Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Can Iron Man Be EMP'd?

Cyburrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Cyburrr

Poll Can Iron Man Be EMP'd? (18 votes)

please only real answers not opinion 44%
    please only real answers not opinion 50%

this is my first time making a forum post but can you all please answer my question? I know iron man has be EMP'd in the past but can the current iron be EMP'd or is he immune to it? and also what is iron man's source of energy

• 
    wolverine1610

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By wolverine1610

Not really, he had an emp installed in an older suit of his that when activated affected everything in the area including his suit. all it did was shut down a few of his systems but for the most part worked just fine until it rebooted. the suit runs on a variety of power sources including but not limited to solar and electricity and if needed will siphon energy from outside sources. also in the current iron man volume he knew his enemies would try to use an emp on him (i mean he fights tech terrorists and other suit users so that's hella obvious) so he outfitted emp protection to his suit. i assume that he's got the same protection on his current space armor

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

In Brubaker's Captain America series Bucky goes after Tony and tries to use the EMP he has in his metal arm to shut down the Iron Man armor but Tony suit is able to sense it and protect itself before the EMP went off. However, that is a small localized EMP. I think if he was caught off guard by a big one then it would effect him.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

This poll makes no sense and should go in the Iron Man forum.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

i dont think so. tony would have to be pretty dumb to not be prepared for an EMP.

Avatar image for thrust_vectoring
    Thrust_vectoring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Thrust_vectoring

@wolverine1610:

Yeah, it would be illogical if an EMP would be his only weaknes. However, EMP induces electrical current(we call it voltage surge, when a voltage immediately rises beyond all boundaries and then drops very quickly) in conductors for a moment, creating a current impulse that can burn those conductors. Now this has no effect on high voltage conductors,however it has the greatest effect on capacitors, which is an electrical component that is used the most in all kinds of electronics, effectively destroying or damaging them. It works basically on the principle that with a current passing through a conductor, heat is generated and every conductor has a heat limit. The most common type of EMP is a lightning strike and it would be very stupid of him if he did not think about a lightning protection. The most common way of shielding a device from an EMP blast is to put it into a "faraday cage", basically the EMP induces a current in the cage(IN the cage, inside the material of the cage, not inside the cage), not in the device, since the current in the cage is a response to a EM field change, it creates an opposite EM field to the inductor field, effectively neutralizing the field inside the cage. A faraday cage can be simply a metallic box, like an airplane or a car, or Iron Man's suit :)

So it is not about power sources.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Maddpanda531

I remember some regular guy being able to completely shut down Tony's armor in the New Avengers Civil War Tie-In. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't an EMP. Just, like, a weird little device thing.

ShenKuei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ShenKuei

@maddpanda531: That's called a "plot device".

The real answer is that it depends on whether the writer wants it to or not. All of Iron Man's armors are supposedly EMP-proof but that hasn't stopped EMPs from shutting them down in the past. Make of that what you will.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Sovereign91001

Not since the mid 90's, that used to be one of his armors weak points.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.