Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Bucky Barnes:The winter soldier #5(spoilers)

errantknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By errantknight

Once again, what I'm left with at the end is not 'wow, great story', but is 'wtf is going on?', which has been the case in each and every comic in the series so far. It's particularly bad in the current plot which started in #3.

Why has Bucky apparently fallen in love with the alien queen at first sight? Even if one believes in love at first sight, which stretches credibility for me, Bucky's just not that sort of guy. The primary rule of storytelling is 'show, don't tell' and we're not shown any reason to buy that she's so amazingly compelling and he's become so trusting/desperate that this is even possible. Did she put some kind of alien whammy on him? Who knows? We're not being shown anything that's going on in his head. Ever.

I don't know Daisy, although I'm told that she's just as out of character as Bucky in this comic, but is she really such a putz that (clearly fake) Crossbones can just walk up to her and stab her in the gut?

Everyone's martial abilities seem to have taken a hit. It's obvious that we're not dealing with the real Crossbones here, but the combined abillities of Daisy and not one but TWO winter soldiers can't stop him from taking out his target, or even make a dent in him. Whatever that is in the Crossbones outfit, it better turn out to be pretty damn uber.

They've solved the problem in the early issues of not knowing who the heck is talking, but that really doesn't clear anything up, because we're just presented with an increasing number of questions with nary an answer in sight.

The artwork isn't helping, but hey, I could read a Bucky comic with stick figures if the story was good enough. All I'm left with here is 'who is this guy pretending to be Bucky and why is he such a loser?'

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.