projects?

Nothing. According to representatives from both companies, Disney will respect the deals that are already in place with other companies and distributors, and will take over once those contracts expire. They note that while they Disney will respect the deals already in place, that they do want to eventually become the sole distributors of Marvel's films.  

For the sad part..

I don't want to be labeled as a cold-hearted lover of all things corporate; and while I do see this buyout as advantageous for both companies, there is still something sad about witnessing a company that has survived independently for 70 years being bought out by the bigger dog. I remain an optimist, however, in that I really do not think that the the content will change and that this was all for the best. I understand the concerns of so many Marvel fans when they base their opinions on Disney's reputation as a company. My advice to the skeptics is to remember that this was a business deal and it would be illogical for a company like Disney to pay 4 billion dollars for something they want to change. Both Marvel and Disney feel that this is an advantageous step in the right direction because in essence, it means that Marvel will have a stronger foundation to expand.
#1 Posted by Lifeguard85 (392 posts) - - Show Bio

This makes me nervous, but Ill keep an open mind. I dont know how this is going to turn out, it could really go any which way. Maybe Marvel will be able to use the Crossgen characters/stories, since that was also bought buy Disney when they went bankrupt

#2 Posted by danhimself (22444 posts) - - Show Bio

Great article Babs!  Hopefully this will get some of the people over reacting in the other thread to calm down and listen to reason.  I for can't wait for all of Marvel's other contracts to expire so we can see what Disney has to offer when it comes to Marvel movies and I really can't wait for Disney's animation studios to handle some of the Marvel characters in the straight to dvd market.

#3 Posted by War Killer (20102 posts) - - Show Bio

My fear is that Marvel is full of great kick but comics, that has blood, bad mouths, and sexy women in them, my fear is that Disney will change these things to something that is "cute"...

#4 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7658 posts) - - Show Bio

Logiclly things should be ok really, fingers crossed.

#5 Posted by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously, I want to know why Marvel has done this deal ...

They have had several, successful films and franchises. The comic sales are doign good so I've heard. and the animated shows are doing really well.

Why?

#6 Posted by kneel before doom (304 posts) - - Show Bio
@AngelFrost said:
" Seriously, I want to know why Marvel has done this deal ...  They have had several, successful films and franchises. The comic sales are doign good so I've heard. and the animated shows are doing really well.  Why? "
Why? who doesn't want to spend  4 billion dollars
#7 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

it is a good thing thing. people have to understand what "buy" means first off. Disney became the majority shareholder
of Marvel stock (this is what "acquire" meant, yes, i turned down this stock too when it was low, AHAHAHAHAHA!), resulting
in a company merge. this does not suddenly mean that Disney has full creative control of Marvel nor owns the rights persay to
its characters, as laid out by the terms of the merger. Disney doesnt get to change what Marvel does (which is PG-13 anyways people) nor tell them how to do their business. much like when DC and WB originally merged. the comics remained unchanged, and
are in fact increasingly more R-Rated as the line of what is allowed in PG-13 material becomes less strict. what this does do...

- more resources for Marvel to tap, Disneys in fact and all of their affiliates. for example Pixar and Dreamworks. any acting talent, ect.
- give Marvel a more outstanding financial backing
- give Marvel both a secure home and Disneys network, something it pretty much has on Toon Disney as it is, and a secure place
in the movie division, also likely meaning Fox Entertainment will likely very soon lose the rights to Marvel Entertainment
- Disney has a partnership with Capcom, just pointing that out.
- Disney itslelf will gain more products, specifically comics as a result
- Marvel will be free to print more experimental material and do more experimental projects, without worry of failure, given their new backing.
- Marvel Theme Parks and marvel island will finally become secure
- Marvel Animation will be beefed up considerably and finally be able to be on par with award winning cartoons put out by WB and Disney.

we only stand to win as the consumer. 

imagine if you will Pixar or Dreamworks producing a full on CGI Marvel movie...

#8 Posted by crazyasahatter77 (21 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a tragedy. A company that has stayed a float this long, even after the whole comics crisis in the 90's and the near bankruptcy to be bought by the "family friendly" Disney Corporation. What out true believer's soon Wolverine will be skipping along with Mikey and Sabretooth will be having tea with the princess's. This may sound like a good deal to start with, but when things start to get watered down thats it. Things like Marvel Zombies and other such things will be a thing of the past. This just give me a bad feeling at the pit of my stomach.

#9 Posted by War Killer (20102 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATMANEXE said:
"it is a good thing thing. people have to understand what "buy" means first off. Disney became the majority shareholder
of Marvel stock (this is what "acquire" meant, yes, i turned down this stock too when it was low, AHAHAHAHAHA!), resulting
in a company merge. this does not suddenly mean that Disney has full creative control of Marvel nor owns the rights persay to
its characters, as laid out by the terms of the merger. Disney doesnt get to change what Marvel does (which is PG-13 anyways people) nor tell them how to do their business. much like when DC and WB originally merged. the comics remained unchanged, and
are in fact increasingly more R-Rated as the line of what is allowed in PG-13 material becomes less strict. what this does do...

- more resources for Marvel to tap, Disneys in fact and all of their affiliates. for example Pixar and Dreamworks. any acting talent, ect.
- give Marvel a more outstanding financial backing
- give Marvel both a secure home and Disneys network, something it pretty much has on Toon Disney as it is, and a secure place
in the movie division, also likely meaning Fox Entertainment will likely very soon lose the rights to Marvel Entertainment
- Disney has a partnership with Capcom, just pointing that out.
- Disney itslelf will gain more products, specifically comics as a result
- Marvel will be free to print more experimental material and do more experimental projects, without worry of failure, given their new backing.
- Marvel Theme Parks and marvel island will finally become secure
- Marvel Animation will be beefed up considerably and finally be able to be on par with award winning cartoons put out by WB and Disney.

we only stand to win as the consumer. 

imagine if you will Pixar or Dreamworks producing a full on CGI Marvel movie...

"
See this I understand and it makes me feel much better about all of this
#10 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

and props to Babs for this thread as well. 

Disney is not going to change any creative aspect of Marvel.
Disney is already merged with much more taboo entertainment than this as it is anyways.

there is the outside chance Spider-man will stop swearing, shooting drugs, 
and ripping out peoples intestines however. you never know, it could happen.lol.

#11 Posted by The Sadhu (853 posts) - - Show Bio

First big project from Disney/Marvel 

Finding Namor!
#12 Posted by Deo Wade (430 posts) - - Show Bio

Greatness.

#13 Posted by DragonRex1 (70 posts) - - Show Bio

I will still remain skeptical... the day I see a Marvel movie with that damn Disney logo is the day a part of me will die... my only hope is thta someday Marvel will break away from them... I'm sorry but ever since they ditched their great animations like Ducktales and Gargoyles for... Hannah Montana and stuff like that, I find live-action from Disney no where near good. If they make Marvel movies... it might be as sucky as Shaggy Dog
#14 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you for this article Babs, hopefully some people will be swayed by the rationale you laid out. Some people obviously prefer blind panic and hyperbole though, which is unfortunate, as it breeds misinformation.

#15 Posted by inferiorego (22581 posts) - - Show Bio

Great article Babs! Way to break it down!

Staff
#16 Edited by zengei (10 posts) - - Show Bio
@crazyasahatter77 said:

" This is a tragedy. A company that has stayed a float this long, even after the whole comics crisis in the 90's and the near bankruptcy to be bought by the "family friendly" Disney Corporation. What out true believer's soon Wolverine will be skipping along with Mikey and Sabretooth will be having tea with the princess's. This may sound like a good deal to start with, but when things start to get watered down thats it. Things like Marvel Zombies and other such things will be a thing of the past. This just give me a bad feeling at the pit of my stomach. "

Disney is a media giant, not just the "family friendly" princess and fairy tale stuff. Pretty much nothing will change for Marvel creatively. Basically the only difference will be that Isaac Perlmutter will now have bosses to report to besides the Board of Directors.  

@kneel before doom said:

" @AngelFrost said:

" Seriously, I want to know why Marvel has done this deal ...  They have had several, successful films and franchises. The comic sales are doign good so I've heard. and the animated shows are doing really well.  Why? "
Why? who doesn't want to spend  4 billion dollars "
Marvel doesn't get $4B. Marvel is a publicly traded company, Disney is basically buying the outstanding shares from private and institutional investors, none of that money goes into Marvel.

EDIT: And now we may finally get to see a Captain America vs. Nazi Donald Duck fight.
#17 Posted by crazyasahatter77 (21 posts) - - Show Bio
@DragonRex1:  Amen!!
#18 Posted by Red L.A.M.P. (2828 posts) - - Show Bio

Will this set off a wave of similar acquisitions?  It's been 2 long years of the economy taking a dump.  Bidness people are ancy to make some money.

Staff
#19 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
@zengei said:

"now we may finally get to see a Captain America vs. Nazi Donald Duck fight. "

I eagerly anticipate Deadpool and Darkwing Duck vs. Hydra and the Beagle Boys.    
#20 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg said:
" Thank you for this article Babs, hopefully some people will be swayed by the rationale you laid out. Some people obviously prefer blind panic and hyperbole though, which is unfortunate, as it breeds misinformation. "
For reals. 

@The Sadhu said:
" First big project from Disney/Marvel  Finding Namor! "

Yes, please! :D

@inferiorego said:
" Great article Babs! Way to break it down! "

Thanks
#21 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" Great article Babs!  Hopefully this will get some of the people over reacting in the other thread to calm down and listen to reason.  I for can't wait for all of Marvel's other contracts to expire so we can see what Disney has to offer when it comes to Marvel movies and I really can't wait for Disney's animation studios to handle some of the Marvel characters in the straight to dvd market. "
Could this mean a re-boot of the X-Men franchise? I hope so.
#22 Posted by crazyasahatter77 (21 posts) - - Show Bio

There is just nothing good about this. DC and WB is different then Disney and Marvel. For one WB, while it does have Looney Tunes does not put those characters out there as there main audience grabbing material, while Disney has built an empire from being family friendly. I just can't help but think that later on down the road that Disney will think that the gruff and sometimes gritty image that Marvel can portray at times will hurt that family image they have made and decide that Marvel will need some serious overhauling. I may just be a bit paranoid, but its just a travesty in my mind that they sold out.

#23 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio

First of all the haters of the Marvel comics pricing problems might have something to enjoy since this MIGHT cause prices to go down. 

Secondly comics that get cancelled may have a chance now with the new budget.
#24 Posted by NagolNuff (2493 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg: omg smash brothers marvel disney style XD

hmmm now that i read what is going on i'm not worried anymore cause i thought they were going to changeeverything but more like coexist just be in command
#25 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@crazyasahatter77 said:
" There is just nothing good about this. DC and WB is different then Disney and Marvel. For one WB, while it does have Looney Tunes does not put those characters out there as there main audience grabbing material, while Disney has built an empire from being family friendly. I just can't help but think that later on down the road that Disney will think that the gruff and sometimes gritty image that Marvel can portray at times will hurt that family image they have made and decide that Marvel will need some serious overhauling. I may just be a bit paranoid, but its just a travesty in my mind that they sold out. "
They didn't "sell out," they "seized the day"
#26 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg said:
" @zengei said:

"now we may finally get to see a Captain America vs. Nazi Donald Duck fight. "

I eagerly anticipate Deadpool and Darkwing Duck vs. Hydra and the Beagle Boys.     "
i want front. if a Darkwing, Talespin, Rescue Rangers, Ducktales, House Of Mouse or Nightmare Before Christmas comic debuts 
ill buy them, especially the latter.lol
#27 Posted by danhimself (22444 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @danhimself said:
" Great article Babs!  Hopefully this will get some of the people over reacting in the other thread to calm down and listen to reason.  I for can't wait for all of Marvel's other contracts to expire so we can see what Disney has to offer when it comes to Marvel movies and I really can't wait for Disney's animation studios to handle some of the Marvel characters in the straight to dvd market. "
Could this mean a re-boot of the X-Men franchise? I hope so. "

That would seriously be great!!!  Maybe even a Spider-man reboot?!?
#28 Posted by Anderson: Agent of SMITH (234 posts) - - Show Bio

Wouldn't it make less sense to pay 4 billion ofr something and not  tweak it for your own interests? I would be shocked if Disney gave Marvel full creative control, but I could definitely see them being open to ideas and trusting Marvel's writers, and just strongly suggesting something else if they thought it wouldn't be as successful or meet what they want.   

But thanks for this, Babs. I was a bit wary at first, and this eased my mind a little.  
#29 Posted by inferiorego (22581 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @danhimself said:
I would love to see that franchise out of the clutches of 20th Century Fox. Especially if we get a Magneto movie.
Staff
#30 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
@crazyasahatter77 said:
" There is just nothing good about this."
Except for all the things that are really very good. Why do you assume Disney is going to somehow ruin Marvel, when they have stated that their intent is to let Marvel be Marvel, and give them a bigger audience and more funding? They have said absolutely nothing about changing a single thing that Marvel is doing. I'm about as cynical a person as you're likely to meet, but look at a list of Disney's assets, and realize how unfounded your fears are. It should be pretty reassuring.
#31 Posted by bioghost (1245 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess there are going to be more people in Kingdom Heart soon.  
:)
#32 Posted by crazyasahatter77 (21 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright, while I applaud Babs for this article...I just can not get the idea of Disney and Marvel in my head as a good thing. And I also can't help but think how this will have an affect on Marvel down the road. While Disney does put movies out like Pirates of the Carribean, I just can't help that characters like Blade who are definitely R-rated material will not see the big screen again (though I am not a huge fan of Blade, just using that as an example.) Just me being worried.

#33 Posted by crazyasahatter77 (21 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg said:
" @crazyasahatter77 said:
" There is just nothing good about this."
Except for all the things that are really very good. Why do you assume Disney is going to somehow ruin Marvel, when they have stated that their intent is to let Marvel be Marvel, and give them a bigger audience and more funding? They have said absolutely nothing about changing a single thing that Marvel is doing. I'm about as cynical a person as you're likely to meet, but look at a list of Disney's assets, and realize how unfounded your fears are. It should be pretty reassuring. "
 That is what Disney is saying now, but I do not think that I am the only one that is thinking this could change the face of the Marvel that we love and not in a good way.
#34 Posted by blade hunter (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

as long as i dont see micky mouse in Ghost Rider i could'nt care less [actually that would be cool]
#35 Edited by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
@crazyasahatter77 said:

"  That is what Disney is saying now, but I do not think that I am the only one that is thinking this could change the face of the Marvel that we love and not in a good way."

Can you give me an example of any other company Disney has acquired that underwent such a transformation? 

@crazyasahatter77

said:

" I just can't help that characters like Blade who are definitely R-rated material will not see the big screen again (though I am not a huge fan of Blade, just using that as an example.) Just me being worried. "

Marvel already stated they were never doing an R-rated film again after Punisher: War Zone.  http://www.comicvine.com/marvel-publishing/57-31/no-more-r-rated-movies-for-marvel/92-387754/
#36 Posted by zengei (10 posts) - - Show Bio
@crazyasahatter77 said:
" There is just nothing good about this. DC and WB is different then Disney and Marvel. For one WB, while it does have Looney Tunes does not put those characters out there as there main audience grabbing material, while Disney has built an empire from being family friendly. I just can't help but think that later on down the road that Disney will think that the gruff and sometimes gritty image that Marvel can portray at times will hurt that family image they have made and decide that Marvel will need some serious overhauling. I may just be a bit paranoid, but its just a travesty in my mind that they sold out. "
You know Kevin Smith? His films aren't exactly "family friendly", yet all of them have been released by Miramax, a wholly own subsidiary of Disney.
#37 Posted by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @danhimself said:
I damn hope so! Which features a slightly younger cast and less about Wolverine  ¬_¬ since the whole film revolved around him.

@kneel before doom said:
" @AngelFrost said:
Why? who doesn't want to spend  4 billion dollars "

But you think that since their company relies on the support of their fans. and this is a HUGE change. They'd make a poll or atleast put it out there before quicklly signing the deal.  Idk, anything!
#38 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

Disney: Don't touch the characters and don't "disney" up my movies; no friggin' "G-Force" kinda crap happening with marvel characters.

#39 Posted by danhimself (22444 posts) - - Show Bio
@AdmiralWolvrineLightningbolt said:
"no NOOO FUCK THIS I am done with comic's for good bye all (puts gun in mouth and unloads) "

c'mon man watch your language
#40 Posted by crazyasahatter77 (21 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright, so i'm the debbie downer here, and you all make valid points and this may all end up for the best, but I am going to keep my doubts about this.

#41 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

well, I have decided folks, that i am so good with this news, 
that now I...have merged with Disney as well....

#42 Posted by Dorian Gray (249 posts) - - Show Bio

Disney and Marvel were both great companies in their prime, and after decades (for both of them) they have grown and old and lost a lot of their "pizzaz" in my eyes...does Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest and Hannah Montana: The Movie compare to Aladdin or Snow White and the Seven Dwarves? is Red Hulk(s) and Amazing Spider-Man (featuring Obama) even worthy of being listed amongst the 60's premieres Marvel ushered into the comic book world or their titles in the 90's (my favorite Marvel era)? 

if you answered yes to any of those questions, then you're a lost cause, but my point is that both of these companies need revival and what better way to do that then join together? sure it may end up equaling double the failure, but it could also equal double the success, no?

#43 Posted by Marshal Victory (677 posts) - - Show Bio

$4,000,000,000 dvided by 5,000 characters = 800,000 for howard the duck!! 
theirs your reson right their.
#44 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @danhimself said:
i was trying to remember, Disneys subsidiary film company for their less G-Rated material is Touchstone.
#45 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
@Brit: Not necessary, CV is a wholly-owned Disney subsidiary, and we can't have that kind of language here.
#46 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

TriStar too, among others. my friend jef just keyed me into that.
yep, this is win win (especially when Fox loses those rights)

#47 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATMANEXE: As mentioned, Disney also owns Miramax.
#48 Posted by Dark Cell (447 posts) - - Show Bio

If they make Marvel cute or touch it in any way ill puke
#49 Posted by Obsurity (263 posts) - - Show Bio

Disney is family orientated but the hidden sex messages in movies such as Aladdin, Lion King ect....  Have anyone here watch 17 Again? It was somewhat family orientated but it was filled with sex.... Stars like Hanna Montana catching flack about her new song and some time last year her pictures. Vannessa Hudgen's nude pic. Watch that south park episode about the chasity ring and the johnas brothers? What about Pirates of the Carrabiean? Wasn't that a disney movie which was pretty violent.

Look at ESPN and ABC how much influence do they get?
#50 Posted by bmank17 (26 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it'll be great, especially seeing how much funding disney has and can put towards marvel films and animated series. If anything they'll look a whole lot better, but hopefully they keep to their word and do not change anything creative-wise with marvel.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.