Bob Iger Reassures Us Over Disney Buying Marvel

Posted by G-Man (33873 posts) - - Show Bio

Ever since the news broke last week about Disney buying Marvel, a lot of people have been sharpening their pitchforks.  A lot of people have been preparing for the worst over this deal.  There simply seems to be a lot of hate towards Disney.  I have had people ask me what I think.  Do I think Disney is going to change or "Disney-fy" all of Marvel's character.  My thoughts are that if Disney is going to pay $4 billion dollars on this deal, they're not going to change and ruin what is already working.  They're not going to throw away their money.  They're not on a crusade to make the world a happy and wholesome place.

Yesterday at the D23 Expo in Anaheim, California, Walt Disney Company president and CEO Bob Iger addressed some of the concerns that people seem to have.  Sci Fi Wire did a good job of summing it up.

"Marvel Stays Marvel."  Iger said, "There will be no Disneyfication of Marvel."  Marvel will continue to work independently.  They understand and respect what Marvel is doing.  Like I said, it's simply a matter of 'if it ain't broken...'

"It's all about story and character."  Iger emphasized the importance of the characters and the stories told in the Marvel Universe.  The characters have already been established.  Their origins and who they are is what makes them successful.  There's no reason to change or tweak them.

What about theme parks and movies?  Disney will want to try to expand Marvel's coverage around the world.  They will respect the deals already in place.  That means the Universal theme parks will continue to have their exclusive deal of having characters like Spider-Man and the X-Men as a presence there.  Studios like 20th Century Fox will continue to have the rights to the X-Men and Fantastic Four.

Pixar is a good example of what we can expect.  Disney understands the importance of the creativity behind Pixar.  At first they thought they could simply take Pixar's creations and expand on them themselves.  They know this wouldn't work.  John Lasseter was even brought in to talk to Marvel to explain how they would be able to operate as they have been.  Pixar is Pixar and Disney understands that Marvel is Marvel.  They both know what they're doing so why risk that?

Both sides will benefit from this.  Both Disney and Marvel have their strengths.  By joining forces they both win.  Disney has resources that Marvel doesn't.  This just means that now Marvel has a strong force supporting them.  This means we will see more of presence from Marvel and see more products that we can enjoy.

If that's not enough reassurance, check out what " ItsJustSomeRandomGuy" has to tell us about this:

Staff
#1 Posted by mv (1876 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL
#2 Posted by bx2lkboi (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm i was worried, but after reading this article it makes me feel a little bit better about the deal :D
#3 Posted by AirDave817 (813 posts) - - Show Bio

That exchange between Batman and Spider-Man is priceless! My sentiments exactly.

#4 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3554 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard a great rationalization about the Marvel/Disney merger.

Most people are worried that out favorite titles will get washed down and censored the way most Disney cartoons are. Well, Disney did own Miramax back when they made films like The Crow and Reservoir Dogs. Those weren't kiddy productions at all. There are parts of The Crow movie I can't watch without being bothered.

#5 Posted by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio
@FoxxFireArt said:
" I heard a great rationalization about the Marvel/Disney merger.

Most people are worried that out favorite titles will get washed down and censored the way most Disney cartoons are. Well, Disney did own Miramax back when they made films like The Crow and Reservoir Dogs. Those weren't kiddy productions at all. There are parts of The Crow movie I can't watch without being bothered. "
A lot of people forget about compaines disney own or have owned like Toybiz and so on, they very ralrey change things, I mean we might have a Captain America ride pop up at Disney. But they tend to buy things that are doing well and just let them keep doing it with very minor changes. I mean they bought the mighty ducks when they sucked and never changed that!!
#6 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3554 posts) - - Show Bio
@Final Arrow: I remember seeing the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular at Disney's MGM Studios when I was little. That was cool. I think I also rode that Star Wars ride they had about 3 times.

Hell, we might even get better support for Marvel animated series.
#7 Posted by Breaker envoy of Setron (1283 posts) - - Show Bio

Love the Captain Disney pic lol

#8 Posted by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio
@FoxxFireArt said:
" @Final Arrow: I remember seeing the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular at Disney's MGM Studios when I was little. That was cool. I think I also rode that Star Wars ride they had about 3 times.  Hell, we might even get better support for Marvel animated series. "
Thats my big hope, Marvel animated series have been in need of a kick up the bum, after seeing the wonder woman peice that DC came up with. But this could be what we need. Disney seem to want to get their hands into everything at the moment, I even read on Anime Vice  that they have bought the rights to show Naruto Shippedan (Not sure I spelt that right) to show on the Disney network. Which is another move I am happy for them to do as it may get a new audiance into Manga/anime.
#9 Posted by Adam Michaels (435 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know how Marvel fans could have thought that Disney would come in and take control of Marvel. I remember reading the first reports of the deal and what is said in this interview was said in those first reports. And that is that Disney will allow Marvel to continue being Marvel. They won't be intervening. 

I would continue reading so much hate and disappointment for this and everyone was still talking about how Disney will be in control of Marvel and ruin everything. But, really, that was already addressed from the very beginning. So either fans didn't understand what they were reading or they just didn't care and wanted to be angry for the sake of being angry.  

This interview should be clear to those who didn't pay attention to the first reports.  

I'm excited to see how Disney can help Marvel.
#10 Posted by Agent Buttons (13479 posts) - - Show Bio

LMAO
#11 Posted by ARMIV (4140 posts) - - Show Bio

...hmmm...

#12 Posted by SUPER-MAN 23 (2048 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting?

#13 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio

LMAOOL 

(Laughed my ass off out loud!)
#14 Posted by TheOmegaMan (165 posts) - - Show Bio
@Adam Michaels:
You sir are correct. I agree 100%! I don't know what happened, Fanboys across the comic galaxy got their panties in a twist and just wanted to cry and stamp their feet in protest...I can't wait to see how Marvel and Disney prosper with this new deal.
#15 Posted by Namor1987 (1889 posts) - - Show Bio

Good this is strictly financial so Im guessing this just means Marve/Disney has more spending movie so to speak & not creative wise but Disney has some badass action flicks like Aladdin, Hercules, Mulan, & Lilo & Stitch, & Lion King.

#16 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

Disney wants Marvel for the film industry not the comics.  They can also produce animation and toys.  People forget the Mirimax is owned or associated by Disney and if people are scared about Disney making adult themed movies don't forget that Mirimax made Pulp Fiction.  As Marvel says "Nuff Said".
#17 Posted by cadaver (143 posts) - - Show Bio

I think a lot of people hate disney, I know I do. when they buy out marvel, i'll quit buying marvel comics on principal. If marvel had bought out disney instead of the other way around, maybe I would have come to like them. well, dc has better writers right now anyway, and other than trying to sue the marks brothers 80 years ago, I don't have anything against warner bro. make mine dc.

#18 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio

That was the funniest thing I've seen all day. I liked the song with Spider-Man in the forest.
#19 Posted by Daae (36 posts) - - Show Bio

that video is killing me

#20 Posted by Nyogtha (353 posts) - - Show Bio

Now everyone can focus on DC and if THEY will change cause of new heads.

#21 Posted by jefprice (878 posts) - - Show Bio

A bugs life/Ant man cross over event!

#22 Posted by Xion (247 posts) - - Show Bio

Im happy that this article is making people understand that Disney is not gonna interfere with Marvel, they will back up Marvel :)

#23 Posted by Adam Michaels (435 posts) - - Show Bio
@jefprice said:
"A bugs life/Ant man cross over event! "

Incredibles vs. Fantastic Four 
Little Mermaid vs. Namor the Sub-Mariner 
Tarzan vs. Ka-Zar 
#24 Posted by ninjadude853 (270 posts) - - Show Bio

of course hes saying that now, but eventually even if it takes years, disney is going to want to "enhance" marvel characters and that is a BAD IDEA

#25 Posted by LastSon1027 (516 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is so wise.

#26 Posted by Hadez (164 posts) - - Show Bio

This was the statement that disney needed to put out sonner

#27 Posted by Adam Michaels (435 posts) - - Show Bio
@ninjadude853 said:
"of course hes saying that now, but eventually even if it takes years, disney is going to want to "enhance" marvel characters and that is a BAD IDEA "

And you base this on?
#28 Posted by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio

That was AWESOME

#29 Posted by Namor1987 (1889 posts) - - Show Bio
@Adam Michaels said:
"@jefprice said:
"A bugs life/Ant man cross over event! "
Incredibles vs. Fantastic Four Little Mermaid vs. Namor the Sub-Mariner Tarzan vs. Ka-Zar  "

Namor would be trying to sleep with her
#30 Posted by The Devil Tiger (1263 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not convinced : just wait untill one of the two will have bad financial result and see what they will do to each other.... 

It remember me when one local supermarket chain food of my counrty got buyed by another.  

First it was : "Oh no, we don't change anything !" 
Then it became : "Yeah, we've just changed the food that we used to sell, but it's rationalisation, you know ? It will be more effective that way !" 
And Finally, today, it's more like : "Oh, now, we've changed the name, after all the two chain sell the same thing, use the same financial politics, so..."

So, in matter of big money, I'm only trusting what I see and nothing else...
#31 Edited by The Sharp Dressed Lady (285 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, Bob Igers a serious duck when it comes to quality management, pun intended, and he's also a nice and respectable guy and a smart decision maker, so I don't have any qualms about anything in the newly extended House of Ideas. Personally, I can't wait for what will come from the future of all of this. 

And, oh, ya, the parody... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8D 

#32 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio

i havent even watched it yet, but i've been keeping up with itsjustsomerandomguy's Marvel/DC series for years.  the guys funny.
 and im not worried about Disney changing what happens in the comics.im worried about shitting onthe characters in real life. No, Disney never changed Pixar, but they included every last one of their characters into Disney's "World". Im pissed off about the inevitable Wolverine: The ride. Spiderman: new york swinging. Hulk Smash: the interactive experience. and when Marvel does break (cuz it has several times in the past),what then? will Disney let it fix itself? and what about Marvel's "what if's"? i havent heard anyone saying they would stay the fuck out of there.
  Im sorry, but im always gonna see ears on anything disney even kinda has a dip in. And i cant see them letting the blood sport and inappropriateness that is Deadpool going on for much longer. All it takes is for one parent to sue about an exposed ass or emplied sex/drug-use/ decapitation, and i know damn well that Disney is gonna step in and cut some fingers....

#33 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

Great video!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.