Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Disney buy Marvel!

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So today disney bought indiana jones. They previously bought star wars and industrial light and magic for 4 billion dollars. Why cant they buy x-men/FF from fox and spiderman from sony? whatever they spend would be worth it just to do civil war in 5 or 10 years. why has this not happened?

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I don't think it's that simple.

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By chalkshark

@cuddlebear: If something isn't for sale, it doesn't matter how much money you have, you can't buy it.

Crackdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@cuddlebear: If something isn't for sale, it doesn't matter how much money you have, you can't buy it.

Right there

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Why is it so many people want Civil War adapted?

ownagepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@ownagepants: I'm not sure if they could even do it properly. If the Avengers are working for S.H.I.E.L.D., and they work for the government, presumably they're all already "registered". It seems possible that it would be changed to just making your identity known to the general public, but if the government already knew, they could probably just release the information.

The only way I can think of that it could be done with the correct premise would be if the New Defenders are an unregistered team, and the Avengers have to take them down, possibly with some people changing sides. A lot more characters would have to be introduced to make this work though I imagine.

Plus for me, it was a kind of awkward/uncomfortable thing to read, and I couldn't agree or disagree with either side in particular. I imagine there must be other people out there who feel the same.

Considering it takes quite a while to make films, I'd much rather see them put the time and effort into making a good heroes vs villains story.

Avatar image for hillbillymorangie
    HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow thanks for the heads up, Disney and Universal will soon merge at this rate... As for Civil War, it can't work as a film, it would be a mess like the xmen films are. It would be better as a TV show in my opinion.

On that note, Disney own Xmen, Fantastic four and Spider Man, they just cannot use their likenesses in Film. The debate of who owns the live action rights or tv are still unknown to us not involved.

I can honestly see it being a series of SHIELD if it makes enough money for future series, they have already hired at a register so it wouldn't be a huge step, if they make enough money they would likely start putting xmen in and seeing how far they can push the boundaries and afford the egalitarian fees. I doubt they will use the likenesses Sony and Fox own, but with the new (red) fantastic four suits and other changes maybe they can step past the IP completely by changing the source material enough away from when fox and Sony acquired the rights?

Time will tell, all you can do is make sure you tune into Agents if SHIELD and make sure ABC and Disney see its worth the effort ;)

goobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt sony would sell spiderman or fox selling Xmen, tho i bet they could easily get FF back if they really wanted.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Disney buys Sony and Fox OMGs :p

Just kidding I know that will never happen especially Sony.

HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goobot: Nope they tried to get back silver surfer and Galactus, but Fox would not budge.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT ANY MARVEL EVENT AS A MOVIE

EWWWWWWWWWWW

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm sorry but Civil War would be a terrible movie. It was a great comic crossover but there's no way it could be properly adapted without cutting the heart out of the story. Comic fans take for granted that people would know all the things you need to know to really get into Civil War. It wouldn't work as a movie because simply put they don't have 40 years to lead up to it. You'd need to understand things about the Mutant Registration Act, and it would need to be in a world where Super powers were not only not a brand new thing but were common enough to have a reality TV show. There are so many little details that were already built in to the comics universe to make Civil War work that you'd never be able to pull it off in the movies.

HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: Genius, that would totally make a great Agents of Shield episode, reality TV show with super humans... The more people talk about it the more it would fit into a Whedon show, I am sure Buffy did something similar?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By joshmightbe

@hillbillymorangie: That wasn't really my point. My point was that Civil War only worked as well as it did in the comics because it was built on 40 years of continuity with little things like that, that while comic fans take it for granted, a general audience wouldn't really get it. Also it would need to jam a whole lot of content in a 2 to 2 and a half hour movie or really take the whole point out of the story.

HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know, it just got me thinking about how Sony sold all TV rights to Spider-Man back to Marvel for edited film rights back in 2009, so Speed Ball and Norman Osbornes Thunderbolts can all exist in Agents of SHIELD. so while the storyline is to big for Film it would fit perfectly as a Tv story arc.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.