Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Avenging Spider-Man #1 Makes Digital Comics History

• 61 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided

There's always been the debate over which is better, physical or digital comics. Long time readers love having a physical comic to hold and read yet with more people getting digital readers, digital comics are becoming more appealing. The idea of having a library of comics available digitally on your portable device is one that be ignored. Many publishers are moving towards the same-day-and-date availability with physical and digital comics. When DC made their announcement with the 'New 52,' select comics would be available with a code for the digital version for one dollar more. Today, Marvel is taking that idea to a new historic level.

Avenging Spider-Man #1 from Zeb Wells and Joe Madureira will be polybagged with a code for a FREE digital copy of the issue on the Marvel Comics app. There will be no additional charge to retailers or consumers. Everyone that purchases the issue (any cover, including all variants) gets the digital for free. This is the first time a major comic publisher has offered a free digital comic with the purchase of the physical copy.

The digital copy of Avenging Spider-Man #1 will be accessible through both the Marvel Comics app and the Marvel Chrome store.

== TEASER ==

David Gabriel, Marvel SVP of Sales made the following statement.

We’ve included our retail partners in crafting this program, and worked with ComicsPRO in determining what would make this program the most beneficial to consumers and retailers and I think we’ve come up with something that is not only unique and exciting, but a program that addresses most of the concerns retailers have had with previous digital programs. With the earliest initial orders already over 100,000 units, Avenging Spider-Man #1 is set to be one of the biggest new releases of the fall and demand can only increase with these free digital codes. Our goal here is to give consumers the extra added value that they have come to expect for their entertainment dollar as well as the very best in comics entertainment that they have come to expect from Marvel! And that’s not all, for the first time, customers will be able to qualify their retailers for rewards by redeeming the digital codes! We’re also developing a program designed to drive digital customers into brick and mortar comic shops to help increase their business. Bringing the worlds of print and digital together in this way gives the customer a great value and one we’re sure will result in even greater sales for retailers.

What are your thoughts on getting a free digital copy? Does that give you more incentive to buy the comic or were you already planning on getting it?

Avenging Spider-Man #1 is written by Zeb Wells with art and cover by Joe Madureira. It's rated T+ with a $3.99 cover price and on sale November 9, 2011

webofdarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By webofdarkness

Eww. Digital.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Seems like Marvel is finally starting to set up its battle plan in keeping up with the competition of DC's New 52. A free digital copy is just fine but at this point for me, digital copies are only good in obtaining rare back issues for stories I want to complete and nothing more. But for those who totally love digital, then bring it on!

phillipjpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By phillipjpark

Digital is amazing if you have an larger sized ipad that allows your favorite trades with you, especially if you travel alot like me.

WonderBoy1132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WonderBoy1132

Okay...

So, as much as I enjoy sitting and reading a good ol' comic, I have to say digital is extremely convenient. I'm not sure if I could entirely switch over to digital but I am certainly considering using it more. Before that though, Marvel really needs to expand their digital market. We need apps for droids, windows phone, nooks, kindle fire. Come on marvel its time to take the leap.

ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5  Edited By ShirEPanjshir

Well, it is a start.

I like the idea of getting a free digital copy when buying the print version. Purely digital comics don't interest me that much, I'd rather hold the real thing in my hand, but there's no arguing the fact that digital copies on tablet devices are handy.

Tough I'd rather have them dropping their 3.99 prices ( which are about half Marvel's comics ) back to 2.99 USD.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cd905fc97
    deactivated-5a98cd905fc97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds good. I like how they're thinking of the brick and mortars.  I'm curious though, in the past, have Marvel app purchases transferable to the chrome Marvel store and vice versa?

Just so long as they don't "revamp" their entire line any time soon.  I can only take so much change at one time.

TheH2s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheH2s

I think this is great. I get all my comics digitally now and I don't think I could go back to the "old way". But I also think that $3.99 is still a crazy asking price for a comic book. I love that DC is dropping by a dollar after four weeks but I honestly think they should go further. Comics shouldn't be more than $.99 digitally, at the very most $1.99. It's hard to get people to read comics as it is, price should not be a factor but sadly is usually the most important.

I applaud Marvel for doing this but I truly wish both DC and Marvel would just go exclusively digital. It's the future! :)

maemmfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By maemmfc

@webofdarkness said:

Eww. Digital.

Ditto.

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9  Edited By zombietag

didnt tehy do this for justice league 1 too? maybe in a foreign country but still i thought i saw this

TheH2s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheH2s

@zombietag:

They had seperate issues that did this. It was called a Double Pack or a Combo Pack can't remember, but they raised the price by a dollar. This issue is throwing it in for "free".

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By fodigg

I always thought this should be how it was from the beginning. Make the digitals cheaper than floppies, but if you buy the floppy you get the digital gratis.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#12  Edited By The Impersonator

Not digitally cool, G-Man.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#13  Edited By Outside_85

It makes sense that you get a free digital version when you buy a paper issue...now if only you could get a paper issue when you buy a digital book, now that would be sweet. (cant subscribe to Demon Knights and retailers only exist 300km away from me...and comixology has an annoying reading format...)

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gmanfromheck

@zombietag: Justice League was available with a code for the digital for an extra dollar (kinda mentioned in the article).

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zombietag

@G-Man said:

@zombietag: Justice League was available with a code for the digital for an extra dollar (kinda mentioned in the article).

haha my bad. i was just scanning through the site before i had to go to work sry!

Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By Baddamdog

But why would you want a digital copy if you had an actual one?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#17  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

Bout damn time, DC should have done this in the first place.

Oh and technically this is not the first time buying a print comic included a free digital version, I forget the publisher but way back in the 90's a publisher tried it for one of its #1's, you got the polybagged comic and a digital version on a floppy disc, yep floppy with a floppy, at the time I believe the cover price was like $3 and they did not sell/offer a version without the polybag and floppy. I remember it sucked bad for my store cause storing them in the bins screwed up the comics around it if the bins were too tight...

webofdarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By webofdarkness

@maemmfc: I like tech as much as the next guy, but I want to be able to hold the comic book in my hand.

DarkChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By DarkChris

Revolution has begun! :D

Mumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mumbles

this book is going to sell a boatload with or without a free digital copy

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Chris2KLee

Digital all the way for single issues, and collected trades for a hard copy solution. Trying to hang on to the old brick and mortar style model is only gonna drag an already struggling industry further underground.

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Adnan

Hopefully Marvel and DC will start pushing each other competitively in the digitally, until maybe (although unlikely) we can get same-day digital releases cheaper than buying it IRL. 'till then, I'll stick to going to my LCS.

Schabbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Schabbe

IF you wanted to read Avenging Spider-Man, would you have to follow any other monthly series to get what's going on, anybody knows?!

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Meowshi

@maemmfc said:

@webofdarkness said:

Eww. Digital.

Ditto.

Yeah, I'd rather just have one version of the comic for the same price!

-_-

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Daveyo520

@webofdarkness said:

Eww. Digital.

pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

#26  Edited By pspin

If you already have a physical copy, why would you want the digital one also? I used to get digital on my iPad but didn't like it much, the physical copies are better, I think.

n25philly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By n25philly

I'll care when the marvel puts an app out for android. No comic is worth using any of apple's crap or the chrome browser.

WildStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By WildStyle

This is actually a good idea. Let's say you want to reread a comic while your out and you don't have the issue with you. Just pull out your device and read it on the fly. It's about convenience and accessibility more than anything.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jordanstine

You collect the comic and keep it in MINT condition, whilst you read the high-definition digital comic on your laptop / tablet.

Win-Win-Win!

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Daveyo520

I like the cover.

SQReview

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 152

#31  Edited By SQReview

I've been wanting publishers to do this for a while. They already do it with DVDs and Blu-Rays, we might as well do it with comics too. It lets you own it in all formats. After all, you paid for it. I'd love to be able to have my physical copy, then show people certain panels from books I own on my iPod without having to cart it around with me and possibly damage the comic.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I like to see that you can buy an issue and get a digital copy with it. It shows that printable comics and digital comics can work together.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By gmanfromheck

@zombietag: Not a problem, I was hoping my response didn't come across as catty or anything.

No Caption Provided
    zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By zombietag

@G-Man said:

@zombietag: Not a problem, I was hoping my response didn't come across as catty or anything.

No Caption Provided

oh no you didnt. although that literally just did happen to me when i read your comment. and im allergic. gonna have to find somebody to give it too.

grifter78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 159

#35  Edited By grifter78

Is is just issue 1 or all issues?

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By SevanGrim

It should be the other way around. Buy the digital and you can pick up the issue somewhere. Once we have the issue, the digital is only good if your A.) a collector who bags every issue and never touches them, or B.) the type of person who reads comics on the fly ALL THE TIME (there is nothing wrong with this, its just i dont know very many people who do it).

finally, it should only be a smal charge to get both. I know there was talk of comics with a code costing an extra dollar... but thats too much. 10 cents. 25 maybe. but why am i paying a third or quarter the cost to get what i already have?

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#37  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @webofdarkness said:

Eww. Digital.

gnarlycore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By gnarlycore

FINALLY.

thechessclub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By thechessclub

I wonder if it's different codes or if it's all the same code? If it's the later then everyone on the internet will have the comic in a matter of days

Standurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Standurd

digital = bullshit. What happens when skynet takes over and you cant access your collection huh

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
    deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

@webofdarkness said:

Eww. Digital.

Avatar image for cincyducksfan35
    cincyducksfan35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42  Edited By cincyducksfan35

It's not free when it's a four dollar Marvel book, you paid for it, they aren't losing any money on this deal. Stop with the four dollar books marvel. I can count DCs four dollar books on one hand(I think). But I would not have enough fingers and toes to count all of yours

mrzero1982pt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mrzero1982pt2

i hate marvel, but i will give it a shot

NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By NexusOfLight

That's a great idea. I look forward to picking this up.

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By iaconpoint

While I love my digital prose, movies and music, that love/desire hasn't translated to comics yet. I still like the collecting aspect. However, being as I haven't read a new issue of my beloved Spider-Man since the "Chapter One" debacle, I'll be giving this a try. What the hell? You only live a few times, am I right?

bodine1231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By bodine1231

Holy shit I didn't know Joe Mad was back doing comics!

maemmfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By maemmfc

@webofdarkness: That's exactly how I feel.

Xaviersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Xaviersx

I'd rather go all digital. I still have to get rid of or hold onto three filing cabinets of pretty much useless paper that I don't reread mostly because I hate digging thru to find a storyline I wish to revisit. I'll give Marvel a little good cheer on bumping up their digital game. What they need is a that sub $75 dollar device that feels right for comicbooks and magazines and then roll a subscription based all you can read, with a digital locker for your keeps and a library for your temporary checkouts, . . . maybe a print it section that gets the musky dusky snail mailed to you if you want.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49  Edited By Mrfuzzynutz

Huh?

Wait....AVENGING? Spider-Man?? and Joe Mad?

Screw the digital revolution, how the hell did I miss this?

Jamiracles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Jamiracles

I've got an Amazon Kindle on my phone so its all gravy now. Bring on free stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.