Confusion O__O

#1 Posted by Batman242 (4860 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm primarily a DC fan, but I grew up watching both Marvel and DC so I'm cool with 'em both. I have a question though.

S.H.I.E.L.D is located in New York, correct?

The Avengers are located in New York, correct?

So are Captain America, Iron Man, Spider-Man, The Fantastic Four and a few other heroes who I either don't know or just can't place a finger on at the moment. With all those heroes being in the same city, why is it that they don't help each other? Possibly a hole in the Marvel story or something the writers never thought about. OR I just don't read the comics and don't see it happen. That also prompts me to ask where was Spider-Man in the Avengers movie. I know it wasn't about him, but it IS his city too, so he should've been there to help. (and I know the movie wasn't suppose to involve him but ya know it would've made it more interesting... even if they added some reference to him or cameo).

This also baffles me... Mutants. Mutants. Mutants <--- lol not a typo :P but anywho, Last time I checked, not 100% positive about it but, mutants are suppose to be everywhere on Earth throughout the Marvel Universe, right? If this is so, there is never a mention or appearance of a mutant in any Marvel stories other than the X-Men. I mean if they are supposed to be everywhere, they should be seen in every city even if they just find out about their powers. It'd make it alot more interesting if Marvel actually thought about all that... if it's true.

I don't know. Enlighten me if I'm wrong, but if I'm not, Marvel needs to step up

#2 Edited by jloneblackheart (5496 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man is on the Avengers in lots of comics. FF members have been as well. When there is big events, whether company wide or in specific titles, you'll often see others coming in for back up. When things get huge, they often work together. Examples I can think of include Maximum Carnage and Onslaught. I can't give specifics, but i can think of tons of times the Avengers or Fantastic Four were consulted. They are all more tightly knit in NYC than it seems, but if they all joined up constantly it would be boring.

Spider-Man is licensed to Sony, so he cannot be in the Avengers movie. Likewise, the FF, X-Men and Daredevil are also licensed elsewhere and cannot appear in the Marvel films.

There are mutants in other books, it isn't uncommon. Examples I know because of what I read include Major Victory on the Guardians of the Galaxy or Franklin and Valeria Richards, Leech and Artie in Fantastic Four. Many mutants have been on the Avengers including Wolverine, Beast, Storm, Scarlet Witch, etc. I'm sure if someone knowledgeable came in here, they could tell you all the mutant enemies of characters like Spider-Man, Daredevil, Punisher, etc.

After M-Day, the mutant counts have been reduced greatly. I don't keep up with mutant books to know what's really going on right now though.

#3 Posted by Batman242 (4860 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart: Ahhh, thank you. I knew it was to stupid to be true that they never thought of it. I agree that it would be boring if they did it constantly. But in these live action films, that's like the biggest plot hole I've ever seen.

Thanks for the clarification ^_^

#4 Posted by joshmightbe (24616 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel, like much of American media seems to see every other part of the US aside from New York and California to only exist when a plot point demands that a character be elsewhere hence why every single place on Earth only comes in suburbs, wasteland or Vegas.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.