can I get an opinion on this idea I have.

#1 Posted by bravephencer (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Bare with me, I am writing this as I go and all of this is off the top of my head and is a collection of ideas I have had for awhile now.

So for the past two or so years I have had this idea burning in my head about a new line of Marvel comics. I have admittedly taken influence from many sources and combine them into what I think the writers have subconsciously been trying to do but just haven't taken the leap yet.

my idea in one sentence would be: What if the Marvel universe aged in real time, not so much a reboot, but a retelling of the marvel universe if it really happened.

The inspiration for this comes from many things. The first was reading Chris Claremont's Genext which is where alot of this is grounded, the other being the ultimate universe. I have been a fan of the ultimate universe since the start and to this day the first two volumes of The Ultimates are some of my favorites still.

but it's more then these two, it comes from looking over the past major arcs and realizing that the writers having been taken inspiration from real life events (whether they knew it or not) to shape their stories, Operation Galactic Storm took it's name from Desert Storm, Magneto and Professor X greatly resemble Malcolm x and Martin Luthor King and by extension the mutants plight with racism resembling the blacks fight with it in the 60's. There is also The Fantastic Four's first flight mirroring the moon landing and the 1960's space race, and even more resent events like the ultimatum wave somewhat feeling like the 9/11 attacks(at least to me).

lastly I looked at how every few years there is a character introduced that is a mirror copy of another character who often times will take over for there said hero or relative, for about three months and then will be put into the background when the original character returns to take up the mantle again, examples being, all of the young avengers, Bucky taking over for Captain America, x-23, spider-girl and so on.

I feel alot of these characters could easily come into their own and carve out a name for themselves if only given the right setting and opportunity, but sadly 99.9% of comics suffer from Forever 29 syndrome. I realize that comics have to do this so that they can have their characters around for as long as possible so younger generations can grow up with them, I know I would be less of a reader if batman ended 20 years after he started.

but the death of a character doesn't have to be the end of them, others can take up the mantle and bring justice to the people. It feels like with all the characters that get introduced as younger versions they could take over for their idols when they become too old or die. Just like our children taking our name when they are born, in a way they are just a younger newer version of their parents dealing with life in a newer time.

I feel that one important thing has always kept comics from receiving the acclaim they truly deserve and that is when a character dies they almost always come back to life, this simply takes away from the gravity of someone dieing. It's kind of hard to feel for Captain America dieing because I knew he would be back in a couple of months, and I couldn't take Bucky being Cap seriously because I knew Steve would be Cap again simply because his movie is coming out.

So back on point... my idea would be based around a few simple rules.

1) People would die and stay dead. this would give the deaths of characters MUCH more weight, knowing that not only would the the reader not ever see them again, but the characters around them wouldn't either. It would make writers try harder to craft better stories and would truly show their ability to make us the reader feel what the character feels.

2) There would have to be a date on everything, to give the sense of time everything would have to take place at some point, so writers would have to works around that, and there would be no more need to retcon anything. It would make the writer plan the stories out farther in advance and not have a jumbled mess of what happened when.

3) The Marvel World would be it's own. What I mean by this is that even if an event or a character's background is influenced by something that happens in real life it would not have to compete with the real life counterpart. For example, my comparison of Magneto and Professor X resembling Malcolm x and Martin Luthor King, in the Marvel world they really would be these two people. Their would be a whole lot less focus on blacks rights in the 60's when compared to the mutants rights in the same time, another example being the space race, instead of that happening it would the Fantastic Four traveling into space. Instead of being inbroiled in a war in the middle east as a result of 9/11 we would be facing a civil war with the heroes as a result of Nitro blowing up Stanford.

4) Younger versions of our favorite heroes would have their time in the sun. Say the Avengers in the 70's would consist of Hulk, Iron Man, and Cap, once the comics stories moved pasted the 90's and into the 2000's the Young Avengers Patriot, Iron Lad, and Hulkling would take over. The X-men would start out as Cyclopes, Marvel Girl, Beast, Iceman, and Angel in the 60's, they would grow to include Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Banshee, Sunspot, and Thunderbird in the 70's, then Gambit, Rogue, Psylocke, Bishop, and other in their respective time. Peter Parker would become Spider-man in the late 70's go through the death of Gwen Stacy, fall in love with MJ, get married have a child, retire and watch as Mayday Parker takes over the mantle of Spider-man in the next millennium.

5) Cutting out of the fat, There is roughly 50 or 60 years of stories to go through in the Marvel universe, Alot of great moments and alot of bad moments. This would be a retelling of the greatest moments as they happened in real life and skipping over the less then note worthy moments. with that much history they could easily pull off 20 or 30 years of these type of comics if they wanted to. It could pull new and old readers in and keep them coming back for more.

6) A new type of numbering system, I am so tired of seeing issues get renumber just to try and up sales, it doesn't work. what I think would work better is to base issues around what month they take place in in the context of the story, and then have the story arc as what volume it is based on.

7) With this retelling one important thing to remember is that the older characters would still have a spotlight, if this real time line took off Marvel could still produce new stories starring the older characters as a Marvel Classics line. Spider-man could forever be in high school stuck in his Archie dilemma of does he date Gwen or Mary-Jane, The X-men could always be Cyclopes, Jean Gray, Wolverine, and Storm. The Hulk would always be on the run from the Government. And they could keep the old numbering system.

So in short, if something happens it happened. there is no going back, people grow old and die. what would be important to remember is the time we have and how we use it, and life will go on through you, me, and our children and their children.
if anyone would like to hear some of my ideas for some of the stories just let me know, I have quite a few.

#2 Posted by firewrkninja (362 posts) - - Show Bio

i dont see this as a major change. all you are really asking is that people stay dead and people take up their mantles so that the younger heroes have time to shine and that they add dates to things really.

#3 Posted by bravephencer (9 posts) - - Show Bio

what I am trying to get across is not so much just that things have a date and that people stay dead. I want for their to be more of an impact when something happens, I hate how if I stop reading for a year I can come back and nothing has changed.  Or how they always claim there will be massive changes!!! and then 2 or so years later everything is back to the status quo. 

I think Comic would be taken alot more seriously if their actions meant something, like Cap being murder on the steps of congress. I just could not feel that sad or hurt or whatever about it because I knew he would be back in a year or two.

one of the reasons I thought this is up, is to never run into a debacle like one more day and brand new day EVER again.

#4 Posted by firewrkninja (362 posts) - - Show Bio
@bravephencer said:
  one of the reasons I thought this is up, is to never run into a debacle like one more day and brand new day EVER again.
in this regard i agree with you.
 @bravephencer said:
I think Comic would be taken alot more seriously if their actions meant something, like Cap being murder on the steps of congress. I just could not feel that sad or hurt or whatever about it because I knew he would be back in a year or two. 
also a gree with you here
@bravephencer said:
what I am trying to get across is not so much just that things have a date and that people stay dead. I want for their to be more of an impact when something happens,
this i like too
@bravephencer said:
I hate how if I stop reading for a year I can come back and nothing has changed.  Or how they always claim there will be massive changes!!! and then 2 or so years later everything is back to the status quo. 
this is the part that i dont like
how will they get new readers if they have to read the last two years to know whats going on.
i get what you are saying, it is a good idea but a hard to implement one too
#5 Edited by bravephencer (9 posts) - - Show Bio

that would be part of the point of this line would be there is not status quo,  I mentioned there could be a Marvel Classic line which would be nothing but the status quo.

if a new reader is trying to get into comics, they most likely already know about the character from movies and cartoon series and already have an understanding of their background. Anyone who starts reading is not going to just to pick up this months issue and start reading, that new reader is going to go to wikipedia or this website and ask someone what they should read first. in which case everyone is going to list of great examples of their favorite story arc and they'll catch up with trades of past stories that way, in which case it negates any need for number the issues anyway, the only people who pick up this months issues are the people currently reading, who this line would be geared toward.

and yes, if this was done the way I describe, it would have to be a massive undertaking, resulting in what would most likely be over a decade of comics being planned in advance.

#6 Posted by firewrkninja (362 posts) - - Show Bio
@bravephencer said:
that would be part of the point of this line would be there is not status quo,  I mentioned there could be a Marvel Classic line which would be nothing but the status quo.
it seems like you want the normal marvel universe to become the "classic" universe and a new universe with all the things that you said before in it as the regular universe. why not keep the regular universe and make a new "real" universe. kinda like ultimate comics but yeah whatever  i am tired
#7 Posted by bravephencer (9 posts) - - Show Bio

exactly, 616 would become the classic line, because that's what it really is. and the new universe or real universe would be like the ultimate universe but much much better and planned out in alot more detail.

#8 Posted by Joesoef95 (315 posts) - - Show Bio

I think DC did this once on Elseworlds. It was called Generations, if I'm not mistaken. It's by John Byrne. It's one the first Trades I read it's pretty good

#9 Posted by RazzaTazz (9611 posts) - - Show Bio

Its an interesting idea, but I think it would demand a level of creativity which comic book writers don't normally have.  I don't mean that writers lack the ability to be creative just say if some character died off from old age then they would have to be replaced by something new.  And when writers have to be spontaneous they sometimes produce complete duds.  Remember Orca?  I hope you don't. 
#10 Edited by Calvin (3479 posts) - - Show Bio
@bravephencer: Totally aggree with this!  

but the death of a character doesn't have to be the end of them, others can take up the mantle and bring justice to the people

I've been saying it for a while, too!   

Another thing I would add, make it WORLD WIDE! You don't need superheroes from every country, by try to spread them a little from the globe and make international events! - You will atract more people from other places to read the comics, and enrich the material with more cultural diversity!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.